file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
T Cobe Posted 7 years 11 months ago
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by T Cobe. info_outline

X-Men: Apocolypse arrived before my vacation to California, but time was tight and I just finished watching it today. This was typical fare for the X-Men reboots. A lot of action and CGI with a fairly well written script. If you enjoyed the previous films, this one should not disappoint. While it wasn't as funny as Deadpool or as engaging as Guardians of the Galaxy, I'd rate it a 4/5 from an entertainment perspective.

The technical bits on this one were tip top! SQ was a 5/5 for me. There was good use of surround channels, extremely high dynamics, and reference quality LFE. My fellow bass heads will certainly enjoy this one! The soundtrack may not have been as sophisticated as Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation, but what was there was certainly as good. Fire this one up when you have company and/or want to shake things up.

PQ was also very solid! It had everything I look for in terms of sharpness, detail, color, and contrast. There is plenty of eye candy to fill up your big screens! My only gripe would be the heavy reliance on CGI, but there really was no other way to pull things off on this one. 4.5/5 for PQ.

While this was typical Marvel Superhero fare, it was certainly fun. The technical aspects of this one are excellent! This one will have your subs steaming!! Another film I can confidently recommend unless you dislike the genre.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 11 months ago
Bro T.
Though not a fan of the franchise, this one sounds (pun intended) terrific!! I must get n watch it then.
With no TV to watch here at this time, (still mourning), and no new movies the girlie can watch, we dragged out "After Earth" again last night. I REALLY enjoy this movie, the message is HUGELY important, and the SQ was FINE as was the PQ. Not M. Night Shyamalan's best, which should give you some idee of how highly I hold his movies in regards. "SIGN'S" still ranks as one of the BEST MOVIES EVER, IMHO.

I have a few losers to watch and report on before my wife makes the next run to the video store (Hopefully SOON!!!!!).
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Last night was wasted by watching "High Rise" which was absolute rubbish!!!!!!!!
And this with the wonderful Sienna Miller in it.
Horrible!!!!!
The SQ was not bad though, they played some Bach and such.
YMMV, but I will trash it and keep the blue box.
Please don't tell me I did not understand the artsy fartsiness of it!!!!
Not recommended,
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
We watched "The Legend of Tarzan".
WOW!!! My fav, Sam L. Jackson is in here, some guy that my wife liked, and the main reason to see the movie, Margot Robbie is in there!
Good story, great really!!!!
PQ was awesome, 5/5 for me, but I am not as picky as some. Beautiful shots of Africa!!!!
Sound was by Dolby True 7.1 and sounded wonderful to me. I don't usually like Dolby as much as DTS, but this was great. I did not notice any reference places to show off your system, but they could have been there, the story was served VERY well by the sound. The surrounds all around got into the action. Since I got my speaker re-wired now both my wife on one side and my daughter on the other were getting shot up during the shooting scenes!!!! Good deal!!!!
I thought this movie was extremely well done, well thought out script, a little too PC for me, but much more intelligent than the norm for this or most genres!
Highly RECOMMENDED!!!!
Did I mention Margot Robbie stars?????
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 7 years 10 months ago

I'm finally Catching up on the movies that have been arriving. I watched the reboot/remake of Ghostbusters this week. Nostalgia can be finicky and I'm sure there are those that have fond memories of the original Ghostbusters movie. Certainly, it was a fun movie and had a great cast. In many ways, this newest version has many of the same elements but fails to create the same emotion. Based on the cast, I had high hopes but the chemistry just didn't seem to be there. 3.5/5 for entertainment.

4/5 for both SQ and PQ. Everything was solid but nothing blew me away. I doubt this will make any demo lists.

While the movie was fun and the cameos of the original cast were a nice nod to the original film, it just fell short. Maybe this is a bit of nostalgia speaking. I'd recommend this one when your list starts getting short. Those who have not seen the original Ghostbusters may enjoy this one more.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395

• Palu1000's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 7
Palu1000 Posted 7 years 10 months ago
I wathed World war Z and Pacific Rim. In my opinion, both are amazing. I love the setting and plot. B)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?