file Tell us your preamp/amp for Triton 1 (or others)

• lamia1's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 14
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
lamia1 Posted 9 years 5 months ago
Well, with a Roger Smith design vs Ferrari, the differences can be better appreciated because they both ultimately drive on a road and the outside variables are less pronounced leaving just the car's performance. When you play different speakers in your room, that room is going to have a very dramatic effect on the sound, especially in the frequency balance. So a light bump in mid-highs may well be totally lost or amplified depending upon the room, I think the engineering is the difference, and knowing how to take advantage of it. Clearly, Tritons are designed differently from most speakers, and have a unique tweeter which provides detail that other non-ribbon designs can't. How that engineering is implemented certainly plays a big part. I had to treat my listening room extensively with bass traps and 1st & 2nd reflection absorption, as well as rear wall absorption to tame an overly bright sound. Once this was done, the speakers are truly world class in many areas.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, Dilettante

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 9 years 5 months ago
Cool perspective, thanks. I will only add that the room is a constant just like any given road, both cars on the same bad (or good) road. And likewise most speakers respond to the room, especially at low frequencies, the same way. And yes, certainly true that the Tritons design is different than most, but like all wide dispersion speakers, interacts with room boundaries that, if not controlled, will smear transients and spoil imaging and detail. Usually, normal room furnishings and wall coverings do a pretty good job of controlling these factors.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, Dilettante

• Dilettante's Avatar Offline school
  • ALL things work together for good...
    • Thank you received: 94
Dilettante Posted 9 years 5 months ago
I have been experimenting with different speaker cables and interconnects. I note with the T1s I have to be especially on guard for them getting too bright - my latest silver interconnects helped the brightness over the edge - had to go back to full copper. I wish I could do more for controlling the road (ie, sound traps) but being a formal LR that is just not an option.
OPPO 105 - Decware Torii MK IV - Triton Ones
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 9 years 5 months ago
New Decware Amplifier due out this summer:

I have been working on new Decware Amplifier... and am sending this note out to everyone on the Customer Appreciation List as the earliest possible notice. The new amp is scheduled to debut in July and you might find it to be an interesting possibility.

Presently you can buy our 2 watt amp for around $900 bucks, our 6 watt for around $1300 and then it jumps to 25 watts for around $3500 which is our Torii MKIV. As you can see pictured above I am just finishing the chassis design for a TORII JUNIOR that will be priced to fit nicely in that $1300 to $3500 gap. At 16 inches wide by 12 inches deep it will be the same size as our SE34I.4 amp and use the same wooden bases.  

I will be using the original TORII circuit in this design, hence the name TORII JR.  To get a TORII to fit into a smaller chassis like this, I will be building a single huge power supply instead of 2 smaller ones, and making the output stage ultra linear. This will eliminate one of the Voltage Regular Tubes that is used to regulate the screen on the output tube, since ultra linear uses part of the output transformer to accomplish this.

Also, it's important to note that this amp will be built with new DECWARE UFO transformers featuring a bandwidth of +/- 1.5dB between 10Hz and 100kHz. To achieve this bandwidth requires ultra precision winding with high interleaving and 3 times as many core laminations. This kind of precision is what gives the transformers such a stunning transparency, and that's the goal. The ultra wide bandwidth is simply a side effect of achieving that goal.

Power wise this zero-feedback amplifier should come in at a healthy 20 watts .

So if you've wanted a bit more power than 6 watts but couldn't quite swing the price of a TORII, this could be a very good summer!

Stay tuned to the web site and the forums for details as they come out.  And thanks for getting on this Customer Appreciation Email List. Anyone interested in this amp can contact me to get on the waiting list. The first 10 amps are going to be sold for 10% off.

Happy listening!

Thanks,

- Steve Deckert
Decware / High Fidelity Engineering Co.
75 S. Riverview Dr. East Peoria IL 61611
Blog: zenamps.wordpress.comPhone:
(309) 822 5255
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• Dm's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 34
Dm Posted 9 years 4 months ago
I use the Benchmark DAC2 as my preamp. This is coupled to a Bryston 4BSST2 amp, Kimber Select 2416 USB cable, Kimber Select 1126 Balanced cables, and Kimber Monocle XL speaker wire, with Shunyata power cables and Richard Gray power conditioners (2 400 Pros and a 600).
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, Dilettante, stereo5

• stereo5's Avatar Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
    • Thank you received: 201
stereo5 Posted 9 years 4 months ago
You have quite the nice system there. Enjoy it and may you discover new music.
Technics SL1200G TT with ZU DL103,, McIntosh c2500 all tube Preamp, Sony HAP-Z1ES Music Server, Esoteric UX-3 CD/SACD Player, McIntosh MR88 FM HD Tuner, McIntosh MC302 300wpc amp, GE Triton Reference Speakers, Shunyata Hydra's Power Conditioners & Power Cords, + more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Clubhouse Show Off Your GoldenEar System Tell us your preamp/amp for Triton 1 (or others)