file Triton 2 Midrange

• honashagen's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 61
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
honashagen Posted 8 years 7 months ago
Hello all.
I am the new owner of a pair of Triton 2 loudspeakers. I sold my KEF LS50s and Tannoy X6TFs to get the Tritons. Got them used off Audiogon. I have an issue with the midrange. It sounds kind of like if you were to take your hands and form them into a horn and put them to your mouth and start talking. Get it? Seems like the upper mids are kind of subdued too. I have never heard a reviewer say anything like this. Anyone ever experience this with the Triton 2s or heard of anyone having this issue?
Thank you in advance.
Ben
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 8 years 7 months ago
Sounds like they're broken, hope you have recourse with the seller. If you are unable to diagnose the problem on your own, take them to your local GoldenEar dealer for troubleshooting and repair.

Broken? Speakers either work or they don't. They work fine. There's no distortion. I'm trying to describe a sound characteristic. Another description might be "pinched" midrange. I suppose it could even be my room.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 8 years 7 months ago
OK, my answer assumed you have setup the speakers properly and your system works properly. If that's true, and the speakers sound anything other than wonderful, they're broken. The room will not make a good speaker sound bad in the way you describe.

"Speakers either work or they don't" is just wrong, sorry to be blunt. Maybe other forum members will chime in and help, otherwise you may want to a) seek the help of a local GoldenEar dealer, or b) email to our support desk (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.) and maybe they can help you troubleshoot and identify the problem, or c) call the office and ask for tech support.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 7 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by T Cobe. info_outline
honashagen,

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the forum! The cupped hands sound that you're describing is certainly not indicative of the T2s. They are great speakers! I'm hoping you were able to listen to them at a dealer before taking the plunge, but if not, rest assured they sound great.

Your description is somewhat limited but I'm guessing it's either room correction software or room acoustics that are troubling you. Are you using any sort of room correction? If so, try turning it off and see what you hear then. If this is the issue, try running its few more times to get the results you want or just leave it turned off. I'm not a huge fan of the room correction software I've used and have heard good speakers sound as you describe with room correction.

The other time I've heard the cupped hands sound was when I had an exposed ceiling in my basement. Sound rattling around in the floor joists above created bass bloat and a cupped hands effect. You could easily have some sort of acoustic issue with your room. The T2s are significantly more powerful than the LS50s and that can serve to aggravate room nodes.

If you could, please tell us as much about your setup as possible. The room, electronics, cables, type of use, listening levels, media, etc. The more info we have, the better we may be able to assist you. As always, a picture is worth a thousand words. Please try not to get too frustrated just yet. The T2s are great and I'm confident you'll be able to get things sorted out even if a repair is necessary. Based on your description, I doubt they would be seriously damaged if at all.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395

Thanks T!
The Goldenears are being used for 2 channel stereo only. No processor. Audible Illusions pre amp, Primaluna Prologue Premium power amp, Morrow speaker cables and interconnects, Oppo BD-105 CD player. The room is about 12 x 14. Paneled walls, carpeting, Armstrong ceiling planks. The cupped hands thing seems to go away if I play one speaker at a time. The Goldenears seem to be very picky about room placement. I have them about 3 feet from the back wall. If I move them back it gets worse. I listen to jazz, rock and classical at medium/loud levels. I don't believe there is anything physically wrong with the speakers. The mids just seem a bit veiled with that kind of being in a cardboard tube sound.
Ben
Attachments:

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back