heart Power Cords

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
T Cobe Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Thanks for the info, Anthem. That's certainly a viable option. I'd have to save up a few weeks to purchase 2 at once. I'd really like to upgrade both my CD player and pre-amp at the same time. I think this would be the best way to hear the difference if I'm going to be able to in my set up. If we form a club, can we make group purchases and get a discount? :)

I have 4 dedicated outlets on their own panel in my theater. I suspect my power is already very "clean". The only noise or interference getting into the system is from my gear. All gear makes noise but it's a matter of how much. I do have a little bit here and there I'd like to clean up but I'm not sure of the source. Cables may certainly make a difference and I will give it a try.

As I posted earlier, I'm a bit tapped right now and want to save up for the Marantz 7702 mkII OR the pending Anthem AVM 60. This will give me the option to shift things around in my 2-channel setup. In either case, I need to save up my pennies and pay off some debt first. Things should be back to normal by the end of January. Right about the time the Anthem pre/pro is released... Thanks for bearing with my deliberations and uncertainty.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by Moderator. info_outline

T Cobe wrote: Moderator,

Thank you for your reply and insight into the Tritons. It sounds like power cords are a worth while upgrade and we have received some great testimonials from forum members but their experience pales in comparison to industry pros that do this every day. It sounds like a great place to start would be any source components and pre/pros, followed by the GET powered towers and amps.

Based on your experience and the various demos that GET does on a regular basis, do you have any personal recommendations for power cords? I've read reviews on a lot of products on-line and besides Shunyata and Anti-Cables, are there other brands worth considering? I like what I see and have read on products from Pangea, PS Audio, and AudioQuest. Any insight you would be willing to share would be greatly appreciated.

I have to imagine GET has experience with and access to a lot of options. Specifically, I'd like to focus on solutions that can be obtained for under $200 per cable. From my searches, I can pick up a 2 meter Pangea AC 14SE MKII for $70. That would allow me to connect my pre-amp and CD player for $140. Much as I would love to try more costly alternatives, right now I just can't swing it. I have a pre/pro to save up to purchase and am recovering from a vacation and car purchase. Thank you in advance for any first hand experience you may be willing to share.

Cheers,

T Cobe

I'm afraid I don't have any specific feedback for you. One of the GoldenEar guys, Dave, is more knowledgeable, and opinionated, on the power cord power conditioner topic. I'll ask him to weigh in here.

What I can tell you is that power cords as an upgrade typically does make a difference on any component, but my experience has shown more of a difference on power hungry components like amps and subs. Like all upgrades, these tend to be additive with the sum total result of all the little upgrades making a pretty significant difference. All of our tradeshow demos use aftermarket power cords for every component, and ac line filtering for the small stuff. We use Pangea in various gauges and have used Shunyata and PS and Audioquest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, Splash51, T Cobe

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Hi, T Cobe

Lots of feed back for you here. My $.02 worth: a lot of the noise that power cords deal with is coming from the power hungry components themselves, as the Moderator Dude has pointed out, more so than from external sources. My T2's are on one 20 amp circuit, and the other components are on a separate 20 amp circuit. Power cords helped in both cases. At this point (having tried two different brands, Anti-Cable and Shunyata Venom 3's), I favor the Anti-Cables, because of how much they "cleaned up" the SQ on the AVR and the OPPO (and, I wasn't hearing staticy noise to begin with, it's just that everything got so much clearer). If I had it all to do over again, I'd probably try level 1 Anti-Cables on the T2's vs, the Venom 3's, and would most definitely stay with the Reference level 3 Anti-Cable for the AVR and the OPPO. Is all this effect "transportable" to other systems? I don't know, but what i can say is that IMHO it is worth a 30 day trial just to see, because the reward can be a lot more than just a little subtle.

I totally agree with your wanting to get all component decisions done first, but when you are "settled in", I highly recommend giving upgraded power cords a risk free try. You're building a great system, and I have come to the conclusion that power cords can play a role in how a system sounds and plays.

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, T Cobe

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 8 years 8 months ago
For your Consideration..
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Bro Anthem, a little wordy, but enjoyable.
He lost me though when he said his reference speakers were Gallo 3.1.
Whoa, he needs to hear some GEt speakers!!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Thanks for the video, Anthem! Yeah, those Spatial Audio M3s look like an interesting design, but I'm VERY happy with my T1s and won't be switching out any time soon.... :laugh: ;)

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back