heart Power Cords

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 10 months ago
To Wayne et al re the article I tried to attach: when I download it to a file, it doesn't want to open in Word, or Abode reader. When I first downloaded it through AOL, it only wanted to open as an AOL document that apparently won't upload to the forum page. No clue why. AOL and Norton Security sometimes do weird things..

So as an alternate path, if you'd like to read the article, it's on the Galen Carol Audio web site (gcaudio.com). The title of the article is "Why Power Cords Make a Difference" When I searched "Galen Carol, power cords" it popped right up.

I agree with all that it is hard to keep the smoke and mirrors separate from factual science when researching lots of audio subjects, including cables.,

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Thanks Rick, I will search for it and read it. Thanks for trying so hard.
I am very skeptical about big gains from power cords. But I can always learn more.
I like the holistic approach, add up all the little tweaks and system improvements that I can afford and when I get done, WOW, it sounds pretty great!!!! So I spend money some would not, but I never break the bank on one thing.
Have fun with it ll,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Found it, but was kinda put off by the first statement: "Every audiophile who has experimented with better power cables has heard the performance advantage they offer."

Not sure I am buying that, but will continue reading.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395

WayneWilmeth wrote: Hi Guys,
Rick I could not find your attachment from Shummiuatragasaki that explained why power cords should help (opening post). I would like to read that. I do use after market cords myself, but only on the every-little-thing-might help-some basis, I cannot say for sure I can hear any difference.
But Rick, and a few others here, you guys have spent a LOT of hard earned cash on some wonderful, Top of the Line speakers (more than I can afford) and I am shocked at the speaker cables and interconnects you guys use to run them.
I am NOT Golden-Eared, I cannot discern every little nuance of sound like some of you guys can. And I admitted to not being able to hear the diff in power cables. BUT I can clearly hear the difference in good speaker cables and interconnects (to a lesser degree).
I am not trying to put anyone's system down, please don't misunderstand me.
AND I am not trying to hijack this thread. I am just trying to put power cords into a little perspective, sounds like you guys plan to try out new power cords before even some decent speaker cables or interconnects.
Pls just let me state my humble opinion then I will hush. Upgrading power cables is a pretty recent idea to come along, well after many years of research and work on making speaker cables and interconnects better. And he argument for improvement in these areas especially conveying the all important signal between your power amp and your speakers can be made much more strongly than from the wall outlet to your player, or whatever.
YES, I admit there is a TON of snake oil being sold in this area, YES there is a LOT of hype that is ridiculous. But good speaker cables are clearly, audibly better than lamp cord. And interconnects clearly better than the cheap crap that comes free with a HTIB.
I have spent less money for really good cables than some of you are talking about AudioQuest and gotten MUCH better cables, IMHO. I would stay away from the brands that have a lot of hype and advertising.
I went with Signal cables because of their Stereophile Recommended components rating and cheap price a few years ago and have never looked back. I get their Silver Resolution cables except where I needed LONG runs for my surround and rear speakers where I used their Classic speaker cables. Same with interconnects. Frank, the guy there is great to talk to, can help you find the right cables for your system and is ZERO hype or B.S. In fact, that is to his detriment as I am sure he could sell a LOT more of his cables at a LOT higher price if he would add some bull, put arrows on the wires and tell you that his cables are directional, and that they will clear your nasal passages when you play music through them.
I do have some MIT cables that are clearly better yet, and IF someone cannot hear the difference when they are put in the system, then they have a hearing problem or a mental denial problem. BUT they were ridiculously expensive in my books. I do have to live on a budget too now that I am retired.
Sorry, I have said my piece, I would upgrade speaker cables first, interconnects second and then power cords third.
Happy Trails,
God Bless, Wayne
I have NO connection with Signal cables, just a satisfied customer

Hi, Wayne

You mentioned you use Resolution Silver cables for all but long runs, where you use Classic cables. Two areas that would help my thinking process on cables:

1. I have read/heard a number of times that silver cables can add to "brightness" some. Given that I have a fair amount of reflective surfaces to deal with and don't want to add brightness, what is your experience with the silver cables?? In what ways did they change/improve the sound?

2. I have concerns about using a 2nd kind of cable for the long runs, and what that would do to the seamless tonal balance between all speakers I now hear with all copper. Did you detect any shift between the "sound" of the speakers on Classic vs. Silver cables? You obviously prefer the Silver cables

