file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 2 months ago
Rick, I will be very interested to hear what it sounds like when you put these discs on in LPCM Stereo and listen through cans.
BUT, when you get back to God's country, and can play this on your FULL system including the awesome T1s, choose DTS-HD MA 5.0 (there is no low freq effects channel in a concert like this) and c heck out the surround sound. Then I will be really interested in your take on your super system????
God Bless, Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Happy and Blessed 4th of July guys!!!!
I had intended to mention every time I posted about these Beethoven Sym. blu rays, that they have a really wide dynamic range.
Rick, IF you listen on headphones, it will be interesting what that dynamic range will mean. The softest passages will have to be turned up to be heard, then the loudest will give danger of blasting your ears out. When I listen in my home theater, when my A/C is on, I have the same issue. The soft ppp passages are REALLY down there, then the loud fff music pushes the level of what Beethoven ever wrote in terms of loudness (course he was going deaf, so maybe he wanted to hear it, ha ha).
Please let me know how that works for you. It is thrilling to me.
God Bless, Wayne
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 2 months ago

WayneWilmeth wrote: Happy and Blessed 4th of July guys!!!!
I had intended to mention every time I posted about these Beethoven Sym. blu rays, that they have a really wide dynamic range.
Rick, IF you listen on headphones, it will be interesting what that dynamic range will mean. The softest passages will have to be turned up to be heard, then the loudest will give danger of blasting your ears out. When I listen in my home theater, when my A/C is on, I have the same issue. The soft ppp passages are REALLY down there, then the loud fff music pushes the level of what Beethoven ever wrote in terms of loudness (course he was going deaf, so maybe he wanted to hear it, ha ha).
Please let me know how that works for you. It is thrilling to me.
God Bless, Wayne

Thanks, Wayne!

Per Amazon, they should arrive here Wednesday. I'll be sure to give feedback on how they sound on the stereo headphones. Though I have to admit, I REALLY want to experience them on the GEt HT system when I get back to "God's country". I just have fallen in love with GEt surround.

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
I've had the Beethoven symphonies Blu-rays for a few days, and have watched/listened to the first symphony. I'm going to experience them in order.

First impressions:

Video quality is great. I really like the camera work, where we see the musicians up close at times and can see their involvement, and emotion, in playing the music.

I'm having a harder time defining the audio, in stereo, as heard through my older wireless headphones. The wireless headphones aren't up to the SQ of the new SONY headphones, which I can't readily stream to from the Blu-ray player. It sounds great, though I suspect the dynamics would be even more evident on better headphones, and most definitely in 5.0 surround on a GEt system. I'll have to patiently wait until we get back to TX to play them on the GEt's to get the full audio experience. I do have to adjust the volume up on softer passages and back down on louder sections.

In the meantime, very enjoyable, so glad I got them. I'll play my way through all or most of them of them here, and add comments later if/as I discover new points to make. But I'm waiting for my final "take" when the already good audio gets to fully blossom on the GEt HT system

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thanks Rick, I think you will enjoy the symphonies much more with a better headphone setup, but also, very importantly, Beethoven was just warming up with Symphonies 1 and 2, by the time you get to 3 the awesomeness starts, IMHO. And they just keep getting better.
Hang in there, give them time.
But of course, the real test is when you get the home in your great system.
I figured the dynamic range would be a problem with cans.
Enjoy and I will look forward to more of your reports.
God Bless, Wayne
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
Thanks, Wayne

You're right, I know I would enjoy the SQ more through the SONY headphones. I'm going to check out options to do that from the Blu-ray player.

Rick
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?