file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 5 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
T Cobe,

I agree with your review of "Creed". I watched it the other day. A follow-on to the "Rocky" series, including fight action. Even though the sound was in DTS HD Master Audio, it didn't really explode/impress particularly.

For "Rocky" avicionadoes, another chapter. Sylvester is showing his age, but does a credible job as the coach of Creed's son. Worth watching for the continuation of the storyline. Just don't expect great SQ dynamics.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 5 months ago
Finally getting around to watching Star Wars: The Force Awakens this morning. I've had it since release day on Blu-Ray but haven't had time to sit down and enjoy it. I took the day off today for something also, but plans change.

I was a little disappointed by the sound at the theater and was hoping it was the cinema and not the sound track. In fact, it was the theater. On my GET setup, SQ was top notch and better than the theater. What sounded a little thin and tinny, was full and rich at home. The surround mix was nicely balanced. There was plenty of LFE and detail in the sound. The score was phenomenal. The only area that could have been improved was the capture of the vocals. Some scenes were great, others not so much. 4.5/5 for SQ.

PQ was nearly flawless. There was great use of color and lighting. The image quality and picture detail were top notch. The special effects and cinematography were first rate. The scale of the movie sets felt a bit small compared to episodes 1-3. They were never really in any large settings like the cities on Naboo or Coruscant. The characters seemed to jump from from one camp or outpost to another. I'm hoping the next films will be on a bit of a grander scale. While It felt remote, that was a production/script issue and not a PQ deficiency. PQ was 5/5.

Much has been said about the film itself. Critics are abound with all sort of nit picks. For me, the film was very good. JJ Abrams captured plenty of nostalgia but managed to create a new generation of heroes as well. The story felt very fluid in its transition from episodes 4-6. One could argue that this is partially due to the similarities in the story line with episode 4. If your a fan of the Star Wars franchise, as I am, it's hard to imagine not enjoying this film. I definitely recommend this one.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, rjohn79395

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 4 months ago

I have been waiting to see this movie for months. I wanted to see it when it was in the theater, but never got around to it. Between the previews, reviews, and Academy Awards/nominations, I had high expectations and I was not disappointed. This was certainly a good things come to those that wait scenario.

PQ was rock solid. While the cinematography stole the show, PQ was very good. The amount of detail and clarity was excellent. Color was not very rich due to the setting of the film but skin tones were great. My only gripe would be the level of contrast due to most of the film being rather dark. 4.5/5 for PQ with more to follow on the cinematography.

SQ was very good as well. Surround channels were fully engaged. They reproduced a lot of dialogue as well as surround effects. The forest scenes in particular made the room feel alive. This one didn't have a high amount of LFE but there was enough to keep a bass head like me engaged and happy. Dialogue was very clear throughout the movie. The score was also phenomenal. SQ was also 4.5/5.

If I had to select one word to best describe this film, that word would be BRUTAL! This was certainly not a feel good movie set in the wild frontier of early America. This movie portrayed the dark under belly of the day and it was a dark time. The scene where Leonardo was mauled by a bear was particularly greusome.

One of the best parts of this film was the cinematography. The director used longer scenes in this film with much less jumping between various camera angles. The overall effect was a much more immersive film. It was more like being in the film than watching a story. Combined with the brutality of the film, it was actually an ordeal to watch. I think I was mentally exhausted after this one and didn't quite know how to put what I had just seen into words. This was a powerful film and I highly recommend it. Just be prepared!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, rjohn79395

• imahawki's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 578
imahawki Posted 8 years 4 months ago
I spun up Hitman Agent 47 today. The plot was, I guess generic... but the action and sfx were top notch. Great audio with lots of impact and bass.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• anthem's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 8 years 4 months ago
I got a chance to watch The Revenant this afternoon. Leonardo sure earned his paycheck on this one.
T Cobe's review was spot on. Brutal is good way to describe this movie. The sad thing is, it wasn't the bear attack, but the evil in some men's hearts that is so brutal and disturbing, it really made me think. I loved how this film sounded and looked. The sounds of the river, twigs snapping, the wind howling, are just a few of great sounds that accompany this soundtrack. This movie was a real treat and I really enjoyed it.

If by chance I ever get lost in the woods, and I come upon a dead horse, I now know what to do to survive.

VENGEANCE IS MINE SAITH THE LORD!!
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 4 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
We saw The Revenant in a theater awhile ago, haven't seen the Blu-ray at home. I totally agree on the impact of the film. From the descriptions of the soundtrack as heard on GEt systems, I suspect the SQ is better, more detailed as heard at home on GEt's. The movie's visual effect was stunning in the theater... I can't say as the audio blew me away. Sounds like another case where GEt HT more than holds it's own against typical theater sound systems. I have yet to hear a BETTER (or even equivalent) SQ in a theater than I can enjoy right at home.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?