heart Power Cords

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
charliehatch Posted 6 years 2 months ago

WayneWilmeth wrote: I just can't help but wonder whether or not my having TWICE the voltage available to my components as you guys have (OK, a few less Hz, but I doubt that 50 Hz instead of 60 Hz is Hurting (pun intended) anything), can make a difference, an audible difference where PCs are not as important as they are to you guys with your puny voltage?????

I thin the pun might be Hertzing. :)

Unfortunately, there's only one way to answer your questions...unless you have a very good friend/dealer who will let you try them. (By the way, I have a bunch of unused fire hose PCs sitting on a shelf!)

Charlie
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 6 years 2 months ago
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Moderator. info_outline

WayneWilmeth wrote: I just can't help but wonder whether or not my having TWICE the voltage available to my components as you guys have (OK, a few less Hz, but I doubt that 50 Hz instead of 60 Hz is Hurting (pun intended) anything), can make a difference, an audible difference where PCs are not as important as they are to you guys with your puny voltage?????
Still just a thought, I am not an electrical engr.
Just looking for thoughts and answers here.

Yes, that is a factor for high power devices (tube anything, power amps).

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 2 months ago
Thank you very much Moderator Dude!!!!!
It only makes sense to me. I mean, even in the U.S. when you wire houses with 110 all around, you put in 220 for elect. ovens and some big dryers so they have the power to get more hot.
So I reckon my dedicated circuit to my home theater, with 220 VAC through a line conditioner (for the digital stuff and straight through for the amps) and the bass units of our beloved speakers straight from the wall, all through after market power cords large enough to let all that power through......just ought to be enough.
Admittedly I could always use some snake oil in there or fairy dust to make it better. But I am gonna have to let it pass.
I will follow what you guys do with your fancy power cords, with interest, and happy for your improvements.
But I feel vindicated by the Moderator Dude here.
And will stay outta the mid day sun of any further power cord upgrades.
Happy listening,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
charliehatch Posted 6 years 1 month ago
Folks, just a follow up on my impressions with the Nordost Red Dawns to my DAC/Pre and my two monoblocks.

The sound has settled in and is noticeably better than the stock PCs. Better imaging resolution, more of a sense of depth and space, but now there's this hard to describe quality I'll call tactile. Things are just more THERE. One of those remove the veil things, but now at a higher level. More three dimensional. A bigger difference than I thought initially.

When my wallet finishes recharging, I plan to upgrade to the Nordost Heimdall for my DAC/Pre. I'll leave the amps alone.

Finally, Wayne, I think there's more involved here than current delivery capability, whether 120 or 240V. I think it's an inductance or capacitance (aka reactance) thing combined with insulation effects. Even with lower current and 240V, the reactance of the cable will still be there and can affect the signal. As will the insulation.

How else can I explain the fact that my infinite-current-capability firehose aftermarket PCs did NOT change the sound from the stock PCs? (And, one dealer I talked to said the same thing.) It ain't about current handling capability; it has to be subtle stuff like cable geometry (reactance) and/or insulation.

So it's quite possible one would hear an improvement even with a system running 240V power.

Sorry to say, snake oil it ain't. People used to think interconnects and speaker cables didn't matter either. But they do.

Charlie
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 1 month ago
Thanks Charlie, love to read your comments and find them interesting.
Another of my "thoughts" regarding why I will not spend the money to try these very expensive (and that is the MAIN reason---correct that, the MAIN reason is that I don't believe I can hear the difference!!!!) PCs...... They are one and all developed with their proprietary this and that, dialectic formulae, special twists and turns and insulation, etc. all developed and maximized, perfected for 110 VAC 60 Hz. For American use.
So that makes me think they will not work as well over here. I just don't know and I won't know.
I am like Anthem and buy myself presents every once in a while, when I "think" I have the disposable income.
Here is my present to myself.
Breville BES870XL, Barista Express.
And bags of green coffee beans that I will roast and blend for espresso myself.
Hobbies, money pits!!!!!
Happy listening,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe, charliehatch

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
charliehatch Posted 6 years 1 month ago
Wayne, a very impressive looking machine, but I have to warn you that this gourmet coffee thing can send you down the economic rathole just like audio equipment! And, you're roasting your own?! You are getting in deep now!

Reminds me that the VERY BEST coffee I ever had, EVER, was Guatemala Antigua right out of the roaster. OMG. Ruined me for life.

Enjoy!

Charlie

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back