heart Power Cords

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
charliehatch Posted 6 years 2 months ago
Well, guys, here's the result of changing to Nordost Red Dawn power cords on my Bel Canto REF600M monoblocks. The cords are 1 meter and replace the longer (2 meter ish) stock cords.

I expected no change. What I got was....change. My first impression was that the system sounded more detailed and brighter! This is the exact opposite of the bass boost effect of this PC on my DAC/Pre.

The effect is small, but what I'm hearing is a little more detail, sharper transients, and tighter imaging. There is more of a sense of space and depth. Yes, more holographic.

Stranger yet is that I seem to have gone through a cable break in with these. Things were so bright for a while that I seriously considered going back to the stock cords, but I decided to give them more time. Now, things have settled down and the excess brightness is mostly gone. Some very bright recordings remain so, but well-recorded music sounds quite natural.

So, surprise. I heard a difference, albeit small.

Charlie
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 6 years 2 months ago
Hi, Charlie

Your experience is kind of similar to mine, with my 5 channel AT525NC amp. I didn't really notice a bass boost, varying between the stock cord, an AntiCable Reference 3, an AntiCable 2, and a Signal Magic. What I DID get was a difference in clarity, sometimes bordering on hardness, with the Reference 3 being the most clear but some hard, the Reference 2 less so, and the Signal Magic, for me, the best compromise between clarity and musicality. And the stock cord wasn't quite as clean/clear as any of the after market cords. Not huge differences, but noticeable. Again, a bigger difference with an aftermarket PC on the Oppo player or the Marantz AVR.

But, a good PC on an amp does SOMETHING to change how the amp performs. I guess I don't know either just what.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, T Cobe, charliehatch

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

rjohn79395 wrote: But, a good PC on an amp does SOMETHING to change how the amp performs. I guess I don't know either just what.

Amen to that! It has been a very interesting experiment, and I have a feeling that the sound will continue to evolve for a while yet. It did with interconnect and speaker cable changes.

Charlie
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 6 years 2 months ago
Just a quick note here as my time is limited. I have had the same experience with the Nordost PCs. They are my favorite so far.

I have the Red Dawn cables on my amps as well as balanced interconnects for my two channel set up. I have their Heimdall PCs on my pre-amp and CD player. Charlie has shared some great points. The only thing I can add is that I have found that the lower the voltage of the signal on the component, the more important it is to have a good PC. The Heimdall PCs on my CD player and pre-amp have made a big difference. Same if I switch one of them over to my turntable.

If you are in the market for new PCs and can audition the Nordost line up, I would certainly add it to your demo list! I really like the Heaimdall speaker cables as well, but those come with a lofty price tag that I’m just not currently comfortable with. My Anticables 3 speaker cables come reasonably close for a fraction of the cost and that will have to do for now.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, charliehatch

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 2 months ago
Thanks so very much T. Cobe to join in and share your opinions and observations.
I hope you can share more in the future.
We NEED you here!!!!

I am especially intrigued that you mention the lower the voltage of the signal the more benefit you get from the better PCs.
I hope I paraphrased that correctly. My attempt to copy and paste did not work at all.
I think you are talking about low level musical signals, BUT you are talking about Power Cords here.
SO, I am wondering IF I find differences in PCs much less audible and/or important over here where my power is double what you guys are working with, 220VAC??????
That may be a stretch, but any comments, ideas anybody?????
Charlie, this is more in your area of expertise, any thoughts?
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Wayne, if my theory that current is the thing that PCs are sensitive to, then by doubling your line voltage, you'll have half the supply current for any given component. So, MAYBE, you would be less sensitive to PCs.

Then again, maybe my theory is a crock. :)

T Cobe, thanks for your input on this. Makes me wonder what the higher level PC would do for my DAC/Pre.

Charlie
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back