file Tell us your preamp/amp for Triton 1 (or others)

• Dm's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 34
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Dm Posted 8 years 10 months ago

Dwight wrote: I just found this topic & wanted to share my experience. I am using a Bryston 4bsst2 and it sounds silky smooth with my T1's. I recently got a OPPO 105d connected directly to the Bryston using 2 channel analog xlr connections. I am upgrading the xlr cables with Better Cables Serpeant. I trust it will be a big improvement over the generic xlr's I have been using. I have been listening to allot of 2 channel high res jazz & the direct connection to the Oppo from the Bryston sounds much better then connections through my HT Onkyo processor. I now only use the Onkyo for surround sound for movies.

I am toying with the idea of inserting a class A preamp between the Bryston & OPPO. Not sure if I can hear any difference compared to the Oppo 105d. Looking at a Bryston BP26 or BP17. Going to the TAVES (Toronto Audio Video Entertainment Show) next week show will have an opportunity to listen to different products.

I'm using kimber select xlrs (all of my cables are now Kimber select or Summit) with the Bryston 4BSST2 and they are fantastic. Check them out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, Dwight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 8 years 10 months ago

lamia1 wrote: ... considering the Triton 1's can be bright.

I don't think so, maybe you need some better cables. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, Dwight, T Cobe

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Good one Moderator Dude!!!!!!!
That gave me the Laugh of the Day!!!!!!!
Dog, I hate cable arguments, AND especially when they invoke SCIENCE and then they get over into RELIGION.
Then they are interchangeable, cables and science and religion.
MERCY.
I will not stay in this discussion.
Have fun boys, God Bless (science bless? cables bless? nah)
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, Dwight, T Cobe, aribraun

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Hi Dwight,
The straightest connection, the simplest route for an audio signal is usually the best sounding. There is an argument that from the source to the speakers, anything that is in the audio path can only detract from the pure sound, there is no way to add something to make the sound better.
So your simple, straight connection from player to amp is a great idea---often the BEST idea.
But there are LOTS of reasons that so many people use a pre-amp, ease of connection, impedance matching, routing signals to home theater or two channel, processing for room correction or other processing, etc. Sometimes pre-amps are also used to correct for problems that were introduced by something else, but this is not a good thing.
You have to do what works best for you.
Have fun with it, God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dwight, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by T Cobe. info_outline
Wayne,

I agree on less in the signal path is better but I believe the Oppos have some sort of "pre-amp" circuit in them since they can control volume. I'm sure the 105 is better than the Oppos I have had and tried and I trust Anthem's opinion on a pre-amp not being required for this model. I've tried with my 103 and an older model, I believe a bdp-83, and the direct sound was not as good. On the older model, there were audible clicks/pops when I adjusted the volume. In my case the sound was better when using either my 70.2 or XMC-1 with my 103, but the 105 is in an entirely different league.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, Dwight

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Dwight:

You ask what I'm hearing via the Anti-Cable Level 3 Reference Series Power Cord.
A Power Cord can Improve a Component's Sound if it Can:

Provide an unrestricted source of power into the audio component
Restrict the amount of noise on the power mains from getting into the audio component
Provide a fast path for noise generated in the power supply to get out of the audio component
Each of the many wire strands used to hand build an AntiCable Power Cord is drawn in a way that forms the wire into a cross sectional molecular shape which allows noise coming from the component's power supply to quickly escape the component on the skin of each wire strand. In doing so, the AntiCable Power Cords help to keep the component's own power supply noise from contaminating the music.

This processed wire also has the great advantage of time smearing any noise traveling in the wire in the opposite direction, thus reducing the amplitude of noise getting into the audio component from the wall outlet.

Our customers, who are already running third party upgraded power cords as well as power conditioners, are reporting getting better sound, not only by replacing their existing power cords but also by bypassing their power conditioner altogether. The AntiCable Power Cords appear to be so good at restricting the flow of noise from the wall outlet, that the power conditioner is not additionally beneficial. And, when the AntiCable Power Cord is plugged directly into the wall, it has the ability to do a better job of getting the noise out of the component's own power supply, as well as doing a better job at providing unrestricted power to the unit. In most instances, best sound is achieved with a direct connection to the wall outlet.

Sound Improvements Typically Heard Include:

Greater dynamics
Darker background
Sounds "more natural"
Greater bass extension
More tuneful bass
Greater high frequency extension
Less high frequency electronic signatures
Digital sources will sound much more analog like
Much more resolving of music information
More relaxing
Deeper soundstage

I'm hearing everything described above, especially "less high frequency electronic signatures"...bass extension and a more tuneful bass are quite evident. Everything is more neutral than ever before.

The Shunyata Venom Digital power cord just can't compete with the Anti-Cable in the "less high frequency electronic signatures" department, the Anti-Cable wins handsdown. The Venom Digital, in and of itself, is a fine PC, but the Anti-Cable can blow it away in different areas, especially the bass and treble extension.

My Decware Zen Torii MK4 is so good it does not need an preamp. The Oppo 105 (powered with an Anti-Cable PC) directly into the Torri is giving me sonic bliss.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dwight, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Clubhouse Show Off Your GoldenEar System Tell us your preamp/amp for Triton 1 (or others)