heart Power Cords

• Splash51's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 408
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Splash51 Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Hi tsgt2007,

I did some listening yesterday. I do hear a difference, it seems to move the sound stage a little wider. Instruments seem to be more defined in their location and a little more quiet background. If that makes any since? That was with the AQ's plugged directly into the wall. I played with the AVR and Oppo plugged into the wall then added the AQ to the Oppo. This is where I noticed the difference. I have a lot more to try but it will be next week before I have any quiet time around here :side:

Enjoy
DT
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tsgt2007's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 161
Tsgt2007 Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Hello Splash51
I couldn't describe it any better. The only thing is that I have everything plugged into the Panamax. I agree, play with it some more when you have time and again when the cables break in the speakers will sound even better in my opinion . I'm glad that your enjoying them Merry Christmas to you and everyone on this forum!
Jose
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, Splash51, T Cobe

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 8 months ago
I'll be interested in any feedback regarding trying power cords on external amps. I am still driving my NAD stereo amp (feeding the T1's) with a stock power cord, and wondering if I should be considering adding an Ant-Cable there also...

Happy listening, and happy experimenting. all!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, T Cobe

• Tsgt2007's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 161
Tsgt2007 Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Merry Christmas Rick!
I would especially you have 30 days to try them out.
Jose
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 8 months ago
I received my 1 meter Pangea AC 14SE MKII cables on Christmas Eve and have been playing with them a few days. I have played various songs that I am very familiar with and used a sound level meter during playback to see if I was able to measure any differences. What I've been able to test thus far is fairly limited since I've performed the testing at lower volumes and the cords are on my CD player and pre-amp.

I have been extremely happy with my system and decided on the power cords based on feedback here and the desire to clean things up a little over the long stock cords. So, my objective at the very least was to obtain a cosmetic improvement and to cut down on clutter with the hopes of achieving some benefit in sound. Manufacturers claims can be pretty wide ranging for power cords. I get it, they have to sell their products. Professional reviewers are trained critical listeners and tend to exaggerate what they hear for several reasons. One review I read, the reviewer was even kind enough to point this out. With a back ground in electronics, I went into this upgrade with a healthy dose of skepticism.

Things that have not changed for me are the extremely quiet background, dynamics, bass, clarity, and imaging. All of these qualities already existed in spades in my system. At this point, my ears are still adjusting to the differences, which are subtle, but I would say if anything, my system may even be a little less transparent then before. More on that in the benefits... I do plan to add a few more cords to my amps and T1s and these benefits may be achieved with that upgrade since those components are more likely to effect the noise floor and dynamics.

What I did find was an added richness and warmth in the midrange, along with a smoother sound overall. I think this is consistent with what Rick, Anthem, and Dilettante have been describing. I went back last night to review their findings versus mine and did see a bit of a common theme. There certainly is a bit less harshness in some of the dynamics such as loud notes from saxophones and other brass. The peak volume is still there, it's just not as "in your face". Initial listening gave the perception of less volume but the use of a sound level meter proved otherwise. The added richness and warmth were most apparent in powerful male vocals. The sound of these was deeper and richer: sounding like they were coming from the chest versus just the mouth. Female vocals sounded very similar in the upper ranges with the possibility of a tad more warmth.

After adding the cords, it seems like my sound without them may have been a little soft in the middle. The peaks at the top and bottom were certainly there but there may have been a dip in the middle. The addition of these cables seems to have leveled everything out and covered up some of the resolution of low level background detail. The sounds are all still there and can be made out clearly, they simply draw less attention to themselves. While this makes the sound smoother and maybe less "clinical", I have also perceived this as a little less transparent. This may be an error and the perception may change as my ears break in to the difference.

In terms of build quality and appearance, both are top notch on the Pangea cables. The cable is solid and exudes quality. As one would expect, it is a bit stiffer than a stock cord due to its size but it is surprisingly supple for its heft. The blue and black cable protector matches my current color scheme and that appeals to my meticulous nature. If anything, I think the cable looks better live versus in pictures.

In summary, the differences I'm hearing are subtle and additive versus transformational. This is based on my equipment, my room, and my ear. The slight change has added some warmth and richness to the sound while simultaneously toning down what may have been mildly offensive. Between the modest improvement in sound and the much improved performance, this modest investment of only $49.99 per cable is worth the investment. I will be adding the larger AC9 MKII to my T1s and amplifiers next to clean up the front of my theater and see if I am able to achieve any further benefit. Happy listening!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Hi, T Cobe

Great report and detail!

I do believe different cords create slightly different effects. When I had the Venom 3 on the Marantz AVR, I felt the SQ was "softer" than the stock cord, even to the point where I missed the "sharper", more detailed sounds of acoustic guitars. With the the Anti-Cable, on the AVR and the OPPO, I guess the description I would use is smoothness, richness, clarity. Having heard differences with stock and different power cords, I have no doubt that changing power cords affects SQ, that different power cords would have subtly different SQ effects (and the effects may well vary on different systems/components), and if the resultant effects of a particular cord are in a direction that increases listening pleasure, then it's a good thing.

I'll be very interested in what power cords do for your T1's and amp's

I'm still sorting out in my mind if I want to try a power cord upgrade on my NAD amp...do I even want to change the SQ I have now at all???? Do I want to try other cords on the T1's (I didn't hear a difference with Venom 3's)? Decisions, decisions.

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back