file Tell us your preamp/amp for Triton 1 (or others)

• stereo5's Avatar Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
    • Thank you received: 201
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
stereo5 Posted 9 years 8 months ago
Sorry to hear you are still having problems.
Technics SL1200G TT with ZU DL103,, McIntosh c2500 all tube Preamp, Sony HAP-Z1ES Music Server, Esoteric UX-3 CD/SACD Player, McIntosh MR88 FM HD Tuner, McIntosh MC302 300wpc amp, GE Triton Reference Speakers, Shunyata Hydra's Power Conditioners & Power Cords, + more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 8 months ago
Hi Lamia1,
I too am sorry to hear you are still having problems. And I agree 100% that your ML equipment should make these speakers sound awesome!!!! And I would try re-positioning the speakers first and foremost, before worrying about EQ and room treatment (both of which may be needed and may help). I hear a remarkable amount of change in the sound with just a little movement of the speakers.
Let us know what you find out and know that we are rooting for you!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

• stereo5's Avatar Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
    • Thank you received: 201
stereo5 Posted 9 years 7 months ago
Hi Lamia1.......

I found the opposite, the speakers were quite bright at the dealers, but not at my home in my room and on my system. I did read somewhere that Golden Ear engineered a little peak in the treble because Sandy and others who were testing the speaker felt it sounded better that way. May I suggest a different cable between the amp and pre or speaker cables? I was using a Kimber Silver Streak cable between my Esoteric SACD Player and the preamp and found the highs a little bright. The Kimber uses silver on the hot side and copper on the ground.

All my other sources (Magnum Dynalab Tuner, Wyred4Sound DAC, VPI Turntable) all sounded wonderful so it was easy for me to pinpoint the problem. I changed out the cable for a spare Groneberg Quattro Reference cable (My DAC and tuner use the same cables) and the brightness went away. The reason I went with the silver cable in the first place was because my Von Schweikert speakers seemed a little dull with the SACD player, and the Kimber Silver Streak added just the right amount of sparkle. I think with the pleated ribbon tweeter the sound is so much more pristine and pure and much less distortion, that it may be sensitive to bright cables.

You could also point the speakers straight ahead to tame the treble peak or even toe them out from you. That may be just the ticket. The imaging may suffer a little but the brightness should disappear. I would remove all the GIK panels and the eq and try what I mentioned. What cables are you using in your system? Your electronics and speakers are VERY revealing and a tamer sounding cable may fix the problem. Perhaps your dealer has cables you can try out at home? My dealer (Audio Concepts in Attleboro, Massachusetts) offered me a loom of Nordost cables to try but I declined mostly because I don't want to spend any more money and because I am very happy with what I am already using. The Wall by Pink Floyd sounded incredible today on my system.

I hope I have helped you a bit
Technics SL1200G TT with ZU DL103,, McIntosh c2500 all tube Preamp, Sony HAP-Z1ES Music Server, Esoteric UX-3 CD/SACD Player, McIntosh MR88 FM HD Tuner, McIntosh MC302 300wpc amp, GE Triton Reference Speakers, Shunyata Hydra's Power Conditioners & Power Cords, + more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem

• mdewire's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 4
mdewire Posted 9 years 7 months ago
I just brought home my Triton Ones yesterday and so far I am really impressed with the sound. I am listening to my favorite music and so far every song sounds so much clearer and dynamic. I have my speakers connected to my McIntosh MC352 power amp driven by a McIntosh C2500 tube preamp. The combination sounds very good. My system will pass through when the home theatre receiver is power up. I am using the LFE cables for the built in subs with the speakers set to large and LFE only driving the sub section. The LFE is simply awesome in this mode of operation. I am very happy with the Triton ones so far. Last night when listening to them in Stereo only mode even my wife noticed how much clearer the sound was when playing some of her favorite music.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 9 years 5 months ago
Stereo5 quote: I did read somewhere that Golden Ear engineered a little peak in the treble because Sandy and others who were testing the speaker felt it sounded better that way.

Is this true?
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 9 years 5 months ago

anthem wrote: Stereo5 quote: I did read somewhere that GoldenEar engineered a little peak in the treble because Sandy and others who were testing the speaker felt it sounded better that way.

Is this true?

The difference between a great speaker and a good speaker is rarely related to engineering and almost always related to the art of speaker design. Sandy and his design teams' "art" is taking the next step after the science is done. Little, often un-measurable, tweaks make huge differences. There are many "it sounds better this way" changes made after initial engineering has completed the task to get to the point where critical listeners agree, "this is something special". Its the difference between having Roger Smith design your car, or Enzo Ferrari.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, stereo5, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Clubhouse Show Off Your GoldenEar System Tell us your preamp/amp for Triton 1 (or others)