file High LFE levels

• Dwight's Avatar Offline school
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
    • Thank you received: 150
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Dwight Posted 8 years 10 months ago
My room is integrated for both HT & 2 channel analog music in pure direct mode. I balance my setup manually with T1 gains set to my liking so bass is not boomy or muddy & does not overtake the room. I run XT32 as the last step only after all other tasks are completed. Audyssey xt32 sets lfe trim level to -5 on one T1 sub & -8 on the other. If I were to increase the gain on the T1's Audyssey would set negative trims in my processor into double digits & impact EQ. Fortunately I am happy with current setting.
HT 7.3.4
Triton Ones
Triton One R
Super Sat 50's
Super Sat 50c's
Super Sat 3’s
140 inch 2.35 Elunevision Audio Weave AT screen
JVC X790
Pana. UB9000
Bryston 4Bsst2 power amp
Marantz MM7055 5 channel Power amp
Marantz M7025 2 channel Power amp (2)
Marantz AV7703 Preamp/processor
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• imahawki's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 578
imahawki Posted 8 years 10 months ago

Dwight wrote: My room is integrated for both HT & 2 channel analog music in pure direct mode. I balance my setup manually with T1 gains set to my liking so bass is not boomy or muddy & does not overtake the room. I run XT32 as the last step only after all other tasks are completed. Audyssey xt32 sets lfe trim level to -5 on one T1 sub & -8 on the other. If I were to increase the gain on the T1's Audyssey would set negative trims in my processor into double digits & impact EQ. Fortunately I am happy with current setting.

THIS is where I want to be. Its just that when I do exactly what you've done the LFE trim on my AVR is maxed out at -15dB. Maybe I have the gains set too high on Tritons. I'll run some frequency sweeps with my SPL meter and see if they're really as balanced as I think they are.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, Dwight, T Cobe

• Dwight's Avatar Offline school
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
    • Thank you received: 150
Dwight Posted 8 years 10 months ago
You may want to experiment with placement. Are your T1's in a corner or too close to front wall? They will sound better if located into the room & away from boundaries. Mine are set 4 feet from side walls but only 2 feet from back wall. I have added absorption panels behind each T1 to compensate that helped allot with sound stage & imaging. I also have read the T1's require 60 hours of break in.
HT 7.3.4
Triton Ones
Triton One R
Super Sat 50's
Super Sat 50c's
Super Sat 3’s
140 inch 2.35 Elunevision Audio Weave AT screen
JVC X790
Pana. UB9000
Bryston 4Bsst2 power amp
Marantz MM7055 5 channel Power amp
Marantz M7025 2 channel Power amp (2)
Marantz AV7703 Preamp/processor
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• Elite Member
  • Elite Member
My T1s are out from the walls. The room is a it asymmetrical because its a basement and the stairs coming down land at the front left of the room. But regardless, both speakers are about 30-35" out from the front wall. The right speaker is maybe two feet from the side wall, the left speaker is a bit further and is just forward of the stairs which have an angled half wall so its like over 6 feet to the left corner but its first reflection point is much closer to the first reflection point of the right speaker. I'll post some pictures and maybe a video.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by imahawki. info_outline
So I came home and did some more trouble shooting and I have to admit, I'm a little frustrated. I turned Audyssey completely off on my AVR. Then I grabbed my Radio Shack SPL meter and went into the speaker level menu in the AVR. Based on existing levels my main L/R, center, surrounds etc. were all at about 72 dB. So I went to the LFE channel and took a measurement. If you've used the Radio Shack meter to set up your channel levels, you know the needle bounces around a bit more on low frequency tones so I got a good reading between 72 and 74 dB and set it there. Then I turned on Avengers: Age of Ultron. The bass is very thin. I don't know how to better describe it but its just really not there. So I went back in just to see what it took to make it SOUND right and I ended up raising the LFE 10 dB. That is probably a little hot so maybe its closer to 7-9. But what is going on. This isn't relying on Audyssey, EQ is off, I'm manually measuring channels... I'm so confused and frustrated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 8 years 10 months ago
The Radio Shack SPL meter is down anywhere from 6 to 12 dB at 20 Hz from its 1KHz reference. Trust your ears, adjust bass level (volume control and LFE level) to suit your tastes, not the meter. It can't read low frequencies accurately.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back