file Triton Seven

• stevemumford's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 10
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
stevemumford Posted 10 years 2 months ago
Well...I have had the Triton Sevens for a couple of months now, and I couldn't be more pleased unless I switched them out for a set of Triton Ones!!

I ungraded my speaker cables to Morrow Audio SP-4's (non-biwire) and the main interconnects from my NAD 546BEE CD player to the Jolida 302CRC to the MA-4 interconnects. The MA-1's were then diverted to the DVD to amp connection, etc.... Everything is settling in nicely......the speakers are very smooth and go deeper with the additional connection upgrades. The end result is more air, more detail, big (BIG) soundstage, which is due to the D'Appolito array configuration of the HVFR tweeter (amazing!) and the mid-woofers/mid-range drivers. I like simple, and this combination of drivers along with the 8" passive radiators (air loaded in the non-ported cabinets) is a great, simple solution..

These are great speakers.....and I really don't feel the need to add subs like some of the videophiles have mentioned in their comments. Since this equipment is all new, I am not sure that the break-in is complete (probably not), but, so far, what a nice ride!!! Even non-audiophiles who have listened to this system can tell that we are on to something special.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 10 years 2 months ago
Yes, my wife says my T7s have arrived, I am on my way home to see/hear them.
Yes, the wonderful planar speakers fall in the face of the Tritons. My Triton 2s displaced Apogee Stage speakers, and that is something.
Can't wait to hear the T7s that everyone has raved about. I think they will just be for surround speakers but we will see, they might get pride of place somewhere else.
I am EXCITED!!!!!
Will surely try to let everyone know what I hear.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

• Timecop's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 270
Timecop Posted 10 years 2 months ago
Where's your review Wayne? It's been THREE WHOLE DAYS!

As a sidenote, my triton sevens came in today, and have been playing a mix of Metallica and Diana Krall all day. Time to put them through some home-theater paces and ensure that the home-demo I did recently wasn't a fluke! (it wasn't!)
Triton Two front L/R
SuperSat 50c center
Triton Seven surround L/R
SuperSat 50 surround rear L/R
AVR Arcam AVR-21
Amp Marantz mm7025
Velodyne optimum 10” sealed, back left corner
SuperSub X front-right corner
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 10 years 2 months ago
Hey Timecop,
Metallica and Diana Krall?????
I am sure it was not a Fluke!!!!!
But can you find some real music to play BETWEEN those two?????
Just joking, I guess, different strokes for different folks.
I have not had time to listen yet, got them in the wrong room.
Report coming, and looking forward to a report from you too!!!!
Happy listening to WHATEVER
and God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 10 years 2 months ago
Timecop, ole buddy, ole pal...Metallica & Diana Krall...sounds like dementia to me. :)

Dementia is a loss of brain function with certain diseases. It affects memory, thinking, language, judgement, and behavior.
Treatment---long sessions of contemporary/ smooth jazz (preferably Candy Dulfer and Mindi Abair)

Like Wayne says, "Happy listening to WHATEVER" :cheer:
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!

• Timecop's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 270
Timecop Posted 10 years 2 months ago
Haha! Metallica for lots of low-end slam via never-ending kick drums, and Diana Krall for the subdued technicalities! But, I've got a random mix playing now.

Initially, my Marantz AVR had carried over some home-theater settings that didn't play well with 2.1 channel stereo. After I sorted that, the sevens have been playing to fantastic effect. One thing that became apparent very quickly was a weak link in the form of my second sub. I have two - both corner loaded. One is a sealed Velodyne, the other a side-ported older Infinity. The former sounds great with both music & movies, but the latter has poor decay and excessive bloom - making it "serviceable" for theater, and very poor with music. I moved my little Velondyne mini-vee out of the office into the living room to swap with the ported Infinity, and problem solved. I should probably just retire the older ported sub and pick up a musical sub as a replacement - though I don't *really* need two subs for 2 channel stereo. That said - two sealed subs sound great for music, and epic for home-theater.

Back to the sevens though. I've got a modestly sized listening room - 13' deep, 24' long with a large opening to my office, and an open walkway to the kitchen (target listening area is 13' x 18'). I'm upgrading a super-cinema 50 system, and swapping the sevens in for SS50's L/R really make a huge difference. My main complaint with the SS50's was the difficulty crossing over a sub to adequately fill in the midrange. I mean - it can be done, but it's tricky to do and you end up compromising. Unfortunately - when I was in the market three years ago, the only choices were SuperSats and Triton twos. I had asked some questions about smaller towers, but at that time - nothing was in queue (heck, the two's had just been released!).

Fast-forward a few years, and the sevens have taken over my front L/R spots - with the SS50's moving back to surrounds, and the SS3's play rear surround duty. I've still got a SS50c up front - thought about upgrading to the SS60c, but frankly I doubt it'd be worth it (I don't have room for anything larger, like the SSX or SSXL though). For my room size - the SS50c performs very well, no real need to upgrade there.

I never did a home-demo of the Triton twos, as I felt that their size was too large for my room. Well, that and that GE recommends a decent amount of space to the rear of the speaker... space I don't have to spare. That said - now that I have the sevens in, and seeing just how well they perform - I might have to home-demo the twos at some point (I'm lucky to have a dealer who'll let customers do this). Strangely enough, I've never considered the triton three - figured if I was going that far, just get the twos and be done with it.

But, this is about the sevens - and the way they play paired with sealed subs are pretty darn awesome. I did have them in my office, spread about 9' - and in that small space, I didn't feel the need to turn on the sub at all for 2 channel stereo. That room is pretty small, and I was effectively (almost) near field listening.

Anyway... where is Wayne's review?! ;)
Triton Two front L/R
SuperSat 50c center
Triton Seven surround L/R
SuperSat 50 surround rear L/R
AVR Arcam AVR-21
Amp Marantz mm7025
Velodyne optimum 10” sealed, back left corner
SuperSub X front-right corner

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back