file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 8 months ago
I too watched Jason Bourne, and agree with the previous review.
Only one point to add, I am not much a fan of car chase scenes, not seen a very good one (that I liked) since BULLET.
This movie ends with an awesome car chase!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 7 years 8 months ago

WayneWilmeth wrote: Man, T. Cobe, I had to go WAY back to find your review of the Ghostbusters remake.
It was right on, but I guess it did not scare me away enough. We tried to watch it last night,
my wife and daughter fell asleep, I almost did, BORING!!!!!!
I had hoped for much more from this cast.
2017 should be better, Happy New Year every one!!!!!
I am still getting caught up on Game of Thrones, two more seasons to watch. Only watched GB because it was family movie night.
God Bless,
Wayne

Wayne,

I would certainly recommend Kubo and the Two Strings, Secret Life of Pets, and Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children for family night. I have Pete's Dragon but have yet to watch it.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Another fun film for the whole family. The animation style was interesting and I wasn't sure I was going to like it, but they did a very good job with blending whatever the various elements it took to capture this tale on film. PQ was a solid 4.5/5. The high point was the detail, clarity, and use of color. Sound quality was solid as well. Dialogue was clear and the effects were supportive of the story. 4/5 for SQ as nothing really stood out. This film had a very good story and was executed well. 4.5/5 for a family night film recommendation.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

We watched Pete's Dragon yesterday. This was a bit of a formulaic Disney film that struggled a bit to capture human emotion or excite. The Wife fell asleep halfway through. I managed to muscle through it and I'm sure children will enjoy this one, I just found it a bit dull. 3.5/5 for entertainment.

PQ was also a bit lackluster. The picture just failed to pop and color/contrast was weak. Picture detail and cinematography were good, as were the computer generated effects. 3.5/5 for PQ.

SQ was a bit better. Voices were clear and there was a fair amount of LFE and dynamics. The surround mix was a bit weak. The forest scenes in The Revenant were very immersive and there were sounds all around as if the forest were truly alive. I didn't get that here and this carried its way throughout the film. You could listen to this one through a sound bar and sub and experience much the same. 4/5 for SQ due to lack of immersion.

In the end, I think young children will enjoy this one. You just may have a difficult time staying awake. There is certainly nothing demo worthy on this one. YMMV.

Cheers,

T Cobe
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 8 months ago
Well Boys and Girls,
We watched "Warcraft" tonight.
If anybody wrote about this one, sorry, I did not see it.
Since we slept through the last movie we tried to watch, I will give this one a somewhat better review, at least we made it through (this heap of rubbish).
Sorry, IF you are a fan of something about this, then you may want to watch it, but it was a BIG miss for me.
The PQ was quite good considering all the CGI. The sound was in 7.1 but we watched it in Thai, not in 7.1 so I will just say that IF the movie was better I would go back and watch it in English to enjoy it better and be able to report to you. BUT I will not be watching this one again. The story meandered around and never did make much sense, finally sorta came together enough to disappoint and promise a sequel which I will NOT be buying/watching.
NOT recommended unless it is just down your alley.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• imahawki's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 578
imahawki Posted 7 years 8 months ago
I've been trying to make it through a backlog of movies that I knew I'd need to "get up for" to watch for various reasons. I'll list them out here and give my brief impressions if anyone cares ;)

Sausage Party: 6/10 if you like really love this kind of humor or partake in drugs before watching. I thought it was pretty funny but its the kind of humor that could push some people too far and for them it would go straight from meh to offensively awful.

Nerve: 7/10 I enjoyed this for what it was. As a technologist, there are some massive and silly holes in the technical construct of the "game" that is the central plot of this movie but if you either don't recognize that or suspend disbelief this one can be a fun ride and a halfway decent social commentary.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows: 5/10 Meh... I grew up in the 80s and I'll probably watch any Ninja Turtles movie that comes out but this one was just... I don't know, it was watchable and not even really terrible but it was like a meal of Doritos and Mountain Dew... you know its just crap.

Concussion: 8/10 This one was pretty good in my opinion but a little depressing to watch. I listen to a lot of "knowledge" podcasts like Freakonomics and Stuff You Should Know so I've heard a bit of the scientific angle on CTE. To see it acted out and knowing that the portrayal of the NFL was probably pretty accurate was both disheartening and infuriating.

Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters 2/10 LOL... OK, I don't know why I watched this. Gemma Arterton and Famke Janssen are nice to look at... that's about all I can say here. Witches get killed.

In the Heart of the Sea: 8/10 This one did it for me. My rating is much higher than most, I suspect, on this one but I really enjoyed it. I thought the acting was pretty good and the pacing of the story was well done considering what it could have been, having to portray long stretches of time with not much to do.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?