file Triton Seven

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Moderator Posted 10 years 2 months ago
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by Moderator. info_outline
Yes, no ports. All GoldenEar speakers (except in-wall/in-ceiling models) are sealed designs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Timecop's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 270
Timecop Posted 10 years 2 months ago
Yeah, as soon as I posted that I realized that the tritons aren't ported - just that the larger versions need more rear space, but for some reason I couldn't find my post to edit until everyone started responding today. Strange that.

Anyhow, Wayne... I love bass. I have, in fact, two subwoofers in my main listening space (& one in the office, & one in the car...). However, I prefer to use subs to augment only the lowest frequencies vs. providing a lot of mid and high bass. My statement was that the triton sevens put out an impressive amount of controlled, articulate bass. For people who don't *need* that lowest octave, and I really do mean the lowest octave here, the sevens do very well.

When we talk about home theater, we'll often just defer to having a sub to get all that sub-bass that seems necessary. However, with 2 channel stereo listening - a subwoofer can often turn into a distraction because not all music requires said sub-bass. For about 92% of my music collection - I don't need sub-bass, and thus a well performing speaker that delivers clean low, mid, and upper bass will always sound better than blending in a sub.

Sandy talked about this in one of his interviews. Blend in a sub too high in the frequency range, and you'll have localization issues. Cross it over low, but turn it up too loud - you'll overpower the midrange/highs. It can be incredibly difficult to blend the sub(s) effectively so that they disappear into the listening space. A properly configured sub shouldn't call attention to itself, and should handoff seamlessly to the main speakers. And there is the crux of the issue.

Anyhow - everyone has their own personal preferences. I'll stand by my comments; in a small/medium space - the triton sevens sounded better w/o a sub for 2 channel stereo for almost all my test music.
Triton Two front L/R
SuperSat 50c center
Triton Seven surround L/R
SuperSat 50 surround rear L/R
AVR Arcam AVR-21
Amp Marantz mm7025
Velodyne optimum 10” sealed, back left corner
SuperSub X front-right corner

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 10 years 2 months ago
All good, thanks for sharing your thoughts. Proper addition of sub(s) to Triton Sevens also improves their dynamic range, taking the longest excursion stuff out will raise their maximum playing ceiling significantly. Good stuff for high volume home theater or rock/pop music playback.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 10 years 2 months ago
Thanks guys,
Funny you should mention that Timecop, my friends over here are saying the same thing, to crossover the FF5 very low, more like 40 instead of my usual 80 hz. They said it will integrate better that way. I never tried it, but intend to when I get home.
I think part of the difference in view is that you mention not needing too much bass for 2 channel. I just don't listen to that much POS, poor old stereo, any more. I do, but I really find myself gravitating to surround sound, even the old Living Stereo stuff is marvelous in 3 channel, filling in the middle with the center channel.
But I will try what you suggested, thanks, oh, and I intend to listen to me a LOT of Triton 7s soon, ON ORDER.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

• Timecop's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 270
Timecop Posted 10 years 2 months ago
I also have some Triton sevens on order... should be in this weekend or Monday. Moving my SS50's to surrounds, and the SS3's as rear surrounds (unless the SS50's sell).
Triton Two front L/R
SuperSat 50c center
Triton Seven surround L/R
SuperSat 50 surround rear L/R
AVR Arcam AVR-21
Amp Marantz mm7025
Velodyne optimum 10” sealed, back left corner
SuperSub X front-right corner

• Ken Cate's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 7
Ken Cate Posted 10 years 2 months ago
Mine are on order and will be in my hands next Wed or Thurs. I want to go back to the dealer and listen to theirs again just to experience the speakers one more time. I promise to post my own review to add weight to the communities growing opinion. Now to figure out what to do with my Maggies.....bedroom system? :whistle:

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back