file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Moderator Posted 8 years 6 months ago
Thanks, nice wrap-up. I too read the Martian (long before I had any idea it was going to become a movie), totally by accident as a last minute Amazon recommendation when I was in a pinch. Book was a lot more fun and detailed, but they did an amazing job of capturing the essence in the film, and I thought Damon was superb in this tour-de-force role.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 6 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Moderator. info_outline

T Cobe wrote: Well, this isn't the first time I've been wrong about something and in this case, I'm glad I was. When I first saw the previews for Mad Max Fury Road, I thought the film looked ridiculous. I immediately wrote the film off as a "wait for cable" release. Many months later after several positive reviews, I purchased the film and was blown away by the PQ and SQ.

Tonight, Fury Road won 6 Oscars including sound editing and sound mixing. Additionally, it was nominated for the prestigious awards of best picture, directing, and cinematography. From a technical standpoint, this film was fantastic!

While I didn't watch it last night, I'll probably be watching it again tomorrow. For those that were also skeptical of this film, it is a 2-hour thrill ride that is technically superior. It is an absolute feast for the eyes and ears and should not be missed.

Cheers,

T Cobe

Once again, T Cobe, I am going by your recommendation, and have ordered this Blu-ray. I'm batting pretty well with the stuff you recommend. I can't wait to have the whole PQ, SQ experience do the same feast for me. I really want to hear what my GEt speakers do with this film that got so many awards for SQ!

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 6 months ago
Rick,

You may want to put some childproof locks on your kitchen cabinets so your dishes don't fall out. The amount of bass in this movie is off the charts! It will put the subs in your Tritons through a workout. I think this film and Mission Impossible Rogue Nation were the two best soundtracks that came out this year. I've heard the Atmos mix was good as well. I can't wait to hear how you like it.

Cheers,

T Cobe

P.S. I just realized we never got a report back from Wayne on the 3D of The Martian.
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395

• imahawki's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 578
imahawki Posted 8 years 6 months ago
Mad Max kicks ass. This was, purely by chance, the first film I spun after installing my GEt speakers. The movie is gorgeous, the editing is frenetic but masterful. The sound is just amazing. There is full frequency sound coming from everywhere.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 6 months ago
Academy Award winning films can be a bit hit and miss for me. Last year's best picture, Birdman, is a prime example for me. It was a bit artsy fartsy for me. It was too desperate to be cool, like a teenage girl taking a selfie with duck lips.

The best picture this year, according to the Academy is an entirely different story. Spotlight is an amazing film with a terrific ensemble cast that all put down rock solid performances. Mark Ruffalo, Michale Keaton, Liev Schreiber, Rachel McAdams, Stanley Tucci, and John Slattery brought this heart wrenching story to the big screen with conviction and vision.

This is a powerful movie that I cannot recommend highly enough. It's not a technical marvel. The PQ and SQ were not what makes this film special. This movie is all about the story, script, screenplay, and expert performances. They addressed a very difficult topic with dignity and respect.

Sincerely,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 6 months ago
Thanks, T Cobe, for the review of "Spotlight". It is my wife's pick as best movie of 2015. Another T Cobe recommendation I need to get for our HT.

T Cobe, as the mirror of what you once said to me, ("Rick is good at spending my money"), well you're REALLY good at finding ways to help me spend my money also!! I'm lining up stacks of Blu-rays to watch/enjoy, and no, I don't resent it a bit.

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?