• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
ArthurDaniels Posted 8 years 7 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by ArthurDaniels. info_outline
Hi Ben,

Here's an idea for you to try:

If you have a "spare" pair of speakers of decent quality and a spare 2-channel amplifier, place the speakers in the rear of the room, or on the sides of the room behind your listening spot. Connect the speakers so that they are "in sync" left/right as you hear them from your listening spot. Connect the speakers to the spare 2-channel amplifier and make a connection from your main amp to the spare amp to provide stereo line-level signals to the spare amp.

Then, listen to several CDs of favorite and different types of music. Adjust the volume level of the spare amp to "fill the dead space" with music. Not so loud that you can hear them in your listening spot, but loud enough that you notice their absence if you turn them off.

If this test seems to dramatically alter and improve the perceived sound coming from your GE speakers, then you might reasonably conclude that your room acoustics are responsible for your concerns.

Best,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• honashagen's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 61
honashagen Posted 8 years 7 months ago
Wow. Never done that before. Unfortunately I just sold all my good speakers. Where did you come up with that test?
Ben
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 8 years 7 months ago

honashagen wrote: Wow. Never done that before. Unfortunately I just sold all my good speakers. Where did you come up with that test?
Ben

Hi Ben,

The "test" idea is based upon my years of experience in actually listening to music with a multi-speaker setup. I have separate sides and rears, each pair driven by a separate AV receiver. I have these speakers adjusted to "fill the room" with sound. I do not notice them as a sound source when listening from my preferred listening position ("PLP"), but I do notice their absence if they are turned off.

My thought for the test is that, if you negate some of the room coloring with extra sound sources, you might be able to better judge how your room might be affecting the sound. If you have a different sound source (another AV Receiver, etc.) you could connect your Tritons to that source and listen for any differences.

Yet another idea: If you have a Test CD which provides tones at different frequencies, you can evaluate these tones in each Triton separately to see if there are any differences between the two speakers. You can find these tones as free downloads on the Web to create your own test CD, if you do not have one.

Finally: Haul the Triton Twos and an amp into another room, set them up, and listen.

Best,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

The room actually has a huge effect on the sound of any speaker.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 8 years 7 months ago
Glad you are getting lots of feedback and are having some success. A few items from us:

1) The grille sock is designed to be on for best fidelity. It should be pulled very tight to grip the cabinet and the metal grille frame.
2) You may want to slide the sock down and make sure the screws and clips holding the metal grille in place are tight and secure.
3) From your picture, we might suggest wider spacing and more toe-in - the speakers like the widest possible spacing.
4) Start with the bass level control at around 10 o'clock and adjust to room/taste.
5) The reason I suggested broken is because: a) There are five active drivers, electronics, a crossover, and two passive drivers in each speaker - a failure of any one might not be obvious without more detailed inspection, and, b) The room will NOT effect the frequency response above a frequency determined by room dimensions. For a typical size home listening rooms, that frequency is usually below 250 Hz. It may have other effects, but not any significant frequency response effects above the lower midrange. The sonic effect you initially described sounded like an issue in the mid-band.

I thought it may be the room because if I played one speaker at a time the cupped hands sound would go away. I have since tried them in the middle of the room facing a different direction and the cupped hands sound is not there. I'm sure I am have some strange room mode going on. I have installed an older solid state Rotel 990 power amp too. With the GET speakers it sounds much better than the Primaluna!
Thank you!
Ben

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back