heart Power Cords

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
T Cobe Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Quick update on the cables here. I'm now testing them on my T1s in home theater for a quick test of the dynamics to be gained. Playing the same scene at the same volume and not moving the sound level meter, I peaked out with the stock power cables at a respectable 96 dB and with the Pangeas I reached a whopping 100 dB! A 4dB gain is not bad. With my Integra receiver only set to 60, these are pretty dynamic levels. These results were obtained on the BMW versus motorcycle chase scene on Mission:Impossible, Rogue Nation.

Between the perceived improvements on the sound of the movie and the extra dBs on the sound level meter, I'd say this is another positive gain. Between that and the shorter cables in my setup up front, the cost is reasonable. I may be back to the AC 14SE MKII for my Tritons. I'll definitely be going with the AC 9 MKII for my class A amps though, so I can try those on the T1s to see if there is any added benefit. Conclusion: $49.99 well spent!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Now hold on a minute Bro T. Cobe!
What??????
Are you seriously telling us there was a 4 dB volume increase between playing with stock GEt cables on
your Triton Ones and then using the Pancreas cables?????
Same everything?????
I have NEVER heard any claims of anything so dramatic as that!!!!
I mean 4 dB is on a log scale, meaning it is WAY the HECK louder!!!!
An audible and measurable difference?????
I will admit to being shocked!!!!
Can't wait to hear more.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by T Cobe. info_outline
Wayne,

That's what I measured. Of course, this is far from conclusive since I only did the comparison twice. I would probably need to run it several times to be sure that the results are consistent. I will also say that the sound meter I am using is a Radio Shack model that cost less than $20. Lastly, I had my stock power cable folded over several times to keep it short and hidden in my setup.

At lower volumes, there is not much of a difference but when I turned it up, it was more dynamic. Based on my measurements and listening impressions, there is a definite improvement. It is subtle, but there. To me, the cosmetic improvement would have been worth the cost alone. The fact that I perceive an audible improvement and have measured a 4 dB gain during the loudest scenes is the icing on the cake. I also listened to a few songs at normal volumes late yesterday afternoon and the bass had a little better tonality on a few tracks with which I am familiar (Spanish Harlem and I Love Paris on the Ultimate Demonstration Disk).

That's all for now. I'm considering testing my monoblocks with the Pangeas today but may not have time. I will place another order for more cables this week so I can experiment more over the New Year holiday. Small improvements on each component should add up to something significant, not that 4 dB extra bass is not. As you say, YMMV.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395

• Splash51's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 408
Splash51 Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Hi T-Cobe, I also have an analog Radio Shack SPM. Where are you placing your meter? I would like to duplicate your test with the AQ NRG-X3s I am currently testing.

Thanks,
DT
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Greetings, DT. The measurements were essentially from my PLP. 12' back and dead center from my T1s and at about chest level to be more precise. Please post your findings.

Cheers,

T Cobe

• Splash51's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 408
Splash51 Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Well bad news, I don't trust my sound pressure meter :( I am only getting readings between 80 and 95dB on the 90dB range setting. Sounds good except on any other setting 80-60 and 100 - 120 nada. I would expect to see readings across the 80dB setting as there is a 16dB range from the setting point. -10 thru +6. So If I am measuring 82dB (-8 on the meter) on the 90dB range, I should read a +2 on the 80dB setting. The needle does not move on the 80db setting at all, or any other for that matter except I do see on the 100dB setting 90 - 93. I am using A weighted Slow response????? Oh well so much for that.

I tried lower volumes to see if the 80 70 even the 60dB would register. Nope.

Am I using this thing wrong???

DT
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back