heart Power Cords

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
T Cobe Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Rick,

That's a great app and I can see what your describing. I wish it came with instructions... It does seem to be measuring a broad frequency range. It still doesn't seem to be as accurate as my sound level meter but there are adjustments to be made. Have you found a way to change the settings to display dBs on a positive scale? Did you make any adjustments for mic sensitivity? Thanks for the reference! This looks like another tool for the tool box.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline

T Cobe wrote: Rick,

That's a great app and I can see what your describing. I wish it came with instructions... It does seem to be measuring a broad frequency range. It still doesn't seem to be as accurate as my sound level meter but there are adjustments to be made. Have you found a way to change the settings to display dBs on a positive scale? Did you make any adjustments for mic sensitivity? Thanks for the reference! This looks like another tool for the tool box.

Cheers,

T Cobe

Hi, Cobe

I found this app when I did a Google search for "best RTA app's", and this one was the most recommended. I should have saved the page with all the one's mentioned.

In the settings section of the app, options to adjust include software gain (default is 0 db), hardware gain (default is -6 db), band measurements (increments options are 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512 and 1024), start frequency (default is 20 HZ), and end frequency (default is 20,000 HZ). I don't see an option for displaying db's on a positive scale. I haven't really played around with adjustments yet. I'll try to compare the levels to what the the stand alone SPL meter I just ordered is telling me.

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 8 years 8 months ago

T Cobe wrote: DT and Rick,

I have found the apps to be less accurate than the sound level meters. When conducting my testing that I've previously discussed, my app topped out at 93 dB while the meter went to 96 dB for the stock cords and 100 dB for the Pangeas. I suspect the app is even less accurate at the low frequencies. When calibrating my subs, I've found the app to be erratic whereas the sound level meter is fairly consistent and stable. Just my experience. Thanks for the feedback! I may try a few of those other apps. 75 dB average is my usual listening level as well, Rick. I occasionally put the pedal to the metal, but I want to keep my hearing so I can continue to enjoy the music well into my golden years... :laugh:

Cheers,

T Cobe

Its actually worse than that. The phone's mics have built in input limiters which, as far as I know, cannot be bypassed by an SPL meter app. I have been told by engineers that the apps are only good to compare ONE SET LEVEL, like setting all your speakers to 80dB for example. Other than that, you need a SPL reading device like the ones mentioned in this thread. Accurate good ones can be quite expensive (the Radio Shack meter, RIP, is an example of a cheap one that works well within its significant limitations).
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, Splash51, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
OK, my last post on this thread said I was going to test just more Anti-Cords. Well, based on T Cobe's favorable comments about his Pangea AC 14SE MKll experiments, and the Moderator Dude's comments about GEt using various power cords including Pangea in their trade show set ups, I decided to test a Pangea first. So, I just received a Pangea 1.5m 14SE MKll, and plugged it into my left front T1, to let it break in some. No conclusions yet. I still have three powered components I need to make power cord decisions on: two T1's and a NAD C275BEE amp that feeds the T1's.

I really want to get some impressions from the Pangea on how it affects SQ. I am more and more convinced that power cord selection can nudge SQ in whatever direction one wants it to go. The Venom 3 nudged my AVR to a softer side, the Anti-Cables moved my AVR AND OPPO to FANTASTIC clarity. With clarity comes playback of every every fault also. I'm now wanting to understand what the Pangea does for my various components, so I'll also try it on the the OPPO, and the Marantz, in addition to the NAD and T1's,and then try to draw some conclusions about where I want to nudge SQ, and hence where to use it, and what cords to get for the remaining two components still using stock cords. I've no intention of disconnecting my two Anti-Cords: what they've done for my system is fantastic and will get used somewhere, but I still want to see what fine tuning options I have with different cords on different components before a decision on the what I should get for the final two cords and where the Anti-Cords I already have provide the most benefit.

Re where to use 14 gauge vs. 12 or 9 gauge cords, what I'm reading says that a 14 gauge cord can support, at 110v, a 12 amp, 1440 watt continuous load (80% of max load, to avoid heat build up). That works just fine for T2's, and is on the edge of what a T1 could draw (1,600 watts) if continuously driven at the max (who would do that???) I would guess that for 99+% of users, a 14 gauge power cord would do just fine on any of the Triton powered towers. Not sure how a 14 gauge cord would handle a 1,600 watt transient peak. I'd probably go with a an AC 9 on a T1 "in case".

More testing to come over the next several days.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Rick,

Thanks for the follow up. Someone has been doing some shopping! Shunyata, Anti-Cable, Pangea, sound level meter, and movies... Are you an Amazon guy as well? I look forward to your impressions on Rogue Nation and the results of using your sound meter versus the app on your mobile device.

I wonder if, by way of comparison, you may be willing to include some pictures of the 3 different power cables side by side? In my experiments, running the Pangeas on the T1s yielded better bass dynamics during home theater in the sub section at high volumes. Rogue Nation offered a perfect opportunity to put that theory to the test. I could not perceive any significant difference to the rest of the audible frequency range. I did not do a lot of switching or have one plugged in at a time. The extra sub power and cosmetic improvement was enough for me.

I also did not extensively test my music with and without the cables on my amplifiers. I may go back and test for any differences later. Listening the The Ultimate Demonstration Disk Volume 2 again last night and this morning, I'm still convinced the cords added a perceptible amount of warmth and body to the music with them added to my pre-amp and CD player. If I were starting from stock, that would definitely be the first place I would start. I will probably add a Pangea power cable to any new source component I add. I am enjoying my music more than ever and in the end, that's what it's all about. Happy listening, Rick!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
Hi, T Cobe

I'm still waiting for the new SPL... I'm not happy with USPS service! They lost a battery tester I ordered in December, and now the SL meter is overdue. I want to test the new meter vs. the SPL and RTA app's on the iphone. I also have a tone generator, and want to see how everything compares at different frequencies.

The MI Rogue Nation Blu-ray is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I really want the new SPL meter here to do some SL testing. I'll listen to the soundtrack with or without the new SPL, but I want to get a good db reading of the motorcycle scene at some point. I'll also post my impressions of the ATMOS sound track.

Yes, I am a proud Amazon Prime member. We get more stuff from Amazon than from any retail store.

Re the three different power cords, I'll take some pictures soon. The Anti-Cable is the diameter winner by far. It's a beast!

So far, I have heard the biggest effects from power cords (Anti-Cables) on source components (AVR, OPPO), which is also what the Anti-Cord lit suggests, though I remain impressed with what the Venom 3's do for my T2's. Given the Moderator' Dude's comments that he has experienced larger effects on high power users like amp's, I want to test both the Pangea and the Anti-Cable on the NAD stereo amp and the T1's (the Venom 3 did NOT change the T1's SQ in the 65-75 db range, including bass). I have not tested any after market power cords on the NAD stereo amp yet (I just got it back today from warranty repairs on the trigger circuit, and yes the T1's really love the extra power and dynamics of the NAD amp).

More to follow...

Rick
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back