file Tell us your preamp/amp for Triton 1 (or others)

• Ransom's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 12
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Ransom Posted 9 years 8 months ago
Wow! I've never heard of that, but it makes sense. I guess mine aren't close enough or maybe I don't crank it enough to produce such effects. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 8 months ago
Hey Ransom,
Here is a video that illustrates and extreme example in, I think it is a Mesa Boogie pre-amp.
www.tubedepot.com/what-is-a-microphonic-tube
I did not experience this, just distortion and a little bit of over hang or over ring after a big bass note.
Hope this helps,
Have fun, Happy New Year,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 9 years 8 months ago
So a microphonic tube only occurs with low bass notes?
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!

• Ransom's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 12
Ransom Posted 9 years 8 months ago
Well, I think we are primarily talking about some pretty seriously foolish amp placement to get unpleasant effects. Tubes have been used in guitar amps for years on stage where the db levels are pretty darn high and things will certainly be shaking and without ill effects. In the video the guy is literally flicking the tube and he says the corresponding sound is a sign of a bad tube. I don't think it is something anyone would expect as typical of a good tube by any stretch. Personally I've never had any issue and I wouldn't go SS again until I could afford to spend a whole lot more, but that's me. For example, if you split the cost of my integrated into pre and power it works out to be about $1,700 each, which is pretty reasonable in my book. I'd love to be able to put 3-4k into each with a good solid state setup to get the same sound. This is all personal preference of course. Personally I think the thread opener will be pretty happy with the 1Ls. In that price range I don't think they will be beat easily. Just my opinion of course :)

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 8 months ago
Sorry Bro Anthem, Ransom and others,
That video might have introduced more confusion than help.
I thought it was good to let you see how sound impinging on the glass of a tube can get carried through to the speakers.
And some tubes are badly microphonic, some not.
My point Bro Anthem was *in my initial setup* the bass notes from my Tritons (with the side radiating panel) were too near to my amp and impinging on my amp tubes and muddying up the sound. IF I could put my amp in the middle between my two Tritons, a good 5-6 feet from each one, then I might still be using it in my home theater. But, sadly, I can't put it there (and still watch the TV).
I probably would not use it in the home theater anyway, because I need that setup to ROCK!!!! LOUDLY.
I find my Triton 2s love to ROCK out, they seem to like to play loud. More so than my tube amp likes to do.
So it got relegated to the living room between two T 7s and makes that system sound oh, so sweet!!!!!
I hope this helps, and sorry for any confusion.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, Ransom

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 9 years 8 months ago
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by anthem. info_outline
For Christmas I got a Decware Zen Torii MKlV > Oppo 105 > T2's

This is a dual mono 12 valve Class A Push Pull Amplifer - zero negative feedback - 25 watts

It comes with:
2 adjustable treble controls
2 reconstructive (positive) feedback switches
2 bass control switches
2 on/off switches
2 input Jacks and switch
2 speaker impedance switches
1 gain knob (volume control)

With all the different switches there are 16 sound combinations to experiment with. It's literally 16 different amplifiers at your fingertips.

As the weeks go by, I want to put my Primaluna Premium Preamp into the mixture and see what we can stir up.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Clubhouse Show Off Your GoldenEar System Tell us your preamp/amp for Triton 1 (or others)