• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
rjohn79395 Posted 5 years 11 months ago
Hi, Anthem

You're definitely working on upstream power clean-up also. Do you go direct from the wall outlet to the Emotiva CMX-2, to the Furman power conditioner? And as you described with upgraded PC's on each. I'm convinced delivering clean power to the components via power conditioners and/or upgraded power cords is a big piece of the SQ search.

What differences have you noted with the Emotiva CMX-2 in the path? Obviously, adding the good PC's to both the Emotiva and the Furman gave you a pretty good kick also.

Just getting my mind around where I could stuff an Emotiva CMX-2 in back amidst all the interconnects, power cords, speaker leads already there. :whistle:

Thanks! Keep experimenting!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, charliehatch

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 5 years 11 months ago
Rick:
In regards to the Emotiva CMX-2...the AntiCable is to short to reach the Furman from the wall outlet, so i use an AntiCable directly out of the wall outlet which runs to the CMX-2 and from there another AntiCable directly to the Furman.

Wall outlet > AntiCable > Emotiva CMX-2 > AntiCable > Furman

I'd love to get a longer AntiCable and bypass the CMX-2...perhaps by Christmas.
I've always had the CMX-2 in the loop so don't know how the system sounds without it.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, charliehatch

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Hi, Charlie

I'm loving the Nordost Blue Heaven PC on my Marantz AVR, where I use it's DAC for most audio playback. So, I'm thinking if it's that good, how about the next steps ups... you having done the next, starting with the Red Dawns, a level above mine, and progressing to the Heimdall, a level above that.

I want to take another step up. What can you tell me about the Red Dawn vs. the Heimdall after listening for awhile? I'm going to try one or the other.

P.S. I'm trying ferrite cores on my Furman PL-PRO-C power conditioner, same as yours, with it's non detachable 10 gauge power cord. Trying to make it's power cord noise and RF suppression closer to good power cord upgrades. Will advise later. Some PC makers supply their PC's with ferrite cores attached at the end plugging into the component.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
charliehatch Posted 5 years 11 months ago

rjohn79395 wrote: I want to take another step up. What can you tell me about the Red Dawn vs. the Heimdall after listening for awhile? I'm going to try one or the other.

Hi Rick,

I never did a careful A/B comparison between the Red Dawn and Heimdall cables with my DAC. I just swapped the Heimdall in to the DAC and ran my Red Dawns to my monoblocks. So I can't really say much about the effect, since things got blended together.

I do remember my Bel Canto dealer saying that, for his ears at least, he heard improvements up to the Heimdall with the amps. After that, he didn't think the cost was worth the improvement.

That said, I think we both agree that the most sensitive component to PC changes is the DAC. I don't think the change between stock PC and Red Dawn was as big with my amps, but I think the Heimdall must make a further improvement with my DAC.

The sound remains stunning in its clarity and detail. I listen to recording after recording, and I almost always notice changes and new things thanks to the PC changes.

Of course, the big question remaining in my mind is what further improvements can be made in the upstream power delivery. I should run a dedicated (instead of shared) 20 amp line, and I'm sure I could improve my conditioning by upgrading or using a regenerator. It's only money, after all!

Charlie
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
charliehatch Posted 5 years 11 months ago
For those following the Great Power Cord debate, take a look at the latest (November 2018) issue of Stereophile. Jim Austin has two articles discussing improvements on the power side, one of which is a review of a $10k PS Audio regenerator. Holy moly.

See page 49, Power According to Pass, and page 89, PS Audio DirectStream Power Plant P20.

Both are interesting, and in the first article, Jim brushes on the subject of fluctuating supply current under music demand, which fits my theory of how PC cable insulation can interact with things to affect the sound. And there's the noise...

For those who don't subscribe, these articles should be available online before long.

Charlie
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Thanks, Charlie for your feedback on Nordost Red Dawn vs. Heimdall PC's!

It seems you're pretty happy with the Heimdall on your DAC. T Cobe, as I recall, loves his Heimdall also, thinks it's his best power cord (Toby, chime in here please if you want to add/modify anything!).

It seems Nordost PC's and DAC's in particular work well together. I really like the natural, musical side as well as, as you say, stunning clarity and detail. Voicing is SO spot on.

So, I'm convinced, next step is to get a Heimdall, probably move the Blue Heaven to the Oppo, and see what that combo sounds like.

A TOTAL aside, the GAIA II isolaters I installed on the Ref's continue to amaze me. Music I'm very familiar with just plain got better... cleaner, more detail, and a bump in bass. SO like what good power cords do; I'd put them in a class with power cord upgrades, at least as I've experienced them, going from rubber feet on the Ref's.

Happy listening!!

Rick
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back