file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 3 months ago
For sure Bro Rick, forget watching a movie on TV. Can't compare to a Blu Ray, PQ or SQ wise.
Plus you can start and stop it anytime you want. Go to the toilet, make popcorn, etc.

I am not sure how many times we have watched "AVATAR" and hope to watch it again.

AND you mentioned Blu Ray concerts, I was not even mentioning them, of course, they get watched over and over again. With JOY.

I am thinking about, considering, getting up the energy to sort out my DVDs/Blu Rays taking out all the movies that I will definitely never watch again. That could give me some real storage space, make finding movies that I do want to watch again much easier. I need to do that. I do have some real klunkers in there, though I probably would find that I would still keep a lot, just on the rare occasion that I MIGHT watch it again. I have already trashed quite a few terrible ones the first time I watched it, if it really sucked I just threw it in the trash.

Any other thoughts, comments?
Is it worth starting a thread of which movies you will definitely watch again? Might be a good list worth referring to, anybody interested?
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Academy Award and MANY other awards winner, and nominated for Best Picture, Denzel Washington's "Fences" was on here tonight.
The PQ was fine, limited but fine, the SQ was 7.1 but I never noticed any interesting or noticeable use of surround sound in this movie.
This was an amazing script, fantastic acting, extremely well done but a little slow and boring too. My girls could not stay awake for it all.
I strongly prefer movies like this to comic book movies, BUT this was pretty artsy/fartsy for me.
All in all good stuff, but be in the mood for such an experience. BBB that I mean, more like a Broadway play than a movie.
RECOMMENDED.
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Last night we watched what was supposed to be a thriller, "The Snowman". We did stay awake, JUST barely. It was too drawn out, boring, needed editing, and yet I think they did a LOT of editing. I am assuming they did because there were HUGE plot holes leaving out so much, we were scratching our heads all through the movie and after.
Michael Fassbender is usually pretty good but not so great here. Bad writing to blame if you asked me.
I am a BIG fan of Val Kilmer, but he looked and acted terrible in this movie and was basically cut out along the way it seemed, but made no sense at all. One of a number of things that made NO SENSE.
PQ was pretty good, LOTS of great Norwegian snow scenes.
SQ was 7.1 but never noticeable, not any noteworthy sounds.
Rotten Tomatoes panned this movie and I am sorry to have to agree, we wished we had not bothered.
NOT RECOMMENDED.
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by WayneWilmeth. info_outline
Tonight was "The Hitman's Bodyguard". Be warned, nasty, filthy, raunchy language throughout.
BUT
Look at the cast, some good actors in this one. Actually they held more promise than was actually delivered.
It was about a 3 outta 5 star show IMHO, though Rotten Tomatoes only gave it 39%.
PQ was pretty good, nothing exceptional.
SQ was only 5.1 but did a really good job with surround sound when needed, explosions, were good, a good ride. And there was a whole lot of music in this movie, some I really enjoyed and some oldies others might enjoy more than I did. Sounded good.
Some really funny lines in here, silly love story stuff, LOTS of car, motorcycle, running chases in here.
Good fight scenes. All that gets kinda boring to me, so if it does for you, you may not like this.
Some good lines and laughs. Sam Jackson is good but Salma Hayek is nasty and funny!!!!!
Sorta RECOMMENDED with reservations, bad language in particular.
I can handle F bombs, but get upset with so many MF bombs.
YMMV.
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
OK, OK, FINALLY one I enjoyed. Yes, I know reviewers called it slow and predictable, but at least it was a thriller and worth watching.
"The Commuter" did drag a while, but got going and when it got time the sound, Dolby TrueHD 7.1 kicked in and became REFERENCE quality, demo worthy. I will no longer need the train wreck from Super 8, now I have the Commuter.
PQ was quite good too, but the sound in the exciting part was really very good, scared me.
Liam Nesson can be counted on to deliver and he did. Once again.
OK, I am fairly easily impressed and entertained, after the drought of some pretty mediocre to pretty bad films, this one is a keeper.
RECOMMENDED.
Not great, but the pay off is good, predictable but good.
I enjoyed this one and it really came to life in my home theater, made me so very happy to have my system.
Although many give this only a 3 outta 5, they don't have my sound.
Hope some of you out there enjoy this one.
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 6 years 3 months ago
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Thanks, Wayne!

I just put “The Commuter” on my Amazon wish list to order when I get back to TX.

Reference quality sound??!! Gotta hear that! And yes, Liam Neeson seems to have the knack of playing a menacing action guy..the “Taken” series, etc.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?