file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
T Cobe Posted 8 years 1 month ago
Wayne,

It's nothing against the SCXL, rather that I'm sensitive to bad source material for dialogue. As I've read that most issues with sibilance are from the source recording, I'm guessing that Anthem has the same issue.

My T1s and SCXL are all about 12 feet from my PLP and I feel I have it dialed in pretty well. I think the primary issue at this point is working through the cabling as I did with my 2-channel gear. I do think I will eventually want to upgrade to the SCXXL. The balanced crossovers of the SCXXL, T1s, T5s, and not the Triton + models all sound significantly more clear to me. I'd really like it if balanced crossover upgrades would become available for the SCXL and Aon models. They would be first on my list of upgrades!

In the meantime, movies like Fury, Rogue Nation, and Mad Max all sound great. Back to what Rick said, garbage in equals garbage out. There will inevitably be bad source material, whether it's dialogue or sound effects and those will certainly distract from enjoying programming. It's hard to turn off critical listening.

Cheers,

T Cobe

P.S. I have a hard time concentrating on San Andreas with Miss Daddario as well! ;)
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 1 month ago
Thank T Cobe,
I totally agree about source material. In fact, I guess that is what the answer to my question came down to.

When you watch shows that are not blu-ray movies, or concerts (which I ASSUME all sound fine, even the dialogue?) then like if you are watching broadcast TV or something streamed on your surround sound system, how do you do it?: I use DTS Neo 6 Music, seems to sound the best. That is taking a stereo signal and matrixing a surround sound outta it.
NOT great, but not bad. And I have NO problem with sibilance.
Wish I could help.
Best success with your surround system!!!!
God Bless, Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 1 month ago
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Great back and forth here!

Thanks, Wayne, for "stirring the pot"!

Ain't the pursuit of audio perfection fun?????

BTW, when I first heard Fury on my HT system, the words out of my mouth were "HOLY CRAP"!! (Can I say that on this forum?? Well I just did.). I couldn't believe how much I got drawn into the battle scenes, with tanks exploding, shells literally whizzing past me, tanks firing right in back of me, buildings collapsing, planes flying right over my shoulder.. Wow. Chest pumping realism better than anything I've ever heard in a movie theater.

Maybe we'll never be totally convinced we've captured everything, every last nuance, but man, we are all SO close!!!!

Happy listening.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, T Cobe

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 8 years 1 month ago

WayneWilmeth wrote: Does anybody else have "Super 8"? Can you listen to the train wreck scene?

Yes, we actually used it at a trade show demo a few years back. The train wreck scene is "aggressive" sonically, I imagine purposefully to add to the over-the-top impact of the scene. I've never been near a train wreck and exploding train cars, so I would have a hard time saying if this was a realistic presentation of those sounds. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 1 month ago
Boys and Squirrels,
Just watched "London Has Fallen" which was great. ACTION!!!! And Well Done.
PQ was 5/5 --Look out when the blow up the barge on the Thames!!!! Really amazing!!!!
And SQ was DTS-HD MA 7.1 and was amazing, 5/5 for the most part. Cool surround some times when it added to the movie.
BUT, here is a new example of what I was talking about above, ROUGH sounding effects sometimes.
Check out the President's helicopter scene around 39 minis into the movie. When the missile hits, it sounds rough, and then glass breaking and the helicopter goes down in Hyde park, ROUGH.
I have ridden in LOTS of helicopters, and thank the Lord, none of them got hit by a missile, or hit a building or went down/crashed!!! So I am not sure what that should sound like. Perhaps it should sound that edgy.
What do you guys think?
Anyway, the movie is highly recommended entertainment, though not demo quality sound IMHO, nearly.
And IF you dislike London as much as I do, then it is absoloutely priceless to see it blown up!!!
God Bless, Wayne
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 2 weeks ago
Well Guys,
I watched "10 Cloverfield Lane" last night. It was some ride.
Sorry if someone else reviewed this, I did not see it.
The PQ was a little grainy but nothing special one ay or another.
The SQ was by the Dolby True 7.1 folks, so MIGHT be in atmos for those of you who care. Not sure how that works.
But it was mostly not the kind of movie that gives you the Big surround sound. Having said that, when it was needed it was pretty great at serving the excitement of the movie.
I really like John Goodman, but you will not if this is the only movie you ever see him in (I will wonder what planet you have been living on IF that is the case?).
I can recommend this movie but not wholeheartedly. It is not demo material either. BUT good and interesting.
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?