file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
T Cobe Posted 7 years 11 months ago

WayneWilmeth wrote: Hey T.
If you thought Jane was dark, don't watch Bone Tomahawk or Hateful Eight!!!! They make Jane look like a Disney Western.
God Bless,
Wayn

Wayne,

I'll have to check out Bone Tomohawk. I loved Hateful Eight. It was dark but also a bit whimsical. The plot for Jane Got A Gun was darker to me. The Revenant was also dark, gritty, and brutal. I wonder if this will be a bit of a trend going forward: portraying the old west and pioneering days in a less romantic light. I can certainly see how those would have been dark and difficult times. The HBO series Deadwood was very enjoyable as well.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 11 months ago
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Moderator. info_outline
Thanks Bro T. I have never seen Deadwood, do you recommend it? YES, I think LOTS of things are getting DARKER these days, including Westerns. Perhaps Presidential campaigns too. Sorry.
Likely the old West was a ROUGH place to live. Medieval or Roman times, NO THANKS!!!!
Speaking of, I watched "13 Hours, The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi" last night.

The PQ was good, heck, I can't say that it stood out one way or the other.
SQ now, that was DTS-HD MA 7.1 so I expected a LOT and it performed well enough. Surround was mostly put to scary use with bullets, shells, recoil, ricochet, I did not really notice anything (but it could have been there) on the rear speakers, but I thought the wife was getting shot several times (on the surround speakers)!!!
Being a true story, it is what it is. A better story could have been written, but probably not a much sadder/more incompetent one!!!

RECOMMENDED, but not reference.
God Bless, Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Alright, this one isn't going to win any awards but it was certainly a fun movie. Dwayne Johnson and Kevin Hart have good chemistry together. The Wife and I both enjoyed this one. 4/5 for entertainment taken at face value.

SQ on this one was pretty excellent! Dialogue was intelligible and well captured. Good use was made of surround channels and LFE. This is a dynamic Blu-Ray in terms of sound despite not being a 100% thrill ride. 4.5/5 for sound quality.

PQ was also very good. The picture was clear, sharp, and contained significant detail. Color and lighting also made for a dynamic picture. 4.5/5 for picture quality as well.

Call this one a guilty pleasure if you will, but it was a fun movie. I definitely recommend it for movie night with family and friends. Dwayne Johnson creates a pretty funny lead character. If you haven't checked out Ballers on HBO, I'd highly recommend that series as well, though not for family night...

Cheers,

T Cobe
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Moderator. info_outline

WayneWilmeth wrote: Thanks Bro T. I have never seen Deadwood, do you recommend it? YES, I think LOTS of things are getting DARKER these days, including Westerns. Perhaps Presidential campaigns too. Sorry.
Likely the old West was a ROUGH place to live. Medieval or Roman times, NO THANKS!!!!
Speaking of, I watched "13 Hours, The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi" last night.

The PQ was good, heck, I can't say that it stood out one way or the other.
SQ now, that was DTS-HD MA 7.1 so I expected a LOT and it performed well enough. Surround was mostly put to scary use with bullets, shells, recoil, ricochet, I did not really notice anything (but it could have been there) on the rear speakers, but I thought the wife was getting shot several times (on the surround speakers)!!!
Being a true story, it is what it is. A better story could have been written, but probably not a much sadder/more incompetent one!!!

RECOMMENDED, but not reference.
God Bless, Wayne

Wayne,

I definitely recommend Deadwood! It was another excellent series from HBO: right up there with The Sapranos in my opinion. It has a great cast and is a gritty depiction of the frontier during the prospecting days. I will warn you that the language is quite colorful. I found it interesting the way they used a flowery Mark Twain style language while intertwining a lot of foul language. It struck me a bit odd at first, but once I rationalized the setting, it fit well. This series is definitely not for family night.

Cheers,

T Cobe
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thanks Bro T.
Will look for Deadwood.
Never heard of Central Intelligence, so will definitely look for it too.
With the King dead, ALL TV channels here have been taken over for mourning, remembering the late King.
I was gonna watch Gamepass, watch an NFL game, but the internet was down too.
So last night we could only watch movies. No new good ones (see below) so we watched Ratatouille AGAIN,
Cute.
After the girlie went to bed I watched "Hardcore Henry" a Russian abortion of a movie, HORRIBLE with a capital HORRIBLE!!!!! Just gore, blood and guts with a few tits thrown in to make it something people might rent.
TERRIBLE!!!!! Shot from the angle where the main character's head/eyes should be. He can't talk either. Probably a blessing.
NOT RECOMMENDED.
God Bless, Wayne

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
It has been a rough few days here. Things just keep breaking. The A/C is out in my home theater. I had noticed for the past few weeks that when we watched a movie, my wife over on my right kept getting shot, but my daughter on the left was not getting shot (when bullets were flying all around). Then I finally rec'd my BACH Tacet surround recording of the Brandenberg Concertos as well as some other music in surround I had ordered long time ago from Amazon. I put it on and knew right away my left surround channel was certainly out. BOTH banana plugs were broken off--half in, half out of the rear of the Triton 3s!!!!
Long story short, had to teach the wife how to solder, it was a 6 handed job, but in tight space to solder on the broken ends of my speaker leads banana plugs, the two of us finally got it done with only 4 hands. Should have noticed this before while watching movies, so must go back and visit a few I have watched, and see what they sound like with all channels playing again!
But that will wait for the A/C to get fixed. My plasma TV and hybrid amps get WARM.
So, reports to come,
God Bless,
Wayne

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?