file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
T Cobe Posted 8 years 2 weeks ago
Wayne,

I think I reviewed this a while back. I shared many of your impressions. The only bright point of this movie was John Goodman. He plays a great creepy dude! Otherwise, there was nothing noteworthy on this one for me.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 2 weeks ago
Sorry to duplicate you there T Cobe.
I don't get out much.
We went back tonight and watched "Olympus has Fallen" the first of the two in this series before London Fallen.
There were some nasties, harsh/brittle/sharp sounds with this one too.
So then I went back and re-watched "Fury" again, and the sound is AMAZING!!!! It is exemplary and the sound is everything it should be.
I guess it was hard to notice before as I hate war, I hate foul language, I hate quoting scriptures then killing people. It was a hard movie to watch, though extremely well done.

I watch a good bit of TV these days and I use the dts Neo 6 Music decoder for surround sound. It is not amazing like discrete channels, but it is surprising how good my surround system does make movies on Sat TV sound (from simple stereo).
Keep it real,
God Bless, Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
No apologies necessary, Wayne. I'm extremely glad to have you back on the forum!

Due to a hectic schedule as of late and the lack of new releases, I've been a bit slow in posting movie feedback. I recently watched The Huntsman: Winter's War and thought I would take a few minutes to share my impressions.

It's hard to beat the trio of Charleze Theron, Emily Blunt, and Jessica Chastain all in one film from and eye candy standpoint. The story itself was nothing trailblazing but it was decent. It was probably not a great sign that I fell asleep during the movie the first time through. 3.5/5 from an entertainment standpoint.

PQ and SQ were both solid but nothing really stood out here either. 4/5 for both. The picture lacked a bit of pop and contrast but was very sharp throughout. Dialogue and the rest of the sound were solid but this was not the most dynamic of tracks and there were some areas where vocals were a bit off. Liam Neeson's narration is a great example of this issue.

That's all I have to say on this one. This may be a good one for movie night with the kids. Next up: Jungle Book.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

I woke up early this morning to watch The Jungle Book before the day was under way. I did not know quite what to expect of this film as I have never seen the animated version nor read the book(s) this film is based upon. I knew from the previews that the picture and effects quality were impressive but that was the limit of my expectations.

As the previews portrayed, the PQ of this film was excellent. Great color and contrast! The picture popped on well lit scenes and the level of detail and sharpness in the low light scenes was excellent. I don't recall any washed out or grainy images. The visual effects were also exceptional! This may just be a reference quality disk for PQ, though it would not likely be my first choice. Life of Pi still takes pole position for me for this task. That said, 5/5 for PQ on this one!

SQ was equally impressive. The surround mix was immersive, there was plenty of LFE, and the sound did a very good job supporting the story and experience. The only area I found lacking was the reproduction of dialogue. Since this is a crucial area for me, I'm going with 4.5/5 for SQ.

This was an entertaining film with a lot of star power providing the voices of the animated/CG characters. It also did a good job in connecting with human emotion. It had all of the classic elements of a great story. 4.5/5 from an entertainment stand point.

Overall, I definitely recommend this film. I have no doubts it will be used as demo material for many home theater setups. It covers all of the bear necessities of an entertaining and engaging home theater demo.

Cheers,

T Cobe
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 1 week ago
Last edit: 8 years 1 week ago by WayneWilmeth. Reason: change info_outline
T. Cobe,
Thanks for the two movie reports above. I got both those blu-rays and can't wait to watch them. I am sure your reviews are spot on.
I am making the mistake of watching "Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot" at the moment. It is supposed to be very funny, I usually like Tina Fey (and B.B.Thorton).
PQ is great, SQ is DTS-HD MA 7.1 and really is quite good. The big explosions and party rock are very well produced.
It is just a DIFFERENT story, serious as all heck, NOT funny. And might not be a bad movie at all, IF you are not expecting funny.
There are a couple of chuckles, don't get me wrong. I have just been too near this stuff (8 years in the Middle East) for it to be even mildly funny.
Sorry for a downer report, you guys might like it.
I've even decided to RECOMMEND this movie, just NOT FUNNY!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
T Cobe Posted 8 years 1 week ago
Thanks, Wayne! WTF has been on my list to watch. I'll give it a go when things slow down in mid October. Sounds like I should put it a ways down in the que.

Cheers,

T Cobe
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?