heart Power Cords

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
charliehatch Posted 5 years 11 months ago
Rick,

Thanks for the interesting report. The switching back and forth is illuminating, and it is something I haven't tried. It looks like Audience is winning, at least with the Oppo.

One thing I read online talked about the power cord as an extension of the component, so it is reasonable that different PCs would pair better with particular components. Capacitance, inductance, and insulation effects probably all play a role.

My Nordost power cables continued to break in for quite some time, and the sound continued to improve. Now the system is stable. It is all about an increase in fine detail. At first I thought things had gone a bit bright, but I think that was a break in effect. Now, everything is smooth and natural, with more detail than I ever heard on stock cords. The difference really shows on well recorded orchestral music where there is tighter imaging and clearer articulation in the instruments. Even beat frequencies between brass instruments sound better defined, along with ultra fine detail of any kind of transient sound. So clear.

I now think the change is comparable to the changes I heard with high quality interconnects and speaker cables.

I've been wondering about better upstream components. Audience makes a power conditioner that has an excellent reputation, but it's expensive. And, as I said before, they make power cable to go in the wall up to the breaker box. Hmm.

For now I'm just letting things sit, and I'm rediscovering my music. What a difference!

Charlie
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 5 years 11 months ago
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Thanks, Charlie!

I would say the Audience is winning on the Oppo and the Nordost is winning on the Marantz AVR. That's interesting in itself.

If I had to pick a favorite power cord today, I guess I couldn't. BUT for a Marantz AVR, I'd go with a Nordost in a heartbeat, and for the Oppo, I'd go with an Audience in the same heartbeat. And if I had very expensive pro-pro stuff, I suspect I'd go with AntiCAble because I believe that the better the internal noise control circuitry, the less the gear needs external help, and the more the AntiCable's subtle noise suppression may help damp what the really good gear didn't "catch". Why do the different cords match up so differently with different gear???? Not a clue, but I suspect that it's got something to do with the quality of the internal noise control electronics and how the PC may, or may not, help.

I know you're into impedance, current reserves etc. Maybe that's also more what's going on. Whatever, it is NOT snake oil!

Would still love your feedback on Red Dawn vs Heimdall after more listening.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, charliehatch

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

rjohn79395 wrote: And if I had very expensive pro-pro stuff, I suspect I'd go with AntiCAble because I believe that the better the internal noise control circuitry, the less the gear needs external help, and the more the AntiCable's subtle noise suppression may help damp what the really good gear didn't "catch". Why do the different cords match up so differently with different gear???? Not a clue, but I suspect that it's got something to do with the quality of the internal noise control electronics and how the PC may, or may not, help.

I know you're into impedance, current reserves etc. Maybe that's also more what's going on. Whatever, it is NOT snake oil!

Rick, sounds like you see this as a noise problem, while I see it as a cable impedance/insulation issue. I haven't been able to detect noise in my system (even before upgraded PCs), as it falls well below the ambient noise in my listening room. (That noise, as measured by my trusty smartphone app), is dominated by frequencies below a few hundred hertz.) If electronic noise is there, why can't I hear it even with the volume control on my DAC/Pre turned up all the way? On my side of the argument, I did seen one thing online (can't find it now), associated with a PC manufacturer, that showed an oscilloscope trace of the music signal riding the power supply current in the PC upstream of the component. If the current is modulated by music, then so is the magnetic field of that current, which opens up the possibility of cable impedance or insulation interaction being a factor.

Obviously, SOMETHING is going on here; I'm just not sure what it is. I'm still open minded on the subject, and I'm wondering if you have seen any articles/papers that discuss this from a noise perspective.

Charlie
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 5 years 11 months ago
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Hi, Charlie

I guess I'm using the term noise in a more generic sense. I remember reading an article somewhere , maybe about AntiCable PC's, that addressed the "digital" noise" made by the component itself that affects it's ability, especially DAC's, to cleanly process digital to analog, while controlling timing errors, blurring. Maybe also DSP performance. A good power cord, per the article, minimizes the digital noise produced in the component to help the component process signals with a (cleaner? smoother?) power supply.

