file Triton Seven

• stevemumford's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 10
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
stevemumford Posted 10 years 4 months ago
Just purchased my Triton Seven's from Barney Miller's in Lexington KY. Replaced my still awesome and trusty Snell E IV's....which have always sounded wonderful. I have had a love affair with Snell since I began selling them in 1984, and I was very sorry to hear of the company's demise in 2010.

Been updating my system....first I replaced my NAD receiver with the Jolida 302CRC EL-84-based tube amp, then replaced my old NAD 521BEE with a new NAD 546BEE. Replaced my old Monster biwire speaker cables with Morrow Audio SP-2 biwires.

Finally got around to the speakers and ran across the reviews in TAS and other pubs....reviews are extraordinarily positive so I gave them a listen and was really knocked out by the Triton Sevens in the dealer showroom. Purchased a pair, took them home and plugged them in. I am using only half of my bi-wire cables at the moment (Morrow is building me a set of SP-4 singles (banana to banana) which I will pick up tomorow. Also, I have not even inserted the floor spikes yet.....and the amp only has about 30 hours on it, along with the NAD 546 and the Morrow MA-1 interconnects, BUT, I am already blown away by these speakers.

Imaging is wonderful, sound stage is big and has depth....and the bass is excellent. Driver response is fast and accurate, the bottom end is deeper than the Snells. The kick drum sounds like a kick drum (I have played in bands for years and I know how a kick should sound), there is no mud in the bottom, bass guitars sound wonderful. Standup bass sounds nice and woody, electric bass is wonderfully detailed. Mid-range and highend is nice and smooth. Vocals are VERY nice....list to Joan Osborne or Allison Moorer and you think they are standing in front of you.

A word of caution, however. Poorly produced recordings (including highly-compressed pop-recordings) will be revealed as such...these speakers are so accurate and detailed that they let allow you to hear behind the curtain and possibly you will be disappointed with some of your old standards. Otherwise, at MSRP $1400/pr, these speakers are AMAZING. Well done......
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 10 years 4 months ago
Good grief Steve...I told my wife I wasn't going to get anymore speakers, now look what you've done :laugh:

Great review...honest and to the point.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

LOL....sorry. My ex never understood this hobby....that's why I went 20 years with out an upgrade.....and even then what I purchased 20 years ago was cobbled together from used sources.

Now that I am single again, I have been buying what I want....
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem

Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by Moderator. info_outline
This is an update on my comments from several days ago about the pair of Triton Sevens I just purchased.

I picked up my new cables from Morrow Audio in Indepence KY yesterday. They build their own cables, and they are superb. I loved the sound of the Sevens the minute I plugged them in using only the top half of my original Morrow SP-2 bi-wires. Yesterday I picked up the SP-4 standards (banana to banana) and I am highly impressed. The bottom end is deeper and more articulate (actually, more everything). The mids and highs are very smooth and sexy....liquidy (is that a real word). The HVFR tweeter is amazingly smooth and laid back. These speakers are being driven tubes (EL84) and this is a great combination of amp, cables and speaker.

When I picked up the cables, Bill Harris, one of Morrow's talented staff, asked me what I was using for speakers and mentioned the Triton Seven. Now, Morrow is a Legacy dealer, and I love their speakers, but simply could not make room for them in my budget. When I mention the Sevens, Bill remarked that he had heard them at an audio show (CES I think) and said they sounded amazing.

Anyway.....just wanted to update my post. I also played with the speaker positioning (now about eight feet apart and two feet from the back wall and about 3 feet from the side walls. I also installed the spikes and let'er rip. Worth every penny and then some. By the way, Morrow Audio offers some of the best interconnects and speaker cables on the planet. They have a great trade-up program for audioholics .....you get a taste and you just have to have more! Very nice people too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 10 years 4 months ago
Steve: you're killing me here. First it's a great Triton 7 review, now it's a " can't live without them" Morrow Audio speaker cable review.
Do you mind if the wife & I move in? :)
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 10 years 4 months ago
Good one and much appreciated Stevemumford. It sounds like you have some magic going on with that combination, especially the tube amp and the T7s. Happy to hear it, good for you!!!
You see Bro Anthem, this is the way to review speakers if you want to get quoted on the FaceBook. (we got to pick up our game dude)
Stevemumford, please keep writing as things break in and you get the speakers dialed in better in the room, or if you find any other improvements that you can pass along.
Enjoy, I am sure you will,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back