heart Power Cords

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
T Cobe Posted 8 years 8 months ago
DT,

Mine is a newer digital meter with fewer options. Definitely no range settings. I have fast, slow, min, max, and A weighted and C weighted metering. I googled the proper settings previously and can confirm my settings later. I think you will need to play loud to have a chance at measuring the differences if you get any. At normal listening levels for music, I had no difference between the cords. It wasn't until HT use that I measured a difference. Can you hear any audible difference?

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by T Cobe. info_outline
DT,

I used C-weighting with fast response on my digital sound level meter. I know for steady test tones and calibration, slow response is preferred, but what about peak noise levels? As previously stated, my meter is digital and requires no range settings. I'm not entirely sure just how accurate it is, so I certainly wouldn't post my measurements in a peer reviewed publication or journal as scientific evidence. It was really more for my knowledge and to help me determine if my subjective impressions were verifiable.

With this topic, it is all about subjective impressions. It either sounds better to you or it doesn't. There really is no need to try and convince anyone on another forum that shall not be named. At the end of the day, it's your system and it needs to make YOU happy. I, for one, am glad Anthem, Rick, Tsgt2007, and a few others convinced me to try the power cords. They have made me happier with my system and that is all that matters.

I have 4 more Pangeas inbound and arriving by Wednesday, barring any delays due to our current Winter storm. I'll be connecting my pre-amp, CD player, and both XPA-1Ls to them and will report back my impressions. I've read that the XPA-1L comes with an 18 gauge power cable and that was defended by the manufacturers representative. If that's true, the 14 gauge Pangea should be plenty. The 7 gauge AC-9SE MKII would certainly be overkill. We'll see what pans out.

I look forward to hearing some of your findings. Happy listening!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395, Splash51

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
We're back from a 5 day visit to see son #1 and family in NY, including two adorable grand daughters (had a visit with son #2 and family in TX, including two fantastic grandsons, before leaving). Visit was great, travel had the usual delays.

I turned on the GEt sysyem as soon as we got back, having listened to Christmas and other music mostly on a Jawbone for 5 days. I really needed a GEt fix! The Eagles's Farewell Tour DVD got me all fixed up... I was at the concert once again.

Thanks, T Cobe and DT and all for the great feedback on power cords (per the Moderator Dude also, it seems GEt uses upgraded power cords on all components for their show demo's). I've decided to test an Anti-Cable on the NAD amp, and will try it on the T1's also (T Cobe, when I tested the Venom 3 on the T1's, I did not try max volume as you did, I played only in the 65-75 db range, so I really don't know if that particular cord extended the max volume.. I just didn't hear a difference in the 65-75 db range).

Since I really like the effect Anti-Cables have had on my system, I'm sticking with them for further testing. I would guess that mixing cable types is OK also (I have kept the Venom 3's on the T2's).

Happy listening all!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Rick,

Welcome back! Glad you had a good trip and made it home safely. I know what you mean about missing your audio gear. That's usually one of the first things I do when I get back from a trip.

At normal volumes and on music, I didn't notice mush difference. I do feel that there may be an improvement in the tonality of the bass. It is more noticeable on higher quality recordings. HT is definitely where the cords made a bigger difference. I'm excited to hear what things sound like with the new cords all around. After having them on my CD player and pre-amp, it was tough taking a step backwards but the cords really cleaned up the front of my theater.

It looks like the additional Pangeas I ordered may arrive today. I have fabricated a few amps stands to move my monoblocks next to my T1s so that all the cords will reach and to make room for the rest of my 2-channel setup. I have the rest of the week off after today so I'll have plenty of time to test things out. I'll also have to paint the amps stand platforms, between listening sessions of course. ;)

Cheers,

T Cobe
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395

• Splash51's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 408
Splash51 Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Hi T Cobe,

My meter is at least 15 years old, I'm not surprised its on the fritz. As far as what I hear, I noticed a subtle but discernable difference when the AQ cords are on the Oppo plugged into the wall. I am running the Yamaha and the Oppo on them now thru the Panamax. I am listening at what I am guessing is about 75~85dB. What I hear is stringed instruments fade longer and this is what I am calling a quieter background? Bass is a bit more defined but not on all recordings? Voices male and female are the more noticeable. More space between voice and sound stage. Each word seems more accurately completed? I noticed this with stock cords when I added the XPA-1. They really improved my entire sound dynamics :cheer:

I agree what you hear and you like is all that matters. I am not discussing this on the "other" forum. it's pointless.

What I am tinkering with now. I am using the meter to see if there is a measurable difference in volume between sources( NAS Vs. CD). I have most of my CD's ripped to FLAC and on an NAS device. I stream this thru the Yamaha and the Oppo. I am trying to determine if I can hear and/or measure a volume difference. I set the volume on the Yamaha to the same setting and play thru each and then the CD.

I was just starting this when I noticed the meters lower settings were not responding?

Enjoy,
DT
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• Splash51's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 408
Splash51 Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Quick update, I have found apps for Android/IOS devices that uses the internal mic to feed an SPL app. I am using one called decibel, seems to work fine and keeps a log, measures in unweighted as well as A C Z? Anyway I'm back in business.

DT
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back