heart Power Cords

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
T Cobe Posted 8 years 9 months ago
Anthem,

I don't doubt your results in your system but I believe there are a lot of variables that can come into play to definitively say one cable will do the job for everyone. There are different pieces of equipment, variations in the cleanliness of the voltage at the outlets, various components sharing the same outlets potentially creating different feedback, the list could go on. I think you and Dilettante have reported different results using the same cables, correct?

My local AV pro said it was a matter of trial and error with power cables and trying to find the right filter for your system and your listening preferences. All of this leads me to believe there is no one "perfect" solution. Does that make sense?

I'm thankful that you and Rick are finding the needles in the haystacks and at reasonable prices so that the rest of us can benefit from your experience. Any more findings on the audio interconnects with your various components?

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, Splash51

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 8 years 9 months ago
T Cobe

You say your local AV pro says it a matter of trial and error with power cables...he has never heard the Anti-Cable Reference 3 powercord has he? He and everyone else can spew out scientific garbage of why this should work and why that doesn't work. Let's not beat a dead horse...try one...prove me wrong.

Here is an email from Dilettante after he had loaned me his Anti-Cable Reference 3 powercord...he substituted it with Venom 3:

I have had company since I arrived back home - have not had a minute to myself to play my system. But Thursday night, I was privileged to have a Dove Award singer (Karen Peck) in my home. I asked if I could play something of hers on my system for them - I had my shoulders back, cocky - ready to show them what a GREAT system I had. Well, she got her latest CD out of her car and we put it in - it was terrible!! Highs were so bright/blaring - Yuck. I kept changing things on the amp to try to make it sound better - zip - zero - nothing. Finally I stopped playing with it - hung my head and turned the system off - dejected - why had my system failed me at a very important time? Then I remembered that I had the V3 plugged into the OPPO and not the AntiCable! So tell me if you have heard enough - what you think - and whether you are going to get one or not. Really curious…and anxious to get my old quality sound back. I knew the V3s didn’t work in my system - I told you that - now I am doubly sure of it. AntiCable come home to me!!
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Anthem,

I'm not sure if my AV pro has tried the Anti-Cable or not but I would suspect not. I'm certainly not arguing against them and if they offer a risk free trial, I may try them myself. I'm glad you found and recommend a cable that doesn't look like it belongs on a dental chair. :laugh:

As I've said before, I trust your ear and have no doubt that the Anti-Cable sounds better in your setup, I was only trying to point out that others mileage may vary, that's all. Since there is a risk free trial period and some of our trusted forum members recommend them, it seems like a great place to start. Once I'm ready to start fine tuning things, I'll give them a try.

Thank you again for your time and insight. I look forward to hearing more about the Anti-Cable interconnects as time permits. I hope your wife is feeling better and your holiday preparations are on track.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 8 years 9 months ago

Splash51 wrote: Hi Moderator, I have a question for GET that refers to this power cord thread. I have read most of these comments but not all. So if this has been asked before my apologies.

The claims by these power cord manufacturers is:
The shielding and type/gauge of copper used removes line noise and provides a path out of the attached supply for noise generated internal to the attached device.

Question 1
Do the Triton(1,2,3) series power supplies have any filtering built in to handle this noise?

Question 2
If so, does this filtering differ between Tritons towers?

Question 3
If there is a difference, what are they?

I can understand other components like disc players and processor units having some noise issues, as the DSP's vary as does board design. Both can effect output noise on the power line that they don't really care about as long as it passes UL and FCC regs.

Thanks,
DT

Steering clear of claims and preferences here, in answer to your questions:

1) The Triton amps use multiple filtered power supplies to deal with line noise effectively.

2) The Triton One utilizes a more elaborate power supply.

3) Different DSP, more stages of power supply filtering (utilizes multiple small supplies instead of multiple circuits pulling from fewer, larger supplies).

The amps are digital, meaning they can produce the same digital noise as any digital device can/does.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, Splash51, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by T Cobe. info_outline

Moderator wrote:

Splash51 wrote: Hi Moderator, I have a question for GET that refers to this power cord thread. I have read most of these comments but not all. So if this has been asked before my apologies.

The claims by these power cord manufacturers is:
The shielding and type/gauge of copper used removes line noise and provides a path out of the attached supply for noise generated internal to the attached device.

Question 1
Do the Triton(1,2,3) series power supplies have any filtering built in to handle this noise?

Question 2
If so, does this filtering differ between Tritons towers?

Question 3
If there is a difference, what are they?

I can understand other components like disc players and processor units having some noise issues, as the DSP's vary as does board design. Both can effect output noise on the power line that they don't really care about as long as it passes UL and FCC regs.

Thanks,
DT

Steering clear of claims and preferences here, in answer to your questions:

1) The Triton amps use multiple filtered power supplies to deal with line noise effectively.

2) The Triton One utilizes a more elaborate power supply.

3) Different DSP, more stages of power supply filtering (utilizes multiple small supplies instead of multiple circuits pulling from fewer, larger supplies).

The amps are digital, meaning they can produce the same digital noise as any digital device can/does.

Moderator,

Thank you for your reply and insight into the Tritons. It sounds like power cords are a worth while upgrade and we have received some great testimonials from forum members but their experience pales in comparison to industry pros that do this every day. It sounds like a great place to start would be any source components and pre/pros, followed by the GET powered towers and amps.

Based on your experience and the various demos that GET does on a regular basis, do you have any personal recommendations for power cords? I've read reviews on a lot of products on-line and besides Shunyata and Anti-Cables, are there other brands worth considering? I like what I see and have read on products from Pangea, PS Audio, and AudioQuest. Any insight you would be willing to share would be greatly appreciated.

I have to imagine GET has experience with and access to a lot of options. Specifically, I'd like to focus on solutions that can be obtained for under $200 per cable. From my searches, I can pick up a 2 meter Pangea AC 14SE MKII for $70. That would allow me to connect my pre-amp and CD player for $140. Much as I would love to try more costly alternatives, right now I just can't swing it. I have a pre/pro to save up to purchase and am recovering from a vacation and car purchase. Thank you in advance for any first hand experience you may be willing to share.

Cheers,

T Cobe
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by anthem. info_outline
T Cobe:

You asked about a phenomenal power cord in the $200 price bracket, have I got a cord for you...hold on to your shorts.

The AntiCable Level 1 may be right up your alley. It's for the beginners who want to get a taste of what their bigger brothers ( the 2, and Reference 3) have to offer.

Level 1 Power Cord is our very nice triple 14 gauge "starter" power cord. This cord is a great choice for systems on a tight budget and a good place to start for those who have not yet experienced what a properly designed power cord is capable of providing. It out performs higher priced offerings and will get you closer to the music without adding colorations.

Level 1 Highlights:

Only $180 for 3 foot and 5 foot lengths
7 foot and 9 foot lengths available
30 day risk free trial
60 day upgrade option
Oxygen Free Copper wires with impurities reduced down to 5 parts per million
6 square mm of Copper (cable's total cross sectional area) = three #14 AWG build
Integrated noise filtering technology
Proprietary Gold Plated Oxygen Free Copper plugs
A great choice for systems on a tight budget
A good place to start, for those who have not yet experienced what a good power cord is capable of providing
Easy to bend into shape making them highly manageable
Made in USA (one at a time in Lake Elmo MN)

Mr T...Rick and I may form a Anti-Cable Club if you get one...Tempted? and if Wayne would get off his well powdered rear end and order one we could really have a club.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back