I don't know if that suggested internal component's own generated digital noise manifests itself as a noise floor per se, or as just a reduction in clarity via some reintroduced timing errors, blurring, etc.

HOW a good power cord manages to help clean up the power stream is a good question. I'll bet also that impedance, insulation effects etc. play a role, as you say.

All I know is that each GOOD power cord I've tried affects SQ a little differently, so each is doing something just a little different. But all (AntiCAble, Signal Magic, Audience, Nordost) share a common effect, and that is a cleaner sound, more detail. Is that because they're making digital processing easier/cleaner for the component via cleaner power? I think so. But what role each factor like impedance, insulation effects, purer conductors, etc. etc. does what, I don't think I've ever seen a comprehensive description of what exactly is happening.

Hence the mystery. But I DO know I can hear a difference, so something good is happening. I think you're right, that going upstream with better gear, better power cords would pay dividends also. Heck, Anthem loves what adding an AntiCable to his Furman power conditioner did for his system. It's about cleaner power somehow.

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, charliehatch

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

rjohn79395 wrote: I guess I'm using the term noise in a more generic sense. I remember reading an article somewhere , maybe about AntiCable PC's, that addressed the "digital" noise" made by the component itself that affects it's ability, especially DAC's, to cleanly process digital to analog, while controlling timing errors, blurring. Maybe also DSP performance. A good power cord, per the article, minimizes the digital noise produced in the component to help the component process signals with a (cleaner? smoother?) power supply.

I don't know if that suggested internal component's own generated digital noise manifests itself as a noise floor per se, or as just a reduction in clarity via some reintroduced timing errors, blurring, etc.

Thanks, Rick. I had been thinking analog audio-band electronic noise, and I had forgotten about digital noise. That would explain why the biggest improvement for me was when I upgraded the PC to the DAC. My Bel Canto amps are Class D, so it's possible that there is potential for PC improvement there. There was, but not as big as the improvement on the DAC. So, not surprisingly, the amps probably have better power supplies.

And, who knows, maybe impedance is a factor too.

Fascinating stuff, for sure.

Charlie

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 5 years 11 months ago
Rick:
I agree with you on both the AntiCable & Audience pcs. Both are wonderful cords and both can sound different on the same piece of equipment.

The biggest difference for me was replacing the Shunyata Venom at the wall outlet, with the AntiCable pugged directly into a Emotiva CMX-2, then another AntiCable into the Furman. Clear, concise, gorgeous sound.

For the past couple of weeks I've been listening to the AntiCable on the Oppo, with various preamps. I listened to the Anthem Statement d2v and the Anthem avm 30 in balanced mode with Audioquest Jaquar and Cheetah IC's. Overall great sound with a slight rise (on occasion) in the upper octaves. I have not tried the Audience in this particular setup, but i should have...i will later.

A couple of days ago i put the Primaluna back in the loop with the Audience on it, and a AntiCable on the Oppo. Wonderful sound with scrumptious bass but in certain situations a bit brite on top. To remedy this i replaced the silver IC's with, of all things, a Radio Shack IC purchased years ago. The sound was tamed, but I still wanted more. I replaced the AntiCable on the Oppo with the Audience, and as Rick has stated, the Audience had more of a calming effect on the sound which helps take off the edge of brass type instruments. This morning I replaced the Radio Shack IC'S with Kimber Kable Timber...just the ticket! I really like what I'm hearing.

The Audience on the Oppo paired with the Anthem Statement P2/Primaluna was also a definite Winner. The only difference with the P2 versus the Mc152 is it sounded its best with silver IC's and silver/copper speaker wire.

I suppose if the sound was perfect it would take the sport out of it. Experimentation, now that's sporting.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back