heart Power Cords

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 8 months ago

Splash51 wrote: Quick update, I have found apps for Android/IOS devices that uses the internal mic to feed an SPL app. I am using one called decibel, seems to work fine and keeps a log, measures in unweighted as well as A C Z? Anyway I'm back in business.

DT

Hi, Splash51

I have three sound measurement app's on my iphone: db meter, SPL meter, and RTA Audio. RTA Audio shows sound levels by frequency range. The reviews are pretty good re accuracy vs. more expensive stand alone meters. I seem to get a good correlation between the three app's.

I like to check listening sound levels on stuff I like, and use the RTA Audio app to see the frequency ranges being played. I find that my favorite listening level is in the 75 db range, and per the RTA Audio app, there's lots of content in the 20-35 HZ range when I'm playing music with good bass and the T1's and T2's are doing their thing. I almost never listen to 2 channel music, but play at least the T1's, T2's and SCXXL, and often add the ceiling Invisa's. I would guess that a lot of the bass is being contributed by the T1's, but I've never tried playing just the T1's or T2's to see which is contributing what. I just like the combination too much to dissect it further.

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by T Cobe. info_outline
DT and Rick,

I have found the apps to be less accurate than the sound level meters. When conducting my testing that I've previously discussed, my app topped out at 93 dB while the meter went to 96 dB for the stock cords and 100 dB for the Pangeas. I suspect the app is even less accurate at the low frequencies. When calibrating my subs, I've found the app to be erratic whereas the sound level meter is fairly consistent and stable. Just my experience. Thanks for the feedback! I may try a few of those other apps. 75 dB average is my usual listening level as well, Rick. I occasionally put the pedal to the metal, but I want to keep my hearing so I can continue to enjoy the music well into my golden years... :laugh:

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• Splash51's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 408
Splash51 Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Hi Guy's

The range of the app meters is limited to the sensitivity of the hardware. The top end on most of them is 91~93dB and bottom is 60ish.
T Cobe's observations prove this to be true. the frequency range is also limited, 50 - 3500Hz I got this info from one of the apps descriptions. It was very informative and had links to some research on the topic.

I too listen in the 75~80dB range. The T1s do add a lot of low frequency, paired with T2s I can only imagine how the sound must wrap around the room!!!

Enjoy!!

DT
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by WayneWilmeth. Reason: forgot info_outline
Hi guys,
I got one like this on Amazon for around $20. Works better than a phone app I am pretty sure.
www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-TM-Decibel-...=digital+sound+meter

God bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline

Splash51 wrote: Hi Guy's

The range of the app meters is limited to the sensitivity of the hardware. The top end on most of them is 91~93dB and bottom is 60ish.
T Cobe's observations prove this to be true. the frequency range is also limited, 50 - 3500Hz I got this info from one of the apps descriptions. It was very informative and had links to some research on the topic.

I too listen in the 75~80dB range. The T1s do add a lot of low frequency, paired with T2s I can only imagine how the sound must wrap around the room!!!

Enjoy!!

DT

Hi, DT

There does appear to be a fair amount of variance in what people have to say about individual SPL phone app's, and the limits of the phone software and hardware to pick up and process various db and frequency ranges.

I have an iphone 6. I've read that prior to the iOS 6 operating system (the latest OS is 9.2), there was a low pass filter that blocked frequencies under 50 HZ, and that that has since been removed. I don't know what changes in mic sensitivity came along with the iphone 6. My RTA Audio app shows readings in the sub 35 HZ frequency range... can't say how accurate those readings are, but they do pop up when deep bass is being played. The upper end of the frequency bands is 12k on the RTA app. Again, I can't speak to accuracy, but the 12k band really pops when higher notes are played, like in soprano voices. Most music shows in in the 5k and down bands. I suspect accuracy tends to be less above 5k.

Re db levels, I have seen readouts in a quiet room in the upper 30's on both the db and SPL Meter app's... that's "quiet library" territory. I have not tried taking readings at REALLY loud SPL's.. the highest db readings I have taken have been more like the 80's, so I don't know what the app's would say at the loudest levels. I worry more about my ears than accurate db readings in that territory.

I do take the readings I take with a grain of salt. But I have come to believe that in the 50-80+ db range, I'm getting a fairly good ballpark range of the true SPL. I think the number of SPL app designers, and smart phone SPL app users is pushing the smart phone developers to better support these app's with their software/hardware decisions.

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395

WayneWilmeth wrote: Hi guys,
I got one like this on Amazon for around $20. Works better than a phone app I am pretty sure.
www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-TM-Decibel-...=digital+sound+meter

God bless,
Wayne

Thanks, Wayne

I just ordered one. I'll compare readings to the iphone app's and report back.

Rick
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back