file High LFE levels

• Dwight's Avatar Offline school
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
    • Thank you received: 150
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Dwight Posted 9 years 1 month ago
I have a dedicated HT & have my T1's located behind acoustic screen. I have a lfe cable connected from the T1's to my Onkyo 5508 SSP letting Audyssey xt32 manage bass levels. The lfe dial on the T1's are set to their lowest level. When I perform room measurements & the subs are pinged they register 75 db again with the dial on lowest setting. Post Audyssey results show trim levels for both subs cut by 6 db's & when I run a tone through my ssp they measure 68 db on my spl meter separately.

I also measured spl levels using REW & it should lfe was flat from 15 hz to 80 hz at 75db with both running together.

I suspect the room has allot of natural room gain but when I listen to 2 channel music without subs lfe sounds thin.

My treated room is 3100 cubic feet 8 ft tall by 16 ft wide by 26 ft long.

Wondering if anyone has experienced this & if so what were your findings?
HT 7.3.4
Triton Ones
Triton One R
Super Sat 50's
Super Sat 50c's
Super Sat 3’s
140 inch 2.35 Elunevision Audio Weave AT screen
JVC X790
Pana. UB9000
Bryston 4Bsst2 power amp
Marantz MM7055 5 channel Power amp
Marantz M7025 2 channel Power amp (2)
Marantz AV7703 Preamp/processor
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 1 month ago
Dwight,

We have discussed these same findings a great deal. Art and I have different approaches to this difference in gain between the LFE input and speaker level inputs.

In my approach, I use the LFE inputs for home theater and speaker level inputs for music. It sounds like this is your current approach as well. I have my gain knob set to approx 13:30 and the LFE on my receiver turned down to -9 dB to get my LFE levels around 80 dB. I like to run a little hot for theater but don't like as much bass in music. I have my Direct settings on my receiver set to subwoofer off and speakers set at full range. All of these settings combine to give me my preferred level of bass for both music and theater. I have found that using the subs for stereo music produces bass that is a little loose and boomy. In my set up, the bass produced by the speaker level inputs is tighter and more musical.

Art's approach, as I understand it, is to keep the LFE and subwoofers active during 2-channel playback and I believe he has the gain knob turned way down low as well. There are a few benefits I have discovered with this set up. First, the bass is certainly more powerful and easily fills my room. Second, with less amplifier power, it seems to aid the mids and highs in producing a cleaner and more clear sound. I see this a benefit for those driving their T1s with an AV receiver or low powered amp. Art may certainly do a better job describing his set up and results.

I see this as a benefit as you have flexibility for your preferences and in your environment to set up the T1s in whichever way suits you. I would encourage you to experiment with both setups and let us know what you find. I'm sure there are other approaches for this as well. Good luck fine tuning your setup.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, Dwight, rjohn79395

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 9 years 1 month ago
Dwight,

T. Cobe is correct regarding my setup. See my separate reply to your post.

I play music at lower room loudness than perhaps many people. Thus, I benefit from the stronger bass in my setup. Also, most of my listening s to classical orchestral and choral music. I enjoy, for example, hearing the low tones of a pipe organ fill my room and with enough presence that I can actually feel the notes. Also, I do not use the Audyessy room correction capability in my Onkyo.

Because the Ones offer both setup options, you can experiment with various sound combinations to find the best fit for your tastes.

Have fun and please continue to report your findings.

Best,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, Dwight, T Cobe

• Splash51's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 408
Splash51 Posted 9 years 1 month ago
Hi Guy's, my room is almost the exact dimensions as Dwight's. I am using the LFE inputs on my T1's as well. I have the gain on the T1 at 10:30. I am using a Yamaha RX-A1040 for preamp/processor. I have the T1's and SCXXL set to large with sub yes. The room correction set the sub distance to 32ft?? I changed that to 16 which is accurate.

What I have found to sound the best for me is the following;
L/R/C large, Sub yes, YPAO Flat (Yamaha room correction), No EQ. I have the bass xover set to 80.
The YPAO has the gain on the rears and SS at +4

This seems to work the best using the 1040, I expect different rcvr's handle the LFE differently. I originally used the speaker cable inputs. Changing to the LFE seemed to have deeper bass and was not boomie, (not sure that is a real word).

I use a track from Paula Cole "This Fire" the track called "Tiger" massive bass in this track. Very deep bass I tune the boomie out using this track. This track will exercise your subs!! You can get a good tight bass dialed in using this.

Enjoy!!!!

DT
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, Dwight, T Cobe

• Dwight's Avatar Offline school
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
    • Thank you received: 150
Dwight Posted 9 years 1 month ago
Did some work on my T1 setup yesterday & really like the results as follows:

I had the T1's 8 feet apart but felt the sound stage was lacking so I moved them out further to 10 feet apart. Sounds much better with much larger sound stage & improved imaging & great centre fill. With the T1's 10 feet apart they are 3 feet from side walls so lots of room plus I have installed acoustic panels to capture 1st reflections. I cannot do anything further with lack of space behind the T1's as they are on a HT stage with only 15 inches from rear wall. But the rear wall is covered with Linocoustic with 2 by 4 panels layered on top .

Next I moved the gain dial to 9:00 from the minimum setting & shut off the subs at the preamp. I have the T1's set to large with Audyssey turned off. I played some 2 channel music to see what changed. It sounded amazing. The bass was full but not boomy & didn't dominate the room. I could actually dial the bass back at bit but need to listen so more before I decide.

Later I want to watch some movies to see the effect of the wider sound stage plus I need to run Audyssey measurement setup again to capture new T1 setup.

Appreciate everyones assistance
HT 7.3.4
Triton Ones
Triton One R
Super Sat 50's
Super Sat 50c's
Super Sat 3’s
140 inch 2.35 Elunevision Audio Weave AT screen
JVC X790
Pana. UB9000
Bryston 4Bsst2 power amp
Marantz MM7055 5 channel Power amp
Marantz M7025 2 channel Power amp (2)
Marantz AV7703 Preamp/processor
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe, aribraun

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 1 month ago
Hey Dwight,
Those sound like really great moves!!!! Well done!!!!! The speaker positioning was smart. 3 ft. on the sides is great, 15 inches behind is not the best, but it sounds like you have compensated for it. I don't have enough room behind mine either.
How far back do you sit from the center between the Triton Ones?
I think it is great that you are not using Audyssey, I never could stand it.
Please let us know how things work out for movies too?
Have fun listening, God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dwight, Splash51

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back