• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Hey Bro Rick,
Let's talk about the USPS!!!!!
No, I won't because I love to see this forum keep positive and yet I can positively say some
nasty things about the USPS. Got an hour????
We will wait patiently like you for your reports.
Totally off topic, are you are Texans fan by any chance?
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, Splash51, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline

WayneWilmeth wrote: Hey Bro Rick,
Let's talk about the USPS!!!!!
No, I won't because I love to see this forum keep positive and yet I can positively say some
nasty things about the USPS. Got an hour????
We will wait patiently like you for your reports.
Totally off topic, are you are Texans fan by any chance?
God Bless,
Wayne

Hi, Wayne

Having grown up in Massachusetts, I am a transplanted Patriots fan first, but I do like the Texans. I get plenty of chances to see the Texans games on tv here (not so much the Patriots unless it's a nationally televised game or against one of the TX teams). I love to watch J.J. Watt. Opposing offensive linemen must have nightmares before a game with the Texans. He's about unblockable, one on one, and usually gets at least double teamed. Reminds me of Bob Lilly of the Cowboys in his prime.

Yes, we could compare notes on USPS issues, including forwarding mail when we go back and forth between NH and TX in the summer.... Oh, well, I can entertain myself trying to track the whereabouts of SPL meter today.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Wayne and Rick,

The postal tracking software leaves a bit to be desired but my Amazon Prime packages almost always arrive on time and are early more often than late. I'm even receiving deliveries on Sunday's... Amazon has to be saving the USPS's bacon except for the fact that they were really equipped to handle a lot of packages like UPS and FedEx.

JJ Watt is a beast! He played for the Badgers and was fun to watch in college but I'm not sure we knew then just how successful he would be in the NFL. Both of his younger brothers play for the Badgers as well. Talk about a blessed family!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, Splash51

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
Hi, T Cobe

Did you end up getting an AC-9 Pangea to test out? I'd be be interested in any comparisons you can make between the SQ of the AC-9 and the AC-14SE, on any component.

Anti-Cable recommends using the top of the line Reference 3, 8 gauge cable for everything, including sources as a first priority to test, but also amps. Pangea recommends the AC-14SE for sources, AC-9 for more power hungry components like amps. Differences in cable design, differences in application philosophy? Who knows. In addition to whatever unique product design features that are built in, like highest quality copper, gold plated connections, type of insulation, on and on, it seems it's a common theme to recommend using a power cord whose power handling capacity is WAY above any component's max draw. Whether that's to provide plenty of spare capacity for clean power in max transients, or noise floor control, or whatever, I haven't a clue. I suppose some combination of all of the above. 8 gauge cable is rated to handle in excess of 11,000 watts on a continuous basis. My OPPO can only use a TINY fraction of the power handling capacity of that 8 gauge Anti-Cable feeding it, but it sure does make a huge SQ difference. How would a smaller gauge Pangea AC 14SE sound on that OPPO? I'm going to find out. I suspect cable design has a relatively larger effect on SQ than cable gauge .

The magic is somewhere in the stew. Moderator Dude, please feel free to weigh in on what you or Dave, who you referred to earlier in this thread, have found re the effect of using the various gauge Pangea or other cords you have tried in the shows.

Thanks! Happy listening.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Rick,

I haven't ordered the AC-9 SE MKII yet. The price premium goes from $49.99 to $175 over the 14-gauge. I will definitely get a few once I have my pre/pro worked out. I plan to start with 2 and experiment between my amps and T1s. As far as I can tell, the primary difference between the two is wire gauge. I get that it is a lot more copper but tripling the cost seems a bit excessive. At that point, it's not as high a value.

If I don't notice a difference on my T1s or monoblocks, I may move one to my XPA-5. That is probably the most power hungry component I have at this point. Since I'll have to add another large amp for my Atmos speakers, the second cable may be reserved for that amp. In the meantime, I should test the AC-14 on my XPA-5. I suspect the stock cable supplied by Emotiva is smaller that 14 gauge...

I look forward to your feedback. I can't imagine a source component needing more than 14 gauge. Does Anti-Cable make power cords that thin? I agree that the design should have more bearing than gauge since you're not likely to ever even come close to drawing enough current on a source component to exceed the capacity of a 14 gauge cable. If you do, something has probably shorted out!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline

T Cobe wrote: I can't imagine a source component needing more than 14 gauge. Does Anti-Cable make power cords that thin? I agree that the design should have more bearing than gauge since you're not likely to ever even come close to drawing enough current on a source component to exceed the capacity of a 14 gauge cable. If you do, something has probably shorted out!

Cheers,

T Cobe

Hi, T Cobe

Anti-Cable power cords come in three levels:
Level 1: 14 gauge
Level 2: 11 gauge
Level 3 reference: 8 gauge.

I don't know what subtle design differences there are between the cords in addition to the obvious difference in copper content.

Rick
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back