file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
rjohn79395 Posted 7 years 11 months ago
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
I played the Blu-ray of Mariss Janson conducting Beethoven's 6th symphony on the GEt HT system, from the collection of symphonies 1-9. All three Reference 3 Anti-Cable power cords were in place on the OPPO, Marantz, and NAD amp for the fronts. I had previously posted about this piece as I heard it on some older generation wireless headphones. It's a gorgeous piece of music in its' own right.

What did the GEt's bring to the party beyond what I heard on the headphones? LOTS!

Dynamics just exploded. Kettle drums became so close and impacting, double bass so deep and rich. SL's peaked in the 88-92 db range in the louder passages, and it was just gorgeous, enveloping, transporting. Never harsh. I could FEEL the music, had no inclination to turn it down.

Flutes sounded pure and hauntingly beautiful, the same for violins. None of the instruments got lost in the crowd.

EVERYTHING just got better, more detailed, dynamic, engaging. An already beautiful piece of music just blossomed on the GEt's.

I played the symphony about half the time in analog direct 5.0, using the OPPO's DAC, and the other half with a digital feed to the Marantz, letting the Marantz and it's DAC play it in DTS Neural surround format with height channels added. I give the nod to the analog direct for slightly more detailed SQ, and a nod to the Neural surround for a more immersive "sound bubble". Comparing how two different DAC's presented the music clouds the height channels vs no height channels comparison some. If the SQ were exactly equal in both cases, the nod goes to the Neural with a more 3D sound. Either way, I was THERE, in the best seat in the house, the music completely drawing me in. I'll have to see what adding a second pair of height speakers will do to the equation.

SQ: top of the charts. Eight more symphonies awaiting! It's like having a season pass to live concerts!

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, anthem, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 7 years 11 months ago
Rick,

Great report, Rick, as always! Glad your back home and enjoying music through your GET gear. Between you and Wayne, I'm going to have to move this one up my wish list.

I have the same opinions in terms of music reproduction through a surround processor/AVR. Direct mode just seems to sound better. I suppose the top dollar processors may not drop off but I'm certainly not in the market for a $20,000 unit. I think that's the benefit of having a separate 2-channel setup integrated into a system if you listen to music.

I hope you and Judy are both well and getting everything accomplished with your return to Texas. Hopefully the little bell is ringing less and less, ;)

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 11 months ago
Looking forward to more reports Rick!!!
Have you gotten around to listening to the 7th Symphony yet? The second movement is killer good!!!! IMHO.

Will wait to hear more, eagerly.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 7 years 11 months ago
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Hey, Wayne

You spurred me on. I watched the 7th symphony today. This collection is a gem. I run out of descriptors. Yes the 7th is (also) fantastic, including the 2nd movement. The fourth movement is also amazing, so much energy. There were several times when the dynamics with double bass and/or kettle drum just plain almost made me jump, almost like Beethoven wanted to make sure the listener stayed awake :cheer: : they shook my body. Holy mackerel!

I'm hooked on these recordings. Eighth and ninth next, then back to start over at the 1st (the only ones I've heard on the GEt's are the sixth and seventh, and I want to experience all of them in full HT).

You found a treasure trove, Wayne. Thanks for sharing!!!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Rick, I cannot take any credit! Though I wish I could. ha ha
That Beethoven guy had some talent!!!!
T. Cobe,
I wanna say IF you have your surround sound setup, your home theater setup correctly (and I would BET money that you do!!) you are totally set for that blu-ray concert experience from Beethoven or other great composers that will lift your heart and move your soul!!!!
T. Cobe, if you play a super duper blu-ray concert in surround sound, are you saying that playing it in stereo direct sounds better?
IF so, let's talk.
God Bless, Wayne
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
-What is going on?
We watched "Midnight Special" last night. It is NOT about the gun. NOT about the train.
-What is it about?
PQ and SQ were alright, I guess. Never really noticeable at all.
-What is going on with this boy ?
I would not recommend this as a demo of anything.
-What the world is this all about, and who really cares?

YES, that is the way it went as we watched the movie; we asked all these questions and more and never got a good answer to any of them.
And all 3 of us finished by not caring.
A VERY poorly written movie that COULD have been interesting.
BUT sadly WASN'T.
Not recommended.
God Bless, Wayne
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?