file Tell us your preamp/amp for Triton 1 (or others)

• Dilettante's Avatar Offline school
  • ALL things work together for good...
    • Thank you received: 94
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Dilettante Posted 9 years 9 months ago
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by Moderator. info_outline
I am in the process of buying the Triton Ones. I would like those that have them to please list your preamp (if one) and amp you are using and what you think of them. I now have an OPPO 105 and using Emotiva XPL 1L mono blocks - but am open to change the amps if need be to better suit the Ones once they arrive. Also any employees at Golden Ear want to tell what they are using to drive the Ones. This will be for my stereo system only - my theater room is already set up with Def Teck gear (sorry about that!). I need some help - need some input. Thanks in advance!!!
OPPO 105 - Decware Torii MK IV - Triton Ones
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, georgemrvossr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 9 months ago
Hi Dilettante,
I wish I could help, I don't have the Triton Ones, I have the Twos. And I use a Marantz AV7005 pre-processor as my pre-amp. So not what you are asking about. But I hate to see your question go unanswered here.
I am getting a really good sound from the Triton 2s using the Vincent hybrid tube & transistor amps (SP-T800). But your amps may well be great. I am not familiar with them.
I mention this because the Vincent SA-T8 pre-amp is a tube piece of kit that is highly reviewed and might be really great for you!!!
Here is a link to it, IF you want to read about it: www.vincent-tac.de/en/product-lines/premiumline/sa-t8/
Here is rather old review by now, but the Absolute Sound reviewer here really liked this pre-amp: www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/tas-18...monoblock-amplifier/
Hope this helps. Have fun putting together a killer good system, and listening to the tunes.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

• georgemrvossr's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 11
georgemrvossr Posted 9 years 9 months ago
I have owned Triton 2's for about a year now. When I purchased them I also bought the Modwright KWI-200 integrated amp. Let me tell you ... what a fun system to listen to. Very warm and detailed with great bass. Just sounds like real music. Well ... over the course of the year I got upgrade-itis and decided that I would buy separates that would one day drive some really exotic speakers like Wilson Audio Alexia's, etc. So I bought a Mark Levinson No326S preamp and a pair of McIntosh MC601's knowing that it would be complete overkill for these speakers but then again ... I was buying for the future. What I can say is that as I have swapped components and cables I have noticed every change in the system. These speakers are extremely revealing and very easy to listen to for long periods of time. Honestly, I am liking this setup better than what I heard in the showroom where the MC601's were setup with B&W802D's. I'm not saying the Triton 2's are a better speaker but I can say I like the way my system sounds better than what I heard there. I currently have Shunyata Cobra balanced interconnects and Cardas Clear Light Speaker wire. Buying my cables used so working with what I can find as I have the budget!

Clearly you don't need to spend $30,000 on seperates to enjoy these speakers ... the Modwright KWI-200 was amazing in its own right and might be something you want to consider. What I am saying is that no matter how far you go up the upgrade path with these speakers, they never seem to be the weak link. A year after buying these speakers I still can't believe how good they are regardless of the money ... Now I'm beginning to wonder about the Triton 1's ... maybe I'll just leave well enough alone for now! :-)

George
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth

• Dilettante's Avatar Offline school
  • ALL things work together for good...
    • Thank you received: 94
Dilettante Posted 9 years 9 months ago
Thank you Wayne and George

Wayne I am going to look up the Vincent. I like the thought of using tubes for the preamp and SS for the amp - this hybrid might be the thing.

George - I have a friend who is encouraging Modwright also (LS100) - well that or the Audible Illusions - he got them from TX from a store that sells GE products. He loves the Triton One's.

I am still up in the air about what to do. I have researched and researched - been to all the audio places in ATL to hear what I could - but the ones that are recommended by audio "nuts" don't seem to be readily available to listen tp - most stores have run of the mill products.

Just saw a almost new $7K Krell for sale for about half price (2 months old) - but while they are have a great reputation, how it sounds with a Triton is unknown. That is why those that have Triton equipment are the best resources for components to put with it.

Thanks for taking up your valuable time to share information with me - going to look up all you two have suggested!! Carl
OPPO 105 - Decware Torii MK IV - Triton Ones
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 9 years 9 months ago
None of us have Ones yet, they are back ordered :(

Sandy uses a Decware SET amp on his Twos most of the time, and I think he has a MSB Dac as his front end these days. At trade shows we have been partial to big buck stuff (Pass Labs, ARC, MSB, Aurelac) on the Ones and Twos, but have also run them at shows on modest gear (Peachtree, NAD) with exceptionally good results. At the RMAF, Triton Ones produced spectacular sound with a top of the line Marantz integrated amp.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 9 years 9 months ago
Did Sandy get a decware zen torii mk4 ...if so, is he impressed?
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Clubhouse Show Off Your GoldenEar System Tell us your preamp/amp for Triton 1 (or others)