file Tell us your preamp/amp for Triton 1 (or others)

• Splash51's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 408
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Splash51 Posted 8 years 9 months ago
T Cobe,

I will definitely share my findings with everyone. I was surprised at how much better the XPA-1L/XPA-1 sound over the XPA-2(bridge mode).

I am currently working with Emotiva for a replacement of 1 of the XPA-1 I just received. It listened to it for about 5 minutes then had to go. I left the system running low volume to break them in. I came back about 2 hours later and 1 of them was in standby mode. The house smelled of burnt electronic parts!!! I did not see any signs of fire just the smell. The unit will not power up to functional state. EMO is sending me another one. I have to ship the failing unit back, they pay for all this shipping. I have to lift this behemoth into my truck and take it a UPS store to send it back. BACK being the key word, its a back breaker:) 84Lbs in the box.

FYI, the people at EMO have been a pleasure to work with. The support folks are very responsive and you talk to real people!

Currently I am running the front L/R with XPA-1L on the left and the XPA-1 on the right, until the replacement arrives. Sounds fantastic, I suspect I wont hear any difference between them unless a much higher volume is applied. In fact I had decided on all XPA-1Ls but EMO removed them from the sale. I suspect they are all gone and discontinued as they were sold with no return option during the sale(bummer) Those were a steal!! Class A power and 250w if needed for $500 a channel!!

Enjoy!!!!
DT
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
charliehatch Posted 8 years 8 months ago
I bought a pair of Triton Ones about a month ago. These were to upgrade from my pair of B&W 683 S2s and a Hsu ULS-15 sub. I had thought that the 683s were pretty darned good, and that I must be crazy spending $5k on replacement speakers. I had also been worried about whether my 15A service was going to be up to supplying two 1600W speaker amps, plus all the other A/V stuff I have on the line. But I didn't find anything on the web mentioning problems with this, so I bit the bullet.

The system as of now, purely 2.0:
Oppo 105D
Morrow Audio MA7 balanced interconnects
Channel Islands Audio E-200S amp (200 Wpc, Class D)
Morrow Audio SP7 speaker cables
Triton Ones

Simple, but, as they say, effective. The Triton Ones replaced the 683s and the Hsu sub.

I initially put the Triton Ones in the same location where I had my 683s. My initial impression was of unbelievable detail and seemingly unlimited bass extension. No matter what I listened to I could hear details I had never heard before. Classical orchestral music has multiple layers of instrumentation that I can clearly hear and follow. Pink Floyd's "Welcome to Machine" is now a religious experience. I was most impressed with the clarity of short transients like drum or wood block strikes, this thanks to the superb time alignment of the drivers (see the Stereophile review measurements). Imaging is excellent with a wide and deep sound stage, truly three dimensional.

Movies are....well...beyond anything I've ever heard (even in 2.0!). Sound effects are clear and precise, not bloated. You are really there.

After a month of experimentation with room placement to minimize room modes, I have found a very good location that gives me pretty smooth bass response to 120 Hz. The placement has also improved image stability. Concert grand piano images have given me the most trouble (why is that particular note way off to the right?), but now images are stable over the full range of the piano. (This image issue is, I think, because I have an asymmetric living/listening room, big wall openings on the right side, solid on the left.)

So, what about the power consumption? I put an inline meter into the power line to one of the Tritons, and turned up some low frequency pipe organ music until the house was shaking (literally!). One speaker was drawing only around 3 amps, so there is plenty of headroom on the supply. At least at the levels I listen at. Thank you Class D.

Most of the time I'm playing the Oppo at a volume level of 60 or so. At this setting, the amp is nowhere near the 200W limit. Since the spec I saw say the Tritons can handle over 600W, I no longer have any fear that I'm over stressing anything, no matter how loud I listen.

A good friend of mine (an audiophile who has heard this system) asked me the other day if I have any buyer's remorse. None at all! I am thrilled every time I listen.

Congratulations to the design team for producing such an excellent product. There is real value here.

Charlie
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe, aribraun

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Well said Charlie!!!!!
Welcome to the forum.
Sounds like a GREAT system you have, please keep us posted if you branch out into surround sound.
And feel free to post any time, you write well, we would enjoy more input from someone like you.
Classical to Pink Floyd, my kind of man!!!!!
Happy Listening,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Charlie,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new setup! Looks like a pretty nice pairing. I'd never heard of CIAudio before. Class D is making big strides and their gear looks quite nice. Is your Oppo 105 silver as well?

Great description of the T1's sound. I have found the same. I auditioned the B&W 683s when I decided on GET and the Triton Ones. I also had no intention of spending that much but it was love at first listen for me. My last setup was Paradigm, which had a very forward sound. To me, B&W is too recessed or laid back. GET seemed right in the middle and perfectly neutral.

Thanks for sharing your feedback. As Wayne said, please stop back and post again. Pictures are always appreciated and often posted on the GET Facebook page. Happy holidays!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
charliehatch Posted 8 years 8 months ago
T Cobe,

The CI Audio amp is a very simple looking silver box. I bought it because I was looking for a Class D in the 200W - 250W range. What sold me was the excellent low distortion as shown on a plot on the CI Audio website. It continues to keep up with whatever I have in the system. Definitely not the weak link in the chain! (Actually, my CDs are now.)

The Oppo is black, so things don't match, but I don't care. The sound is all.

By the way, I've had several positive comments on the look of the T1s.

Charlie
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• deviate2112's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 53
deviate2112 Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Hello all,

This is only my third post. I just picked up a pair of Triton One at Thanksgiving. A short background. I worked in the industry for about 5 or 6 years back in the late 90's early 2000's. I've had the opportunity to own/listen to many many different systems. At one point I had separate two channel/theater systems. I finally gave up after leaving the field. Just to spendy $$. Throughout the years I have been "close" to my ideal system sound. From B&W Nautilus 804 to Magnepans, but for one reason or another I found myself after a few years wanting more...bigger sound, better dynamics, better imaging...etc....

Well after about a month with my Trition one's I think I've found my holy grail....I'm running an Emotiva XMC-1 pre/pro and a Crown XLS2500 (one of the best bargains in audio) I can hardly get the lights to twinkle on the Crown. Next up is a SCXXL in a few weeks. I've just started messing around with Dirac on the Emotiva...still a total Noop with the
GoldenEar Triton Reference, GoldenEar XXL Center, Aon 2, Emotiva Airmotiv 6, Adam ax3, Epik Legend, Parts Express 15" sub kit, Anthem AVM 60, Bryston 4Bst, Crown XLS2500 X 2, Crown XLS1500 X 2
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe, aribraun

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Clubhouse Show Off Your GoldenEar System Tell us your preamp/amp for Triton 1 (or others)