heart Power Cords

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 2 months ago
Appreciate your honesty Charlie, I have no idea either.
Maybe someone else has a theory or wants to share a thought?
One definite possibility is that these old oil field worker ears are just not that great at hearing the differences.
Could be huh?????
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe, charliehatch

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 6 years 2 months ago
Wayne, I was referring to the voltage of the audio signal. I know the voltage of the audio signal in my system gets bumped up as it goes from the CD player and ultimately to the speakers. It just a hypothesis.

Charlie, my guess is that you will here just as much bass with the Heimdall but an added level of clarity and resolution. It was a significant difference in my auditions at my dealer and I’ve replicated that impression in my home. Again, I’d love to upgrade my balanced audio cables and speaker cables to Heimdall, but my discretionary spending isn’t as much as it used to be.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, charliehatch

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
charliehatch Posted 6 years 2 months ago
Hmm, Heimdall...I've heard that recommendation from a dealer...now you have me VERY CURIOUS. This is always dangerous for my wallet!

Charlie
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Yes, T. Cobe, I hear what you are saying. And it is VERY interesting reading all the comments, and reviews you guys are giving based on changing your PCs out for more expensive ones. It is rather hard to understand the improvements you guys are reporting.
Interconnects, and speaker cables I can sorta see as they do conduct the actual musical signals along the way. BUT power cords do not.
Mind you, I don't have any "stock, came with the equipment, cheapest old power cords they could supply" in my system.
Everywhere I am using after market, big as water hoses PCs, fall off all the time because they are too big, bulky and heavy to stay plugged into the socket.
So I am leaving it at that, figuring that, hoping that these are enough, doing a great job, etc.
I am not investing in even trying PCs that cost as much as a good DVD player.
And I am really happy with my system, my sound, so I am resisting the temptation to upgrade PCs when I read this thread.
I was just hoping there might be a logical reason why I am happy already, maybe at 220 V I am getting plenty of good elect. through my wires already.
Happy listening guys,
God Bless,
Wayne
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, charliehatch

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
charliehatch Posted 6 years 2 months ago

WayneWilmeth wrote: It is rather hard to understand the improvements you guys are reporting.
Interconnects, and speaker cables I can sorta see as they do conduct the actual musical signals along the way. BUT power cords do not.

Wayne, I agree that it's hard to understand, and I'll be the first to admit that I don't fully understand it either. That said, any component that pushes a musical signal as output needs to draw power equivalent to the power being delivered (plus internal losses). That means that the component must draw power from the PC, and this power draw must happen in real time as musical signals change on the output. Thus, the 60 Hz supply current probably isn't constant and must be modulated indirectly by the music in some way as it works to replenish the component. I have seen data that someone posted where they measured a musical signal on the PC. IF that is really happening, then PC inductance, capacitance, and insulation effects come into play, and different cable designs can make a difference. Since several of us have heard this difference, something like this must be going on. Mass delusion seems less likely.

I also tried the fire hose PCs, and found no detectable difference in the sound compared to stock PCs. The Nordost Red Dawn PCs are about the same size as the stock PCs, but there must be something different in the construction (compared to the fire hoses and stock PCs) that makes the difference in the sound.

I can understand your reluctance to invest more money in that direction when you are satisfied with your sound. I've always been kind of an explorer, and I love to look around the next corner. As long as my wallet power supply can keep up.

Charlie
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I HEAR ya Charlie.
And I do believe what you guys are hearing and reporting.
BUT
My wallet power supply cannot do the pricier Power Cables.
AND
I already have aftermarket power cables, though not NEARLY as expensive as what you guys are going with.
ALSO
I can't help but wonder, after all we are talking about power being able to come through those cords fast enough to replenish the power used by our components, and in some relatively unlimited way and uncolored way, I just can't help but wonder whether or not my having TWICE the voltage available to my components as you guys have (OK, a few less Hz, but I doubt that 50 Hz instead of 60 Hz is Hurting (pun intended) anything), can make a difference, an audible difference where PCs are not as important as they are to you guys with your puny voltage?????
Still just a thought, I am not an electrical engr.
Just looking for thoughts and answers here.
God Bless,
Wayne
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, charliehatch

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back