• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
rjohn79395 Posted 5 years 10 months ago
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline

anthem wrote: Hey Guys:
You mention B Stock PC's. In some cases there are scratch marks on the plugs, or a compression mark on the jacket, or the molded ends are a little hazy...nothing to compromise performance. A Audience Forte (B Stock) can be had for $125.00 at TheCableco.com

Rick why aren't you taking a AntiCable Reference 3? That's where it all started...

Rick: judy going along?
I haven't been on a plane since 77-78. If you could, the wife and I would like to hear what's going to take place between Texas and Thailand. You will board in Texas...what's next? Roughly how long time wise to Waynes front door?

I hope you two Gents can learn from each other. I think it would be a Blast, it's just so far away.

Hey, Anthem

All good questions....

Per Wayne, PC's that won't bend well would be tough in his set-up, and the AntiCable Reference 3's at 8 gauge are not exactly easy to bend. Plus they would stick out in any Xray of my suitcase, being SO big, I thought, leading to Customs questions about whether I was planning on building a power plant there :laugh: .

Judy thought about it long and hard, and decided she couldn't do it, with the long flight times, and especially since she needs to prepare for upcoming dance shows. (she's still on the fence, regretting not going, maybe next time).

Re the trip, it's 20 hours flight time total plus time in airports, maybe 30 hours total. The flights are Austin to Houston, Houston to Doha, Qatar, Doha to Bangkok, Bangkok to Chiang Rai, near where Wayne lives. So another hour or so to Wayne's front door.

Wayne has been AMAZING about this trip! First the invite, then when I suggested a short visit, he said stay longer. Then, when I suggested staying at a hotel, he said, no, stay with us. And when I said I had reservations to stay at a hotel the first night, he said no, cancel, we'll pick you up. If you and Juanita ever get some time and change your minds, DO IT!!!!!

And yes, I think we'll learn from each other. Can't believe how excited I am to be able to visit with another bass head, audio nut, and share experiences! And meet his family. Plus a genuinely nice guy, the real deal.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tsgt2007's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 161
Tsgt2007 Posted 5 years 10 months ago
You guys are awesome!!!
Jose
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 5 years 10 months ago
Thanks for the kind words Rick, and Anthem, you and Juanita are sure welcome, come on over!!!!
Sounds like you don't travel or get out much? Do you have passports?
Rick, none of us have a barn full of extras like Anthem does, but guess we all do have a bin of stuff hanging around.
Don't plan on leaving that cord here though, I really doubt I can hear any improvement.
I just looked behind my equipment last night to see what I do have power cord wise on my Emotiva and my OPPO, and I do indeed have after market power cords that are HUGE.
I don't have much of an opinion about Power Cords, but if I do, it is this: size matters, the bigger the better makes the most sense.
And these LOOK to be bigger and more heavily constructed than the Audience (at least, what I can surmise from the pics online).
Course Audience COULD have some magic dust in their cable construction recipe that makes it better, we can see????
I am a doubter, but will keep an open mind. (Not a doubter that big ass PCs are better than flimsy, cheap ones that some manufacturers supply with their equipment----just doubt that I can hear the difference between one big ass PC and another).

At any rate it is gonna be FUN!!!! Can't wait!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 5 years 10 months ago

WayneWilmeth wrote: I just looked behind my equipment last night to see what I do have power cord wise on my Emotiva and my OPPO, and I do indeed have after market power cords that are HUGE.
I don't have much of an opinion about Power Cords, but if I do, it is this: size matters, the bigger the better makes the most sense.
And these LOOK to be bigger and more heavily constructed than the Audience (at least, what I can surmise from the pics online).
Course Audience COULD have some magic dust in their cable construction recipe that makes it better, we can see????
I am a doubter, but will keep an open mind. (Not a doubter that big ass PCs are better than flimsy, cheap ones that some manufacturers supply with their equipment----just doubt that I can hear the difference between one big ass PC and another).

At any rate it is gonna be FUN!!!! Can't wait!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne

Hey, Wayne

It does appear that different PC manufacturers use very different "recipes" for PC construction. Nordost takes the smaller gauge, mono filament, low impedance, high purity conductors, low dielectric insulation route, AntiCable takes the thicker gauge, good shielding, high purity multi-strand approach, and Audience is somewhere in between. And each with lots of proprietary magic dust stuff in their recipes also probably.

I remember Charlie saying he didn't notice a difference when he had 9 gauge Pangeas on his system, but is sure happy with his smaller gauge Nordosts. So, as you say, we'll see. :)

The AntiCable best fits your vision of HUGE, though not happy being bent around corners at all. I'm tempted to stuff 2 or 3 different PC's in my suitcase and hope Customs doesn't care, just to test them all on 220v....that is an unknown in the equation. I DO know what AntiCable and Audience PC's do for my Oppo on 110v current for instance, and I like it. What either would do on your Oppo or other gear on 220v, that's the question. But I'm a little gun shy about pressing my luck with a suitcase full of BIG PC's. :( And, if the Audience does good stuff on your 220v gear, then maybe that answers the voltage difference part, and you can always listen to them all on my system on your next trip to TX!

Yeah, this is gonna' be fun!!!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 5 years 10 months ago
Yeah, Rick, I would rather you did not take much of a chance, leave the real PC shootout for when I get over to visit there.

AND you may come away saying you are glad you didn't bring too much gear anyway, "That guy worked on the oil rigs toooooo long, can't hear for squat!!!!"

BTW, I can hear very well, it is just that what I hear (ringing in my ears) never goes away, never stops. Tinnitus.

So yours will be the only "Golden" ears other than the speakers here.

Safe travels,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
charliehatch Posted 5 years 10 months ago

rjohn79395 wrote:
I remember Charlie saying he didn't notice a difference when he had 9 gauge Pangeas on his system, but is sure happy with his smaller gauge Nordosts. So, as you say, we'll see. :)

True. I have the Pangea fat boys hooked up to my TRefs, since it's only low frequency we're doing on those lines. (Maybe a small improvement in bass response there.) But I couldn't hear a difference with them driving my other components. Nordost PCs do make a difference.

Have a great trip! I'd let the PC run for a while before you make a judgment. Bending during the trip may affect the insulation.

Charlie
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back