file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 1 week ago
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Moderator. info_outline
The daughter is a fan of the Divergent series, so our Friday night movie was "Allegient", however it is spelled.
PQ was fine, too much CGI for me. SQ was OK I guess, sorry I am just not a fan of the series, so it is only mildly entertaining. To really rate the sound I would have to go back and listen to the English sound track, and it is not a good enough movie for me to watch it twice.
But you make like it.
Next was "The Boss" after the youngster went to bed. Melissa McCarthy is hilarious, and this is that. Nasty, bad taste totally!!!!
Good enough PQ and SQ, but this is not a demo movie. Just funny.
Neither really recommended.
But your mileage may vary.
God Bless, Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 5 days ago

Yesterday was the Blu-Ray release of Captain America: Civil War. My pre-order from Amazon showed up right on time, as usual. Since I missed this one in the theater, I was eager to watch it in my home theater.

PQ was pretty good. Great use of color and contrast. Effects were all first rate. The picture never got grainy or washed out. My only critique is it seemed a bit on the soft side and lacked the level of detail and resolution I would prefer. 4.5/5 for PQ.

SQ was equally solid. The sound was dynamic with plenty of LFE. Surround effects were plentiful and not overdone. Dialogue was intelligible throughout but also lacked a little resolution. It sounded recorded versus live; almost like bad mic placement. 4.5/5 for SQ.

On the film side, this was an action packed thrill ride on par with most of Marvel's superhero films. It introduced a few new superheroes, which I always enjoy. As with other Karvel superhero films, there was more dialogue and character development than with the DC rivals. Again, they did a good job of portraying the human characteristics of these superheroes. My one gripe is the ongoing and constant fighting between the heroes. I know, it's in the title ding dong, but the fighting amongst the Avengers is a primary plot line in all of the films. Are these guys really that dense and egocentric that they never realize that teamwork makes them stronger...? Rhetorical question, but this plot line is getting tired. Sorry, other than this quibble that is probably not shared by many, this was a fun film. It's what the big screen is all about. 4/5 from an entertainment stand point.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 4 days ago
Thanks T Cobe,
I want to see that one, and I agree about the stupid bickering between the members of the Avengers team.
Last night was "Pay the Ghost" and it is not a recommend and not worth reviewing.
Tonight it is "Pandemic" and it is INTERESTING. Not recommended for PQ or SQ particularly, but as interesting post-apocalyptic movie making, it is a slightly different take. Still pretty much a Zombie movie.
God Bless, Wayne
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 3 days ago
Well we got to see and enjoy "Jungle Book" tonight, and it was really good.
Just as you reported T. Cobe (EXCEPT dialogue was just great for us). The surround sound on the snake scene is really special!!!!
We just enjoyed it all around.
I enjoyed the voices. With Christopher Walken doing the voice of LOUIE, I was expecting him to ask for more cowbell!!!!
Bill Murray just MAKES any and everything he is in!!!!
I never saw so many credits in my life!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 3 days ago
Wayne,

That's hilarious! I was thinking the same things about more cowbell and was going to mention that it was pretty clever that they had a cowbell in the scene. It was definitely a fun movie.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 2 days ago
OK, so I watched two movies tonight. A Norwegian movie, Bolgen, "translates to "The Wave" and it was WELL worth watching. PQ was OK, but the SQ seemed good. I go wrapped up in the movie, I think the sound was fine.
Then I watched "RACE", the movie about Jesse Owens. PQ and SQ were good, a time or so I noticed the surround was being well used. It is just an important movie, important topic, and I thought it was well done.
Glad I don't have to make tough decisions like he did. Wish I could run like he could. And jump. WOW!!! Glad I don't have to put up with the racial crap that he did, what a shameful thing!!!!
Recommended movies, not for demo, just for entertainment and education.
God Bless, Wayne
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?