Thanks, Wayne. It's nice to know there are resources available on the forum who've tried some of the things we're contemplating and will give feedback without smoke and mirrors!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hey Rick,
Those are great questions. And I will try to give you as straightforward answers as I can.
I have heard the same exact things as you about silver cables. That is the rap.
However, in my system I like the clarity, detail and just totally unaltered sound I get from silver, interconnects and speaker cables.
I do NOT think they ADD anything, brightness or anything. I find copper cables great, perhaps even better than silver for bass, low frequencies. But being a bass head, I still prefer silver as I like what I believe is the neutrality of the cables across all frequencies.
My experience with the Tritons is that they are very neutral, and silver just articulates the best of the highs, without being bright. Also, remember that I have tubes in my system, so my electronics are not bright.
I will say (remember I do not claim to have the best hearing) that the only sonic "shift" I hear with cables is subtractive. In other words, to me, lesser cables, even my classic cables (copper) just lose a bit of their clarity, high freq "air", just are not quite as beautiful sounding in the upper frequencies. Bass is fine.
That does not mean they sound bad at all, or that my rear surround speakers don't "match" timbre with the front speakers (on silver cables), their sound is just a touch rolled off in the highs by comparison. BUT even then, this is not really a problem because those amps running my surround and rear speakers are class D amps, not my fine hybrid tube/transistor amps for my front 3 channels. Those amps are possibly a little brighter, so the sound with the copper cables sounds of a piece with the rest of the system, OR AS NEAR AS MY EARS CAN TELL.
SO..... IF your system has any tendency towards bright sound, then I would NOT recommend silver resolution cables for you. In fact, the normal classic cables would be great all around I am sure. They are extremely well made and sound great. They look better in a dark theater too, as they are black. My silver cables are white and do not look quite as good. That was for Toby, ha ha.
I really hope this helps and does make sense. This is not smoke and mirrors.
I am staying with talking about real world, very moderately priced cables. I have some expensive cables (that are great), and I have heard a system with Triton 2s where the cables cost FAR more than our speakers, with a $10,000 CD player and they sounded incredible!!!! But I have heard some REALLY expensive cables with $20,000 speakers that did not sound anywhere near as good as my modest setup with Triton 2s. Speakers make the biggest difference to me, and that is why we are all here.
So, for what it is worth, that is likely all I can tell you.
Please let me know if it helps, makes sense, or if you have any questions. It is all fun.
God Bless, Wayne
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395

WayneWilmeth wrote: Hey Rick,
Those are great questions. And I will try to give you as straightforward answers as I can.
I have heard the same exact things as you about silver cables. That is the rap.
However, in my system I like the clarity, detail and just totally unaltered sound I get from silver, interconnects and speaker cables.
I do NOT think they ADD anything, brightness or anything. I find copper cables great, perhaps even better than silver for bass, low frequencies. But being a bass head, I still prefer silver as I like what I believe is the neutrality of the cables across all frequencies.
My experience with the Tritons is that they are very neutral, and silver just articulates the best of the highs, without being bright. Also, remember that I have tubes in my system, so my electronics are not bright.
I will say (remember I do not claim to have the best hearing) that the only sonic "shift" I hear with cables is subtractive. In other words, to me, lesser cables, even my classic cables (copper) just lose a bit of their clarity, high freq "air", just are not quite as beautiful sounding in the upper frequencies. Bass is fine.
That does not mean they sound bad at all, or that my rear surround speakers don't "match" timbre with the front speakers (on silver cables), their sound is just a touch rolled off in the highs by comparison. BUT even then, this is not really a problem because those amps running my surround and rear speakers are class D amps, not my fine hybrid tube/transistor amps for my front 3 channels. Those amps are possibly a little brighter, so the sound with the copper cables sounds of a piece with the rest of the system, OR AS NEAR AS MY EARS CAN TELL.
SO..... IF your system has any tendency towards bright sound, then I would NOT recommend silver resolution cables for you. In fact, the normal classic cables would be great all around I am sure. They are extremely well made and sound great. They look better in a dark theater too, as they are black. My silver cables are white and do not look quite as good. That was for Toby, ha ha.
I really hope this helps and does make sense. This is not smoke and mirrors.
I am staying with talking about real world, very moderately priced cables. I have some expensive cables (that are great), and I have heard a system with Triton 2s where the cables cost FAR more than our speakers, with a $10,000 CD player and they sounded incredible!!!! But I have heard some REALLY expensive cables with $20,000 speakers that did not sound anywhere near as good as my modest setup with Triton 2s. Speakers make the biggest difference to me, and that is why we are all here.
So, for what it is worth, that is likely all I can tell you.
Please let me know if it helps, makes sense, or if you have any questions. It is all fun.
God Bless, Wayne

Thanks, Wayne

Great answer! It makes me a lot more comfortable about installing something like the Classic cables (probably on the fronts/center first), for a number of reasons.
1. I agree that if silver carries a risk of adding perceived brightness, in my case I should avoid them.
2. By sticking with copper, I greatly reduce the risk of having any tonal difference between fronts/centers and rear/surround right from the start, and can easily put the same cables on the rears/surrounds if, as expected, I get a real performance boost on the fronts/center. Also, all the speaker channels are driven by the same receiver and therefore would share it's sonic signature, delivered by the same cables. Sounds like a sonic winner. Just like I have now, but with better cables.
3. It's good to learn about real world experiences with particular cables on GEt speakers. I would guess that different speaker brands may each be best served by different cables, depending on each's particular strengths/weaknesses.

Thanks for taking the time to give such helpful feedback! I guess I need to add this to my Sept. to do list.

Rick
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back