file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
T Cobe Posted 8 years 4 months ago
Between the surround sound and the cinematography, this film was very immersive. It really did feel like being in the middle of the story. Anthem, the dark under belly of humanity definitely hit home and added to the grittiness and brutality of the story. I didn't have a chance to see this in the theater but it is definitely sweet sounding with GET speakers all around. Rick, I'd give it a go and add it to your library if you liked the film. While it wasn't as dynamic as Mission Impossible Rogue Nation, it was more immersive. Probably one of the best surround sound mixes I have heard. If it had a little more dynamics, it would have been a slam dunk and 5/5 for me.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 4 months ago

T Cobe wrote: I didn't have a chance to see this in the theater but it is definitely sweet sounding with GET speakers all around. Rick, I'd give it a go and add it to your library if you liked the film.

Cheers,

T Cobe

Hi, T Cobe

I just ordered the Blu-ray. The film is first class, and, based on the comments on this forum, I'll bet the GEt's just bring out everything in the audio.

Thanks!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 4 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by T Cobe. info_outline

Playing catch up here. I've owned Deadpool since last Tuesday but haven't had time to watch. I started the film last night but wasn't able to finish it. Usually that's a bad sign but not in this case.

Let's start with the tech bits first. PQ was very good. The picture was sharp with plenty of detail with being grainy. Color seemed well balanced: maybe a bit on the cool side. Contrast was excellent, supported by great black levels. 4.5 out of 5 for picture quality.

Sound Quality was excellent! Voices were very clear and intelligible throughout, with the exception of Ryan Reynolds talking through a mask but that sounded as one would expect. Action scenes were very dynamic and the LFE was impressive without being over the top. There was plenty of detail in the sound mix. Surround sound was well integrated without without a lot of superfluous sounds. The quality of the sound added greatly to the fun factor of the movie. 5/5 for audio. I have no doubt this will be a demo disk for many folks.

I may be showing my dark sense of humor here, but this was one of the best superhero movies ever! This one definitely earned the R rating. There is a ton of dark humor, witty banter, violence, gore, and a bit of sex. In other words, you're definitely not going to watch this one with the kids. Deadpool is definitely not Captain America. They do a great job telling the origin story of a new hero for film goers that don't read comics. Entertainment value is a 5 out of 5 for me. If f you have a bit of a dark sense of humor and aren't easily offended, like me, you should really enjoy this one!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, rjohn79395

• imahawki's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 578
imahawki Posted 8 years 4 months ago
After being away on training for work and then on a cruise with my family, I got to play a little catch up. Some of that was spent on Game of Thrones but I also watched Pawn Sacrifice and Deadpool.

I really like chess. I'm not as good as I used to think I was, I play on Chess.com and my calculated rating there fluctuates between 1000 and 1300 depending on how much I focus when I'm playing games. I've always been drawn to the Bobby Fischer story ever since reading about him as a youngster and since seeing "Searching for Bobby Fischer" which is an only semi-accurate movie focused on his childhood. Pawn Sacrifice is a different movie and covers some of Fischer's childhood but also his adult life, including the warts of his mental illness, paranoia, anti-semitism, etc. I thought the film was well written but I'm kind of over Tobi Maguire at this point and I really wish someone else would have been cast as Fischer. I don't think Maguire is that good of an actor. It was especially jarring to hear the strong New York accent of the young Fischer disappear when Mcaguire stepped in to play the adult role. Liev Schrieber as Boris Spasky certainly helped. I think Schrieber is one of the most underrated actors working. All in all the story was worth the minor annoyance of Maguire. If you like chess, have been drawn to Fischer's story, and like biopics, I'd say you'll like it.

On Deadpool, I don't know what else to say that hasn't already been said. For my money, this is one of the best modern superhero movies to date. Funny, great action, just damn near perfect.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 4 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Thanks, T Cobe

Based on your review of Deadpool,, I just ordered it from Amazon.

Side note, as I had noted earlier, I had watched The Revenant earlier in a theater, and while I loved the movie, the audio had been so-so. Well, you were right (based on your recommendation, I ordered the Blu-ray): the audio on GEt HT is awesome. In the theater, sounds were mostly in the center, not well placed, and some muffled. Not so when I listened here at home! Every twig breaking, every grunt of a bear cub, every arrow flying past me became real. Once again my GEt HT system trumps what my local theater can do... Thanks! Again!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, T Cobe

• imahawki's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 578
imahawki Posted 8 years 4 months ago
Either no one has seen Searching for Bobby Fischer or no one was willing to call me on my brain fart. That movie is not actually about Bobby Fischer, its about American chess player Joshua Waitzkin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?