file High LFE levels

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Man Guys,
What all did you guys get up to while I was sleeping?????? Dog!!!!!
I do love it here when we keep it light, friendly and helpful. Positive. (I dropped my side of the specs discussion as the Moderator Dude, GEt and I do not agree on that one, but to keep it friendly around here).
I would add that I too do not like Onkyo or Integra, but that would be negative, so I will not say it. Ha
AND I bought the XMC-1 because I need room correction and Audyssey does NOT work for my room at all. Ha
Seriously, somewhere back in the tomes of my (67) year old mind, what is left of it, I seem to remember that the spec for home theater is for the sub to be boosted by, is it 10 or 12 or 15 dB????? Or only 5? I can't remember but I think if you set everything flat with a meter, all speakers the same, then the sub has to be boosted.
It says 10 dB here: www.acousticfrontiers.com/2013314thx-reference-level/

I hope this helps, but perhaps I did not follow all the ins and outs of the discussion.
You have great speakers, I am sure you will get a fantastic sound!!!!
This is meant to be all part of the fun.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Yeah, it got a little tense for a bit last night as Imahawki tried making sense of the data associated with setting up his new system. I think we ended on a positive. I hope Imahawki was able to get lost in some music or a movie and forget a bit about the setup for a while. It's fun to tinker and tweak but if things don't go anywhere and you seem to hit a wall, that can get pretty frustrating. Moderator Dude did a good job trying to assist but in the end, there are just SO many variables, it's nearly impossible to address everything here in a forum.

I did a little tweaking of my own last night. I haven't fully settled on the setup of my sub that is positioned directly behind my PLP. It has been hooked up to a splitter; sharing the signal of my right sub in a stereo subwoofer configuration. I felt this was a little less than ideal and made adjusting my levels a bit sketchy. Thankfully, my pre-amp has a few options for passing LFE. Last night, I hook up my Triton's directly to my receiver and my third powered sub to my pre-amp. This way, I could adjust the levels of both Triton's to the same level first and then turned up the gain on the third sub until I felt it blended well.

During my level calibrations, I started getting some rattling from my left T1. I got a little worried for a minute but was quickly able to isolate the problem to a few loose screws on the base. It only took 5 minutes and I was back up and running. I was able to get my gain knobs on my T1s back to the preferred 13:00 position as well. In all, I'm pretty pleased with my bass integration as a result of my tweaking. Thanks to Imahawki for making me re-examine my setup as I attempted to assist him with his setup woes.

Nice reference on the LFE, Wayne. After last night, I decided going by ear is the best way for me to dial things in. I do have access to a much better sound meter than the cheap Radio Shack model I've been using. I may test my settings at some point just to verify my preferences and results. And of course, the Integra has to go...

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, imahawki

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Well said T. Cobe,
You are a peace keeper here.
Sure glad we have you!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe, imahawki

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 8 years 10 months ago
I just want to be sure that imahawki knows about the Sub-woofer ON setting option is his Onkyo. It is found under Option 3 Direct" in my Onkyo NR 3009. This setting supplies bass signals along the LFE connection lines when the Listening Mode is either Direct or Pure Direct.

When listening in the Pure Direct mode, I have used this feature to balance the bass - allowing me to set the Triton One LFE levels to 9:00 for both music in Pure Direct and movies in surround sound modes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• imahawki's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 578
imahawki Posted 8 years 10 months ago

ArthurDaniels wrote: I just want to be sure that imahawki knows about the Sub-woofer ON setting option is his Onkyo. It is found under Option 3 Direct" in my Onkyo NR 3009. This setting supplies bass signals along the LFE connection lines when the Listening Mode is either Direct or Pure Direct.

When listening in the Pure Direct mode, I have used this feature to balance the bass - allowing me to set the Triton One LFE levels to 9:00 for both music in Pure Direct and movies in surround sound modes.

I was aware, yes. But good reminder for others who may be in a similar position. However that wasn't going to work for me because I need the T1s to have the gain set correctly with NO processing. I'll be purchasing a 2ch preamp or integrated amp for stereo use... one with home theater bypass. So when that happens the AVR is out of the signal chain. The source component is hooked directly up to the 2ch pre/integrated which has no bass management.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• christo's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 25
christo Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Hey imahawki

Is your Onkyo an 809?

Christo
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back