file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
T Cobe Posted 7 years 10 months ago
I second that, Anthem! It was a good movie. I tried to go back and watch the original after seeing this one in the theater. I prefer the remake...

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 7 years 10 months ago
Thanks, guys!

I just ordered the new Blu-ray remake of the Magnificent Seven.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

The gang is all back together again for another installment of the Star Trek reboots. While it's a little like groundhogs day in terms of the plot, this is another solid showing for the franchise. I suppose the plot didn't change all that much from week to week in the original series either. The one quibble aside, the writing, cast, and production value on this one are solid. If you liked the other movies as I did, I'd expect you would enjoy this one as well. 4.5/5 for entertainment.

Picture quality on the film was phenominal! The color, contrast, shadow detail, fine level detail, and cinematography were all great. This one is certainly eye candy and may be the first 4K film I purchase way down the road when UHD projectors come down to realistic prices. 5/5 for PQ!

SQ was a bit lack luster for me on this one. The other films in the series have been very good but this one seemed to lack a bit in dynamics and LFE. I think this lost a bit of excitement due to the sound. Dialogue was not captured quite as cleanly on this one either, and that's a pet peeve of mine. I want transparency and dialogue that doesn't sound like it was recorded in a box. SQ is about a 3.5/5 for me but YMMV.

In the end, the entertainment value and PQ make this a solid recommendation!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Playing a little catch up here on my end. Bad Moms is hilarious if you like raunchy comedies. PQ and SQ were both solid as well. 4/5 all around and a definite recommendation. This one is NOT for family movie night!

Cheers,

T Cobe
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 7 years 10 months ago
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
As an admirer of Il Divo , I've played lots of their music, including streaming their Live in Barcelona album.

I just got and played the Blu-ray of their Live in Barcelona concert. Some small quibbling on SQ: instruments were not as precisely placed as I've heard on other music Blu-rays, and sometimes the voices sounded like they had been run through a synthesizer for some extra reverb, so SQ was maybe 4 or 4.5/5. But, oh my, those gorgeous voices!!! (I seem to use the term gorgeous a lot when describing the sound I can hear from GEt speakers!!!).

The Blu-ray does a great job of capturing the visuals and audio of the concert. Highly recommended, especially if you're an Il Divo fan.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, anthem, T Cobe

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 9 months ago
Here we go, a Two-fer for ya:
Watched or rather should say suffered through "Demolition". My wife and daughter thought this movie sucked! I did not think it was that good!
Not recommended, who cares about sound or PQ.

I watched, without them, "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies". I sorta knew the original story, being an Eng. Lit major, you had to sorta know. That sucked and of course the movie did as well.
BUT Lily James is in this movie. NOT in the book. So there is that!
And the sound was bombastic, LOTS of sound, some good songs/musical sounds, and one of the loudest scores I have heard. Not great use of the surround but LOTS of low level rumbles, explosions, etc. MIGHT let you show off your new subwoofer, IF you did not mind showing people that you have no taste in movies.
Ha ha
Did I mention Lily James????
God Bless, Wayne
I need to find some BETTER movies to review!!!!
Watched ARRIVAL when I was Stateside, in the theater, it was really good, I expect the blu ray will have great sound.
God bless the child that's got his own.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?