• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Hi, all

Thanks to Anthem and Dilettante for weighing in on this subject .Since then I have been pondering why power cords would make such a difference.. after all, they only cover the last few feet of power delivery to an audio device. So I have been researching just what they do.

Based on Anthem's and Dilletante's glowing recommendations, I had already decided to try them when I got back to TX in Sept. The attached really helped me understand the interaction between good power cords and active electrical audio devices. Admittedly it's a little biased towards power cords vs. speaker cables since it's written by the folks at Shunyata Research, but it makes a lot of sense to me.

It just reinforces for me that I want to give the Venom 3 cords a try.

I will report back on how they work for me after I get them installed in Sept.

Thanks, Anthem and Dilletante.

Any/all inputs on experimenting with power cords appreciated.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Rick,

Some additional food for thought NOT written by a marketing department.

www.audioholics.com/audio-video-cables/power-cables

I'm not saying Anthem and Dilletante are wrong, but my advice would be to buy them from somewhere with a 30 day money back guarantee and do a blind listening test when you get them. If you hear a difference,as they do, keep them. If not, decide if the aesthetics are worth the cost. I'd like some decorative 3' cables for my T1s. Considering AudioQuest cables in the $75/ea. ballpark. If the sound improves, great. If not, at least they'll look better. Whether Shunyata sounds better or not, they are darn ugly...

Cheers,

T COBE
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395

T Cobe wrote: Rick,

Some additional food for thought NOT written by a marketing department.

www.audioholics.com/audio-video-cables/power-cables

I'm not saying Anthem and Dilletante are wrong, but my advice would be to buy them from somewhere with a 30 day money back guarantee and do a blind listening test when you get them. If you hear a difference,as they do, keep them. If not, decide if the aesthetics are worth the cost. I'd like some decorative 3' cables for my T1s. Considering AudioQuest cables in the $75/ea. ballpark. If the sound improves, great. If not, at least they'll look better. Whether Shunyata sounds better or not, they are darn ugly...

Cheers,

T COBE

Hi, T Cobe

I'd be interested in any feedback on sound quality if you try the AudioQuest power cables, especially their effect on the T1's. My thought is to try upgraded cables on the receiver, amp and T1's (yes, with a 30 day money back guarantee), and if I can hear the difference, get them for the T2's also, and probably CD and DVD player.

I'm sure there is a wide range of opinions on power cords, just as there is on speaker cables, but I do want to hear for myself if power cords give a performance boost to my system. I haven't crossed the speaker cable upgrade minefield yet, still using 12 gauge copper for the T1's, T2's and SCXL, 18 gauge I think for the ceiling Invisa's, maybe 16. A step at a time... Any feedback on trials with speaker cables also appreciated.

Thanks

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by anthem. info_outline
Poor Toby, is there hope for you? The Venom 3's are not "darn ugly" in some ways they are kinda "sexy". The Venom 3's performance outperforms their aesthetics, they are a great sounding power cable and if purchased in three's are only $125.00 per cord.

Rick: musicdirect.com has a 60 day money back guarantee, you can't go wrong. Try a couple and see if your musical experience isn't much more enjoyable.

I'm using an Venom 3 on:
Decware Zen Torii MK4
Primaluna Premium Preamp
Oppo 105
Triton 2's

About a week ago I pulled the T2's off the CMX -6 > CMX-2 and plugged them directly into the wall outlets. I really like what I'm hearing at this point, and have no desire to add or subtract anything.

The only area where Dilettante and I differ is he doesn't like the sound of his Oppo 105 with the V3's, he prefers the Anti-Cable Reference power cable at over $300.00...whatever works.

Rick don't let that T Cobe character smooth talk you, try the Venom 3's. :P
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Rick,

I won't completely poopoo power cables until I hear for myself. I don't expect much of a difference on the T1s but if anything, I would guess the bass may be affected. I can't see how the passive mids and tweeters would change. I'll go into it for the looks more than anything so that I'm not disappointed either way. I look forward to hearing more feedback here on the forum. I do value the feedback from Anthem, Dilettante, and others.

I'm still on the fence regarding power cords for amps, receivers and other electronics. I can certainly see investing a modest amount of money on these cables but when I see $5,000 power cables and professionals touting them, the reviewer and the publisher lose credibility. Having run dedicated 20 amp outlets for each Triton and 2 more for my electronics, I have nothing interfering with my power. My noise floor is extremely low. I was surprised just how low it was when I added my XPA-5 and again today with the XPA-1L amplifiers. I was expecting to hear some hiss or other noise but my system is very quiet. The added acoustic treatments have made it even more quiet. I don't see power cables filtering anything out in my system...

Since I have all 12-guage wire run to the outlets, I see some value in upgrading to 12-guage power cables. It's probably overkill but I see no harm in upgrading. I can't imagine GET would send the T1s out to the world with14-guage power cables if they weren't sufficient. Anyways, it will be a while before I start upgrading cables. I want to get all of my components set first and I have a ways to go yet. Especially if I keep getting encouraged to go with the T2s as surrounds... :)

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395

T Cobe wrote: Rick,

I won't completely poopoo power cables until I hear for myself. I don't expect much of a difference on the T1s but if anything, I would guess the bass may be affected. I can't see how the passive mids and tweeters would change. I'll go into it for the looks more than anything so that I'm not disappointed either way. I look forward to hearing more feedback here on the forum. I do value the feedback from Anthem, Dilettante, and others.

I'm still on the fence regarding power cords for amps, receivers and other electronics. I can certainly see investing a modest amount of money on these cables but when I see $5,000 power cables and professionals touting them, the reviewer and the publisher lose credibility. Having run dedicated 20 amp outlets for each Triton and 2 more for my electronics, I have nothing interfering with my power. My noise floor is extremely low. I was surprised just how low it was when I added my XPA-5 and again today with the XPA-1L amplifiers. I was expecting to hear some hiss or other noise but my system is very quiet. The added acoustic treatments have made it even more quiet. I don't see power cables filtering anything out in my system...

Since I have all 12-guage wire run to the outlets, I see some value in upgrading to 12-guage power cables. It's probably overkill but I see no harm in upgrading. I can't imagine GET would send the T1s out to the world with14-guage power cables if they weren't sufficient. Anyways, it will be a while before I start upgrading cables. I want to get all of my components set first and I have a ways to go yet. Especially if I keep getting encouraged to go with the T2s as surrounds... :)

Cheers,

T Cobe

Hi, T Cobe

You know how I feel about T2's as surrounds. I feel adding the T1's and moving the T2's to surrounds was the biggest single quantum leap I have ever made with my system. The T1's and T2's just complement each other, and the way the bass gets distributed so evenly over 4 subs...There's a reason the T1's, T2's and SCXL were paired together at CES....(I guess it will be a SCXXL at the next CES).

Happy Listening!

Rick
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back