• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline

anthem wrote: Rick

Something fell in the kitchen when the sound was booming...probably your wife. :laugh:

Gee, maybe she WAS home after all when the sound was blasting and she dropped the volume control in her haste to turn it down... :P

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 7 months ago
Since the question was asked and the discussion was started over again, I thought I would give this a bump for those interested in reading all about our previous discussions on power cords. It's just a short 46 pages... Enjoy!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, Dilettante, rjohn79395

• Splash51's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 408
Splash51 Posted 8 years 6 months ago
Hello everyone :cheer:

I have some follow up info that might interest you. I decided to dig out my Adcom GFA 555II and see how it sounded compared to the Emotiva XPA-1s. I was hearing some loss in clarity and having some ear fatigue that was new?? Last I tried the Adcom was just after I got the Triton 1s and an XPA-2. It sounded really good. I decided to go with Emotiva amps for ease of use(trigger inputs).

Anyway the Adcom sounded so clean and pure it made the XPA-1s sound BAD :( The detail and depth was noticeable, and not just a little bit!!! I had decided to send the XPA-1s back :angry: As I thought why did the XPA-1s degrade it came to mind the Adcom was plugged into the wall and not the Panamax. I had also moved the plugs around in the Panamax to cause a larger delay in power on sequence. With one of the XPA-1s not in the non-current limiting plug. This is also when I started noticing ear fatigue.

I hooked the XPA-1s back up and plugged them into the wall. WOW they were now better than ever!! Crisp clear lots of depth and detail. I was also hearing some details I had never heard before in my reference material!!!! So I have concluded the Panamax 5300 has a negative effect on the high current audio equipment. This may also explain why the source equipment sounded better with the Audio Quest cables connected to the Panamax. I am going to order the power conditioners from Emotiva. I also want to try the anti-cables soon. If they improve on what I am hearing now I will need to wear "depends" when listening!!!!!

Enjoy,
DT
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 8 years 6 months ago
I thought wearing Depends and listening to Great Speakers/Music went hand in hand.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 6 months ago

Splash51 wrote: Hello everyone :cheer:

I have some follow up info that might interest you. I decided to dig out my Adcom GFA 555II and see how it sounded compared to the Emotiva XPA-1s. I was hearing some loss in clarity and having some ear fatigue that was new?? Last I tried the Adcom was just after I got the Triton 1s and an XPA-2. It sounded really good. I decided to go with Emotiva amps for ease of use(trigger inputs).

Anyway the Adcom sounded so clean and pure it made the XPA-1s sound BAD :( The detail and depth was noticeable, and not just a little bit!!! I had decided to send the XPA-1s back :angry: As I thought why did the XPA-1s degrade it came to mind the Adcom was plugged into the wall and not the Panamax. I had also moved the plugs around in the Panamax to cause a larger delay in power on sequence. With one of the XPA-1s not in the non-current limiting plug. This is also when I started noticing ear fatigue.

I hooked the XPA-1s back up and plugged them into the wall. WOW they were now better than ever!! Crisp clear lots of depth and detail. I was also hearing some details I had never heard before in my reference material!!!! So I have concluded the Panamax 5300 has a negative effect on the high current audio equipment. This may also explain why the source equipment sounded better with the Audio Quest cables connected to the Panamax. I am going to order the power conditioners from Emotiva. I also want to try the anti-cables soon. If they improve on what I am hearing now I will need to wear "depends" when listening!!!!!

Enjoy,
DT

Thanks for the update, DT!

It's amazing how power conditioners, components, and yes power cords can interact, often differently depending on the system and specific component.

I found that my Anti-Cable power cords and attached sources (AVR and OPPO) just sound some cleaner if I plug them in directly, and not into the Furman power conditioner. Not as dramatic as you described, but just a little cleaner. Others describe very different experiences, with better sound through a power conditioner. When I talked on the phone to Anti-Cable folks, they described how the "softening" effect of a power conditioner can make their power cord work differently ("harder" is the term he used), so maybe with Audio Quest and a stock power cord also??. I do believe that power conditioners work on noise already IN the line feeding the component, and power cords have a filtering effect on digital processing noise created BY the component, and the power conditioners and power cords can interact in many ways, some good, some not so good.

I'm glad you're back to the WOW level with your system, and will be waiting to hear what effect Anti-Cables have on YOUR system (maybe try plugging in directly and into whatever power conditioner you end up using??).

Happy listening! It IS about enjoying what we're hearing after all.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, Dilettante, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 6 months ago
Thanks, DT! Great information in support of this topic. I'm glad your Emotiva gear didn't let you down. I hope the Anti-Cables impress and I look forward to your findings.

I had a similar experience a few weeks ago. After moving my gear around, my pre-amp and CD player were a little far from electrical outlets. In order to reach, I used the stock power cables. After firing everything up, I was very disappointed by the sound. I didn't immediately realize what the issue was but when I added a surge protector and my Pangea cords, everything sounded great. More than ever, this made me a believer in upgraded power cables.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, Dilettante, rjohn79395

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back