file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
T Cobe Posted 8 years 4 months ago
Imahawki, cranial flatulence happens from time to time to each of us. It can be a tad gauche to point it out. ;)

Rick, glad you enjoyed The Revenant at home. It was certainly a powerful film that was very technically sound: picture and sound. If the description of Deadpool didn't turn you away, I think you'll really enjoy it!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
T Cobe Posted 8 years 4 months ago

Well, this one was a stinker! It received a lot of positive reviews but I was not impressed. No need to prattle on, this one is about a 3/5 for PQ and SQ, while only 2.5/5 for the film itself. This was a snoozer. Wait for this one on HBO or Showtime. Heck, Netflix may even stream this one... :whistle:

Cheers,

T Cobe
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
T Cobe Posted 8 years 3 months ago
13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi

This was a powerful film. It was excellent from a technical standpoint but I'm not sure how much this "true story" was embellished for the big screen. I'll stay away from the politics or analysis...

Both audio and picture are a solid 4.5/5. While demo worthy, I'm not sure the content should be reduced to a 2 minute clip to show off a home theater. To say this was a somber and solemn film is putting it lightly.

Sincerely,

T Cobe
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
T Cobe Posted 8 years 3 months ago

I missed this one in the theaters. There wasn't much in the previews and this one seemed to get a bit of a cult following. I think Bad Robot and JJ Abrams can put out just about anything and it will attract buzz: worthy or not. John Goodman steals the show on this sci-fI thriller/suspense. While it's decent one time through, this is not one I would watch twice.

Picture quality and sound were okay but there was so much mellow drama in a dingy fall out shelter, the tech didn't get much of a chance to shine. I'm going with 3.5/5 all the way around. PQ, SQ, and entertainment value. Everything was just okay for me and nothing stood out besides John Goodman. He can certainly play one creepy dude!

Cheers,

T Cobe
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, rjohn79395

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 2 months ago
Guys here is a shout out for Beethoven.
But first, I loved the Revenant, I thought the Hateful Eight was visually fantastic, the acting was great as well, and GROSS. Hated myself that I liked it as much as I did.
"Gods of Egypt" had great sound. The story was stupid, tooooooo much CGI for me. But the sound might be reference, I just can't get myself to turn it back on to check. I got a DTS:X symbol onscreen, but did not have any such surround. Just 7.1. Check it out at your own risk, might be reference.

I FINALLY found the time to sit and give a concentrated listen to all the Beethoven symphonies. This was on my bucket list for retirement. I bought the complete 9 symphonies conducted on blu-ray by Mariss Jansons with the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra in 2012 at Suntory Hall, Tokyo. Jansons loves Beethoven (and it shows), and has researched him widely, and this is a series for Janson's 70th birthday. He takes a modern approach but takes a mid road, does not go back to authentic (screechy) instruments, uses the FULL orchestra at its finest (WOW can these guys play!!!) and a fairly fast tempo. On the first disc there is a 'behind the scenes' showing how he rehearses with the musicians; his knowledge is amazing and his ability to get the most out of them is too.
The acoustics in the auditorium are marvelous, the video production is first class, 10 outta 5!!! To see the musicians actually playing these phenomenal sounds is incredible. The Sound is also a 10 outta 5. This is NOT lite music, he uses a full compliment of basses and cellos to get a WARM FULL sound. I cannot rate these blu-ray discs highly enough.
I fell in love with the 3rd (Eroica) symphony, even better than the 5th!!! The second movement of the 7th Sym. is one of the most beautiful and haunting melodies I ever heard. The 9th will have you outta yer seat when the chorus sings the Ode to Joy. (Yes, it is in German, but there are English subtitles). The 2nd movement of the 9th is just killer!!!
This set is pricey (worth every penny), so I will keep this short (believe me I could rave on), as probably none of you will buy it. IF you can only get one set of the Beethoven symphonies on any kind of discs, this is IT!!!!
God Bless, Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
T Cobe Posted 8 years 2 months ago
Wayne,

Did you ever watch The Martian in 3D? What were your thoughts?

Cheers,

T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?