file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 2 months ago
Hey T. you have me at an answering time, the Martian was just a bit better than OK to me. Not great on any count, but decent entertainment, could have been better.
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 2 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline

WayneWilmeth wrote: Guys here is a shout out for Beethoven.

I FINALLY found the time to sit and give a concentrated listen to all the Beethoven symphonies. This was on my bucket list for retirement. I bought the complete 9 symphonies conducted on blu-ray by Mariss Jansons with the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra in 2012 at Suntory Hall, Tokyo. Jansons loves Beethoven (and it shows), and has researched him widely, and this is a series for Janson's 70th birthday. He takes a modern approach but takes a mid road, does not go back to authentic (screechy) instruments, uses the FULL orchestra at its finest (WOW can these guys play!!!) and a fairly fast tempo. On the first disc there is a 'behind the scenes' showing how he rehearses with the musicians; his knowledge is amazing and his ability to get the most out of them is too.
The acoustics in the auditorium are marvelous, the video production is first class, 10 outta 5!!! To see the musicians actually playing these phenomenal sounds is incredible. The Sound is also a 10 outta 5. This is NOT lite music, he uses a full compliment of basses and cellos to get a WARM FULL sound. I cannot rate these blu-ray discs highly enough.
I fell in love with the 3rd (Eroica) symphony, even better than the 5th!!! The second movement of the 7th Sym. is one of the most beautiful and haunting melodies I ever heard. The 9th will have you outta yer seat when the chorus sings the Ode to Joy. (Yes, it is in German, but there are English subtitles). The 2nd movement of the 9th is just killer!!!
This set is pricey (worth every penny), so I will keep this short (believe me I could rave on), as probably none of you will buy it. IF you can only get one set of the Beethoven symphonies on any kind of discs, this is IT!!!!
God Bless, Wayne

You've got my attention, Wayne!

Video and sound BOTH 10 out of 5!!!! I see what I think is the same set on Amazon For $75 ish. The cover looks exactly the same. I couldn't see on the back of the cover what the audio format is, but when you give it a 10 out of 5, I don't really care (I assume 5.1, DOLBY or DTS, HD of some sort?)

With that kind of recommendation, I can't resist. Unless you tell me you think the Amazon version isn't the same as what you have, I'm going for it. You haven't steered me wrong yet on great classical Blu-ray's.

Thanks!!!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hey Rick, pls double check, make sure it is blu ray! I think it is around $125 or so for the set of 3 discs

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
You are right! That is it, you won't regret it Rick!

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 2 months ago
Wayne,

What did you think of the 3D aspect of The Martian. I thought it was the best 3D I had seen to date.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 2 months ago

WayneWilmeth wrote: You are right! That is it, you won't regret it Rick!

I just ordered them, for delivery to NH. I'll try playing on the Blu-ray player here, and make do with wireless headphones, unless I can figure a way to stream the audio to the new SONY headphones.

I'll refrain from commenting on SQ until I get back to TX with them and can play them on the GEt HT system. Can't wait!

Thanks again, Wayne!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?