file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
T Cobe Posted 8 years 6 months ago
Thanks, Rick. I think my wife would agree with you. I'm very good at spending money: mine and other peoples. :laugh:

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• anthem's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 8 years 6 months ago
Decided to take Mad Max Fury Road for another spin today. This time I cranked her closer to Reference Level, and I have to say, this is some amazing sound with a picture to match. I see why this flim did so well at the Oscars. Controlled chaos with dialogue only when necessary.

My damsel of choice: Riley Keough
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Roman Johnston's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 802
Roman Johnston Posted 8 years 6 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Roman Johnston. info_outline
Witnessssssss!!!
LR:
Onkyo TX-NR636
Surround System = SSat3 x5
Sub - FF4

Office:
NAD T748 V2
Nearfield System = Aon 2 Mains
SSat3 Surrounds
Sub - FF3
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• imahawki's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 578
imahawki Posted 8 years 6 months ago
Whoa nelly. My nanny summer nanny took my kids to see Tomorrowland in theaters so I hadn't yet seen it. They hated it. After watching it, although I mostly enjoyed it, I can see why. The movie is a bit old for them. There's some pretty intense stuff. Its kind of a bit like a spy recruitment story or like the National Treasure series with the level of intensity but it was clearly marketed towards kids. The message was very hamfisted even if valid. I have other thoughts on things that specifically didn't work or were odd but they would constitute spoilers.

But to the point, the sound and video were fantastic. TONS of bass, active surrounds, great dynamics.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by T Cobe. info_outline
Well, still catching up on movies that received all the buzz for the Oscars. The wife was really eager to watch The Danish Girl. After the performance of Eddie Redmayne in Theory of Everything, I decided I'd give it a shot. I definitely will not be watching this one again.

Subject matter aside, this was a painfully awkward movie. Redmayne put out another Oscar worthy performance but it was a bit painful to watch. Similar to watching him waste away in Theory of Everything in his portrayal of Stephen Hawking. I don't enjoy watching anyone suffer and that was the primary story being told here. The rest of the cast was solid as well, despite their lesser roles.

PQ was very good and the cinematography followed suit. SQ was nothing special as this was all drama, and a depressing one at that. While the movie was well done, had great image quality, and fantastic performances, I cannot recommend this one unless you're a fan of tragedies.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by T Cobe. info_outline
I finally purchased my second set of Aon 3s to complete my surround setup with all GET speakers. Thanks to Anthem for the speaker mount reference! That was the best $35 I have spent on Amazon and the mounts work great.

After getting everything hooked up, I ran a quick calibration with Anthem Room Correction and fired up Spectre. SQ on this movie is great overall but the first scene is fantastic for surround sound integration checks. In particular, the 360 degree panning of sound during the helicopter fight is a great reference clip. Having all the Aon 3s in place supporting my T1s and SCXL sounded fantastic. I was only able to listen for about 20 minutes, fast forwarding through to the most dynamic scenes in Spectre, but the integration and cohesiveness of sound is much better with all GET speakers. SQ on this film is right up there with Mad Max Fury Road and Mission Impossible Rogue Nation.

Time has been short lately. On deck, I have Creed and Room. Hopefully I'll be able to watch them Friday.

Cheers,

T Cobe
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, rjohn79395

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?