file Tell us your preamp/amp for Triton 1 (or others)

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
anthem Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Moderator. info_outline
Dwight

Before you invest in a Preamp, install a Anti-Cable Reference 3 power cord on the Oppo 105...you may change your mind about adding a preamp...it's that good.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, Dwight, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Anthem,

I've read that most users prefer a pre-amp between their 105 and their amp. Are you still using the Prima Luna? Do you prefer the sound with a pre-amp as well?

Regarding the Anti-Cables, solid core cables have always interested my. In the grand scheme, these are very affordable as well. Their top of the line cable is MUCH less expensive than Shunyata's. Have you tried the Anti-Cable on any of your other gear? Rick and I would both be interested to hear your results. With this revelation, do you plan to try any of their interconnects?

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, Dwight, rjohn79395

• Dwight's Avatar Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
    • Thank you received: 150
Dwight Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Never thought about replacing power cables. It sounds like you have experienced the Anticables . Can you describe the change you heard ie increase in dynamics ,blacker background or larger sound stage? I am curious as this could be a much cheaper upgrade vs a preamp.
HT 7.3.4
Triton Ones
Triton One R
Super Sat 50's
Super Sat 50c's
Super Sat 3’s
140 inch 2.35 Elunevision Audio Weave AT screen
JVC X790
Pana. UB9000
Bryston 4Bsst2 power amp
Marantz MM7055 5 channel Power amp
Marantz M7025 2 channel Power amp (2)
Marantz AV7703 Preamp/processor
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Dwight's Avatar Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
    • Thank you received: 150
Dwight Posted 8 years 10 months ago
I have also read that most user do prefer a preamp inserted in the chain. I initially connected my 105 to my Onkyo 5508 processor as it has an analog pass through. It sounded ok but as an experiment I connected the 105 directly to the Bryston 4b. The improvement was jaw dropping. Improved sound stage, improved clarity, more dynamic. The list goes on. I only listen to 2 channel analog music with this configuration & use the Onkyo for surround sound movies. As mentioned earlier I am going to a local audio show next weekend & want to listen to some preamps to compare. I would like to know why most users prefer a preamp inserted into the chain vs direct amp connection? I guess I need to listen myself to make the comparison.
HT 7.3.4
Triton Ones
Triton One R
Super Sat 50's
Super Sat 50c's
Super Sat 3’s
140 inch 2.35 Elunevision Audio Weave AT screen
JVC X790
Pana. UB9000
Bryston 4Bsst2 power amp
Marantz MM7055 5 channel Power amp
Marantz M7025 2 channel Power amp (2)
Marantz AV7703 Preamp/processor
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 8 years 10 months ago
T Cobe

I feel my Primaluna Premium Preamp gives no added sonic benefits at this point, especially after hearing what the Anti-Cable Reference 3 powercord > Oppo 105 brings to the table. So for now the Primaluna will sit on the side, and may add it back in on a later date.

I haven't used the Anti-Cable on in other gear. I'm waiting to order (waiting to send back the Venom Digital) and when I do I'll be ordering 2. I haven't tried any of their interconnects...but there is always a chance...never say never.

Dilettante has tried their interconnects, but much prefers the Marine silver/copper wire, which I also have. He has tried the Kimber Silver Streak (may still own it) but still cherishes the Military Interconnects.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, Dwight

• lamia1's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 14
lamia1 Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Or you could not waste good money on snake oil and buy a quality pre-amp which can make a blind tested perceptible improvement. I've swapped out numerous high end cables, including power (which I think are the biggest rip off of any cable tweak) and the only improvement I hear is using balanced cables (generic but well made). I've swapped 4 good pre-amps in and out and there is a very obvious difference vs. just using an Ah! Njoe Tjoeb cd player's direct output. A good pre-amp (my two best} like a Rogue Magnum tube vs. my Mark Levinson 380s (top of the line at it's time), take the sound a big and obvious step forward, mostly in terms of sound staging- width and depth are much better with a sweeter balance- something it took a lot of room treatment to achieve considering the Triton 1's can be bright. Mark Levinson amp also makes a small difference over other quality amps, but less than the pre-amp to my ears. I've got 4 sets of interconnects as well as several sets of speaker cables that were top rated/cost thousands (left to me by a friend so I have no $ in the game to bias my perception), and they make no audible difference. To me, it's like the debate between science and religion, those who spend crazy money on things like cables believe in faith, I believe in physics which would say there is no demonstrable difference nor reason why some of these cables would improve the sound.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, Dwight, aribraun

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Clubhouse Show Off Your GoldenEar System Tell us your preamp/amp for Triton 1 (or others)