heart Power Cords

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 1 month ago
Rick, I seriously hope you guys will come and visit. But glad it is not today, though I could use the help.
NEVER build a sunken home theater!!!!!
It is full on rain season and just raining non stop, water is seeping through the floor, walls, coming in the holes where I ran the speaker cables in conduit under the floor slab. Soaked the rugs, towels, having to mop it up to keep from my lovely speakers and amps getting wet!!!!!
Pray it stops raining and dries out around here, thanks!!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 6 years 1 month ago

rjohn79395 wrote: Anthem, what do you say?

I priced round trip tickets out of Austin (we're booked the rest of the summer in NH, so it couldn't be before Oct or Nov earliest), about $1k pp.

My only visit to Thailand was a business trip in the 90's. Beautiful country. We've also recently hosted Thai visiting scholars here in NH, who were staying at Brewster Academy for the summer for an orientation before starting 4 years of college. Amazingly friendly and polite people. We loved having them.

And Wayne's offer is SO tempting. Would love to personally meet you all, share stories, compare notes on what gear works well with GEt's and why, hear some great SQ on Wayne's system, see what PC's do on 220v systems, get a sense of what a GOOD room correction system can do, see more of beautiful Thailand, and most of all, get to know you all better. That is definitely on my bucket list! (As long as Thai Customs won't wonder about and want to confiscate all those PC's packed in the luggage.... ;) )

Rick

Thanks guys for the invite. But. I ran it by "The Wife"...to much Hassle! No trip for Anthem. I never have enjoyed taking trips. Not my thing. You could offer me an All expense paid 2-week Paris or Thailand vacation / or a 2-channel stereo dream system set up in my house for 2 weeks of intense listening. I'll take the 2 weeks of intense listening any day.

Today I'm listening to the mc152/Primaluna/Oppo combo with All AntiCable speaker wires and PC's. Lovely! Just Lovely!
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Sorry to hear that Anthem, sounds like you just want to stay put in Kansas.
Happy listening there,
God Bless,
Wayne
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 6 years 1 month ago
Hi, Wayne

It seems travelling long distances on airplanes is not a favorite sport of a lot of people... my wife Judy included. She reluctantly flies between TX and NH in lieu of 4 days of driving, but 30 hours to Thailand is not something she relishes.

But I want to come visit, even if only me. I DO want to check some more that Customs on either end won't get antsy about PC's in luggage ((I would bring copies of my receipts that they were mine, not for sale).

I'll contact you after I return to TX mid Sept. and we can see if something will work.

Thanks again for your offer! You know that you are welcome here anytime also.

Ain't this hobby FUN????

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hey Rick, that would be wonderful, great if you would come visit!!!!
Wish Judy would come too, my wife would enjoy that.
You don't really have to bring any PCs we can have a listen to them when I can come to your house.
YES, this is a fun hobby and you NEVER know what might happen!!!!!
Let's plan, God Bless,
Wayne
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
charliehatch Posted 6 years 1 week ago
Hi Guys,

When my wallet finally recharged, I purchased a 1 meter Nordost Heimdall 2 PC to replace the 1 meter Nordost Red Dawn power cord that feeds my Auralic Vega DAC (which also acts as my preamp).

Also important to note is that I am running a Furman PL-PRO C 20 Amp Power Conditioner that goes into my 20 A wall socket. The Heimdall plugs into the Furman, as does all my critical audio equipment. This will be important later.

Before the change, my three Red Dawn PCs (to DAC and my two Bel Canto monoblock amps) had continued to break in over time, and had evolved to produce very sharp transients, so sharp that rim shot transients almost sounded like breaking glass. Imaging was very good with a great sense of depth.

I switched in the non-broken-in Heimdall to feed the DAC. The initial impression was that the Heimdall had slightly less definition, and imaging was a little more vague. After about 12 hours, it started to tighten up.

Over a period of around 45 hours, there was a very slow change in the sound, and I was back to imaging as tight as before, but it never got to that same “breaking glass” transient sharpness that the Red Dawn had. At least so far.

At 45 hours, change had slowed way down, and I started thinking about the captive PC that feeds the Furman. It was laying on the floor, loosely coiled in about three turns. If PCs downstream can affect the sound, why not the PC upstream? Especially the one that feeds all my analog gear? I wondered if 1) the coils could be causing inductance effects, and 2) the PC cable could be interacting with my laminate flooring. (I had experienced this with speaker cables before.) So I decided to uncoil the Furman PC and elevate it on my homemade hot-drink-cup cable elevators. This raised it about 5 inches off the floor. I kept all cables away from each other as much as possible.

The result was surprising! The sound was warmer, and both imaging and depth were better than before. I played some percussion recordings and found everything sounded very natural. No more breaking glass sharpness. Brass and string orchestral recordings sounded velvety smooth, better than ever. Very non-fatiguing to listen to.

I now have around 55 hours on the Heimdall and 10 hours since the change to the Furman PC. Things appear to be stable, although that may change.

Bottom line: Once broken in, the Heimdall PC sounds a little sweeter/smoother than the Red Dawn, with roughly the same amount of imaging precision and depth as before. However, uncoiling and elevating the Furman PC caused significant changes of its own: much smoother highs, more depth, and improved imaging.

So, yes, power cords do make a difference, and even something as simple as uncoiling and elevating a coiled cable can make a difference.

Charlie
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back