heart Power Cords

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
anthem Posted 8 years 8 months ago
I too like the Anti-Cable Reference 3 powercord plugged into an Emotiva CMX -6 and then into a Emotiva CMX - 2. I've tried plugging directly into the wall, but always come back to the CMX's. The sound produced when plugged into the wall, sounds brighter and less neutral. I, like Rick, couldn't live without one on the Oppo 105 or CA Azur 840C cd player. I've also installed one on the Torii and it is there to stay (love the sound). Today I brought the Primaluna Premium Preamp back into the system, and am using an Decware DHC -1 silver power cord on it...everything is plugged into the CMX's including the Venom 3's on the T2's. Had a wonderful afternoon playing some sweet jazz.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Splash51's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 408
Splash51 Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Hi all and Happy New year :cheer:

I have been testing with the AQ NRG-X3 power cables. I 1st used the cables on source equipment, Yamaha AVR/Oppo 103. Individually and together into the wall then the Panamax. In a nutshell with the AQ cables into the wall I could hear an improvement in all cases with source gear. Into the Panamax not so noticeable (at least by my ears) a difference. I could hear a little improvement on a few tracks on well recorded music. Dire Straits BIA on SACD and Steely Dan Aja.

I could not hear a difference when the XPA-1s were using the AQs. I only have 2 cables so I could not try with both sources and amps together. I suspect I wont hear a difference with 4 of them. The improvement is definitely noticeable on source gear, with the most improvement when the Yamaha used the AQ cable.

One factor I see that will effect results in differing systems with power conditioners is how the power conditioner is designed. The Panamax 5300 I am using has 5 banks with 2 outlet each. Each bank is filtered and isolated from the others. I have plugged the source devices into the same bank. So the noise generated by the DSP's is isolated from the other components. I am not surprised there was just a little improvement when the AQs were plugged into the conditioner. I am assuming the AQs filter what is left or at least some of it between the 2 devices in that bank.

I did not try combinations switching banks between source and others, too much trouble ;)

My next venture with this will be to try the anti-cable 3s to see if these will make a difference over the AQ's

My Panamax setup is:

Bank 5 XPA-1(2 of them)
Bank 4 XPA-1L/ open
Bank 3 Triton 1s(2 of them)
Bank 2 Yamaha/Oppo
Bank 1 TV/XBOX1

Enjoy,
DT

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline

Splash51 wrote: Hi all and Happy New year :cheer:

I have been testing with the AQ NRG-X3 power cables. I 1st used the cables on source equipment, Yamaha AVR/Oppo 103. Individually and together into the wall then the Panamax. In a nutshell with the AQ cables into the wall I could hear an improvement in all cases with source gear. Into the Panamax not so noticeable (at least by my ears) a difference. I could hear a little improvement on a few tracks on well recorded music. Dire Straits BIA on SACD and Steely Dan Aja.

I could not hear a difference when the XPA-1s were using the AQs. I only have 2 cables so I could not try with both sources and amps together. I suspect I wont hear a difference with 4 of them. The improvement is definitely noticeable on source gear, with the most improvement when the Yamaha used the AQ cable.

One factor I see that will effect results in differing systems with power conditioners is how the power conditioner is designed. The Panamax 5300 I am using has 5 banks with 2 outlet each. Each bank is filtered and isolated from the others. I have plugged the source devices into the same bank. So the noise generated by the DSP's is isolated from the other components. I am not surprised there was just a little improvement when the AQs were plugged into the conditioner. I am assuming the AQs filter what is left or at least some of it between the 2 devices in that bank.

I did not try combinations switching banks between source and others, too much trouble ;)

My next venture with this will be to try the anti-cable 3s to see if these will make a difference over the AQ's

My Panamax setup is:

Bank 5 XPA-1(2 of them)
Bank 4 XPA-1L/ open
Bank 3 Triton 1s(2 of them)
Bank 2 Yamaha/Oppo
Bank 1 TV/XBOX1

Enjoy,
DT

Hi, DT

Thanks for the great report! I'll be awaiting your feedback on the effect of the Anti-Cable reference level 3's vs the AQ's on your sources. The more testing and reporting, the better!

Re cords with and without power conditioners, I have played some with the Anti-Cables plugged in direct vs. into a Furman conditioner/surge controller. So far, I like the SQ just a tad better plugged in direct. Just a little cleaner, but not the BIG difference of Anti-Cables vs. stock cords.

For anyone testing different power cords on components, what I have found is that my OPPO 105 wants a full power down from standby mode, with a chance to let the capacitors discharge, before being plugged in and rebooted again. After changing where cords were plugged in, for testing, several times, I spent a frustrating hour or two this afternoon trying to get the OPPO to recognize and play Rogue Nation in ATMOS mode (it couldn't find the ATMOS encoded soundtrack, despite being in auto mode), and I finally unplugged the OPPO, again, and let it sit for an hour, plugged it in again, and it's back to it's old self, finds ATMOS encoded soundtracks. (So, for those waiting for a report on how this Blu-ray sounds in Atmos, it will be a day or two. Note to Anthem, I got the volume up to to mid 90's db's.. probably quiet conversation level to you, and my ears didn't want it any higher. Sorry, that's probably wimp level to you, but, man it was loud! Haven't gotten to the motorcycle scene yet, will try my best to crank the volume further). Absolutely NO speaker issues at that point.. just thunderous SQ. This DVD is an absolute winner.. Something fell in the kitchen when the sound was booming.... haven't discovered what it was yet).

Keep the great feedback coming, DT!! It's appreciated.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, Splash51, T Cobe

• Tsgt2007's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 161
Tsgt2007 Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Hello everyone!
Great information as always! I would like to know the sound difference between AQ and the Anti Cable 3's..
Jose

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 8 months ago
My Oppo cannot find any Atmos encoded track either, but that may be because nobody over here knows (or cares?)
about it.
I want to comment on the volume conversation too, but will do that over on the Blu-ray thread.
All the best guys!
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395, Splash51, T Cobe

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Rick

Something fell in the kitchen when the sound was booming...probably your wife. :laugh:
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back